Author Topic: Dwight Howard agrees to 3-year, $70.5M deal with Atlanta Hawks  (Read 9365 times)

Re: Dwight Howard agrees to 3-year, $70.5M deal with Atlanta Hawks
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm puzzled as to why Howard chose Atlanta over the C's or any other team for that matter. my suspicion of him over the yrs. has been that he's not a star that can handle the pressure of being the star and the expectations that come with it.

I guess that is the conclusion i'm going with. there's no one on Atlanta anymore so there's no expectations.

Atlanta's m.o. for decades has been to overpay for an average star who has a big enough name to sell tickets but is not great enough to make them legitimate contenders. Dominique Wilkins, Joe Johnson, and now Dwight Howard continues that tradition.

« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2016, 01:43:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm puzzled as to why Howard chose Atlanta over the C's or any other team for that matter. my suspicion of him over the yrs. has been that he's not a star that can handle the pressure of being the star and the expectations that come with it.

I guess that is the conclusion i'm going with. there's no one on Atlanta anymore so there's no expectations.

He's from Atlanta, that probably has a lot more to do with it.

« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

^ this + they have a legit chance to make it all the way to the ECF; Houston was eliminated in the first round last season.
He's from Atlanta, that probably has a lot more to do with it.

« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2016, 02:06:18 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Howard is just like Lebron.. a man-child who just wants to go home

« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2016, 10:14:06 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Nothing to really wonder about. Good situation for him and he's from Atlanta.

other than it being his hometown, what makes it a "good situation for him"? from what I've heard most players would rather not play for their hometown.

but as an aging player this is a horrible basketball move.

« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2016, 10:19:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Lebron isn't a clown, though. He's capable of carrying a team to a title; Howard isn't close to that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2016, 10:20:50 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Lebron isn't a clown, though. He's capable of carrying a team to a title; Howard isn't close to that.

He was darn close in his prime, though.

« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2016, 10:31:36 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Howard can still play , IF his body can take the punishment.  His game is still mostly athletic physical type .  If he slows,too much ,  he won't be very helpful with all these new super fast strong types .

« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2016, 10:35:30 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

He was darn close in his prime, though.
Howard carried an awful Orlando team to the finals once. I think this was mostly an aberration, and he's slowed down considerably since then.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."