Author Topic: Dwight Howard agrees to 3-year, $70.5M deal with Atlanta Hawks  (Read 9364 times)

Re: Dwight joins the Hawks
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2016, 07:15:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
$23.5m per isn't bad at all.  That's disappointing.

It's beyond dissapointmenting

Now we have to try and throw something like $26m at a declining glorified role player in Al Horford...very depressing considering Howard could have been a real difference maker here.

Anmoys me because im pretty sure he would have come here if he was the top priority, but the morons who are the Boston Celtics management decided to make it publicly obvious that Al Horford is their priority...prob oushed Dwight away

Sorry to compound the issue, but $113M / 4 is $28.25M, not $26M. I was also on board with Dwight over Horford, but if somehow we do walk away with Durant, this will be the reason.

I like that Danny is trying to go all in. It likely won't work, but he sure is trying!

You have to account for annual increases. The max salary is $26.4m

Oh, I know that's the first year salary, but I was just pointing out that the average salary over the four years since that is the amount we will actually be paying. Thanks for the reminder, though.

Re: Dwight Howard agrees to 3-year, $70.5M deal with Atlanta Hawks
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2016, 07:15:25 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Wooo!

We gettin' Horford!

Phosita...is that you?

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2016, 07:17:11 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
[dang it], they must've made the LeBron : Cleveland :: Dwight : Atlanta analogy, and the big dummy must've bought into it. I bet they showed him video of Cleveland fans weeping with joy and praising their lord and savior, LeBron. "This could be Atlanta! That could be you!"
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2016, 07:20:15 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
That is an enormous amount for Howard.

I was thinking he'd get a Noah type deal around 18-20 million.
For his age, that is unreal.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2016, 07:20:41 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Now we have to try and throw something like $26m at a declining glorified role player in Al Horford...very depressing considering Howard could have been a real difference maker here.

Anmoys me because im pretty sure he would have come here if he was the top priority, but the morons who are the Boston Celtics management decided to make it publicly obvious that Al Horford is their priority...prob oushed Dwight away

Sorry to compound the issue, but $113M / 4 is $28.25M, not $26M. I was also on board with Dwight over Horford, but if somehow we do walk away with Durant, this will be the reason.

I like that Danny is trying to go all in. It likely won't work, but he sure is trying!

I agree Howard would have improved us, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a starter on a title winner with is FT shooting, so I can live with the decision to prioritize Horford.

Especially if the reports are true, and Horford really is on KD's go-get list.

This is the year to swing for the fences in FA, and Danny is doing just that.  Should we strike out, we still are a solid team and we'll get to see if this kid Brown can help us get to 50 wins.

The free throw shooting is a non-issue.  Yet another thing that people over-dramatise.

Shaq was historically famous for being a terrible free throw shooter - may I ask how many titles he has won as a starting center?

Utilise him properly and Dwight Howard is going to give you somewhere between 16/11 and 18/12 while also anchoring your defence and intimidating opponents away from even trying to get to the basket against you...and he's proven that he performs on the playoff stage.

Horford will give you 15 and 8 if you're lucky, and has proven he folds like an origami duck in the playoffs - but we'd choose him (for more money) because he can hit free throws?

Cmon man!

Dwight will be THE man in Atlanta, since they kinda have nobody else now.  With the extra touches he gets there his numbers are going to skyrocket...and if Boston and up with Horford (and don't get Durant along with him) they are going to look like the biggest bunch of morons this world has seen.

those are all fair points.  TP to you good sir, always appreciate your analysis. 

I guess if Horford leads to KD, then all is forgiven.  If not, everything you said is valid.

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2016, 07:27:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Guys, this is good news. He's essentially Boston-bound at this point.

Turner told some Boston guys a little bit ago that when he was talking to Danny recently, he was pretty confident about getting Horford. Also, Turner said he worked out with Korver a couple of days ago who said that Horfird was re-signing, but Korver called him today and told him something has changed with Horford.

