Author Topic: Ian Thomsen Says Plan B is Cousins  (Read 6002 times)

Ian Thomsen Says Plan B is Cousins
« on: July 01, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Ian Thomsen NBATV/SI says If no Free Agents they will make a play for D. Cousins.
But likes Celts chances for Getting Durant Next Year.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:27:33 PM by Pucaccia »

Re: Ian Thomsen Say Plan B is Cousins
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 09:04:28 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
If Horford doesn't sign that we'll try to get Cousins as in right now or at the trade deadline?

Interesting hopefully now we got to be aggressive.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 09:04:31 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Durant and Horford > Cousins > Horford.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 09:08:27 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Cousins is greater than Horford but then you have to factor in what assets you are giving up to get Cousins.  I imagine quiet a lot. 

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 09:20:31 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Howard has signed with Atlanta. The way I read it, the Celtics have a very good chance of signing Horford tonite with the max they are going to give him. If that happens, anything can happen in the Durant meeting tomorrow.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 09:22:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yep.

I want Durant and Horford, but Horford and Cousins would be a huge home run.  Instead of Plan B, Cousins should be a priority.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Ian Thomsen Says Plan B is Cousins
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 09:37:41 PM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I feel like the Cousins thing has been on stealth mode this whole time.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Yep.

I want Durant and Horford, but Horford and Cousins would be a huge home run.  Instead of Plan B, Cousins should be a priority.

No question about it.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 09:44:43 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
We are going to probably have to trade Crowder, Bradley, Brown and all our picks...But I would probably do it.

Good news is that they'd probably let us keep I.T because it would be weird for him to go back there.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 09:46:40 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'm honestly not sure if I would prefer Durant over Cousins - that's a tough call.

Cousins is every bit as talented as Durant is, and every bit as dominant...given the choice I might go for Cousins given that he's on a bargain of a contract for a number of years, and he is at a position of dire need.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 09:48:19 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

TP,. Agreed.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 09:59:56 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I don't want Danny to trade Jaylen Brown or our future picks. You guys are in to much of a rush to win a championship right now when we are in good position to build a decade of contending. So what if it takes 3-4 years. What we gonna do when these players get to old n have no assets left ?

Its stupid to give up both Brooklyn picks for a team that's got a 3 year window. Be patient

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 10:35:57 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I don't want Danny to trade Jaylen Brown or our future picks. You guys are in to much of a rush to win a championship right now when we are in good position to build a decade of contending. So what if it takes 3-4 years. What we gonna do when these players get to old n have no assets left ?

Its stupid to give up both Brooklyn picks for a team that's got a 3 year window. Be patient

The "if not free agents" then Cousins part makes no sense, unless we're the clear winner in the deal (in which case of course you do it).

What makes sense is getting a grandfather offer done with Cousins, then pitch it to Durant before signing on the dotted line.

IF Durant is coming, you can afford to do something like Bradley + Crowder + KO + good picks + filler to make enough cap room. Heck, if you throw in e.g. Young and Rozier, then you maybe open enough space to just keep Jerebko.

IT / Durant / Cousins / Horford is a legitimate "Big 4", and then you surround them with young legs. Maybe 3-4 of our picks from this year, plus Smart/Mickey/Hunter and finish it with some cheap vets. Maybe sign&trade Sully or Zeller for some small asset if we can.

Example...

Bradley, Crowder, Rozier, BRK17, BRK18, MEM19 for Cousins

Remaining lineup:

IT / D.Jax
Smart / Hunter
Durant / Brown
Cousins / Mickey / Bentil
Horford / KO / Zizic

stash: Yabusele
sign: cheap vets

Depth becomes a question with the young guys, but that's a helluva Big 4 especially if Brown and Mickey can be good role players this year.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 10:42:49 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I would trade Bradley, Olynyk, Young and all of our first-round picks the next three years for Cousins. Bradley can be replaced by Smart and Olynyk can be replaced by Yabasule and Zizic.

For all we know, Cousins has demanded a trade and Vlade is busy shopping him. There's a reason they have drafted all of those centers. The Boogie Front has been too quiet.

It would be epic if Danny orchestrated moves to land Durant, Horford and Cousins. Can this work under the cap, or would we need to move Crowder (beauty of Crowder as sixth man is he can slip into 2-4; Brown can also do 2 or 3 since Hunter is a weak link):

1: Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
2: Smart, Hunter
3: Durant, Crowder, Brown
4: Horford, Yabasule, Mickey, Bentil
5: Cousins, Vet Min, Zizic

Only injuries could stop us from hoisting the title!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:55:28 PM by meangreenmachine »

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 11:16:25 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

Yep.

Absolutely.  I would keep Bradley, Thomas and Crowder out of any trades, but everyone, and everything, else would be at least on the table for a guy like Cousins.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.