I think that's why Turner ultimately went to Portland, because he knew now that Horford is probably coming here and we won't have room for him.

Welcome to Beantown, Al!

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/boston_celtics_rumors_evan_tur.html

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2016, 07:31:19 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
And here I am on record as saying he wouldn't get $20 million a year.

Boy oh boy, am I full of ****. :P
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2016, 07:32:01 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Turner told some Boston guys a little bit ago that when he was talking to Danny recently, he was pretty confident about getting Horford. Also, Turner said he worked out with Korver a couple of days ago who said that Horfird was re-signing, but Korver called him today and told him something has changed with Horford.

I think that's why Turner ultimately went to Portland, because he knew now that Horford is probably coming here and we won't have room for him.

Welcome to Beantown, Al!

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/boston_celtics_rumors_evan_tur.html

Man I hope you're right.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2016, 07:32:51 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
That is an enormous amount for Howard.

I was thinking he'd get a Noah type deal around 18-20 million.
For his age, that is unreal.

Are you out of your mind?

Dwight Howard is a three time defensive player of the year, one of the better rebounders in NBA history, and at his best he was the top big man (and a top 5 player) in the NBA for years.

Last year he averaged 15 points, 13 rebounds and 1.8 blocks while shooting 62% from the field despite being horribly underutilised.

Dwight may not be an all-out superstar anymore, but he is still the most efficient scorer in the entire NBA, one of the best rebounders in the NBA, and an excellent defensive player. 

Even in his absolute prime, Joakhim Noah was never more then a fringe All-Star, and he's now a very distant shadow of the man he was in his prime.  At this point it's highly debatable whether Noah is a legitimate upgrade over Amir Johnson.   

Evan Turner just got $18M a year.  Mike Conley just got over $30M a year.  Chandler Parsons is getting $23M a year.  Dwight Howard far better then any of those three guys - there was no way in hell he was getting less then $23m a year. 

Noah is about on par with Turner right now,

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2016, 07:33:45 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

I agree Howard would have improved us, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a starter on a title winner with is FT shooting, so I can live with the decision to prioritize Horford.

This is the year to swing for the fences in FA, and Danny is doing just that.  Should we strike out, we still are a solid team and we'll get to see if this kid Brown can help us get to 50 wins.

The free throw shooting is a non-issue.  Yet another thing that people over-dramatise.

Shaq was historically famous for being a terrible free throw shooter - may I ask how many titles he has won as a starting center?

Utilise him properly and Dwight Howard is going to give you somewhere between 16/11 and 18/12 while also anchoring your defence and intimidating opponents away from even trying to get to the basket against you...and he's proven that he performs on the playoff stage.

Horford will give you 15 and 8 if you're lucky, and has proven he folds like an origami duck in the playoffs - but we'd choose him (for more money) because he can hit free throws?

Cmon man!

Dwight will be THE man in Atlanta, since they kinda have nobody else now.  With the extra touches he gets there his numbers are going to skyrocket...and if Boston and up with Horford (and don't get Durant along with him) they are going to look like the biggest bunch of morons this world has seen.

Don't get me wrong, we are in desperate need for an upgrade in the front-court, and Horford would undoubtedly make us better...but at what cost?!?  Looking at Horford's production the last couple of seasons (and watching how he moves on the court) I can see a definite decline in his game, and I must admit I am scared to hell of the idea of locking him up to max dollars over four years.  I don't see him playing at his current fringe-all-star level for more than another two seasons at most.

I guess at the prices guys are getting right now, we don't have much choice...just frustrating knowing we probably could have had Dwight, and have most likely lost him because of a preference for Al Horford, which is likely based entirely on the long-shot of him bringing Durant with him,

If we get Horford but not Durant, perhaps we package Horford to Sacramento for Boogie come the trade deadline in 2018. It won't be the end of the world.

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2016, 07:34:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Not counting chickens yet

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2016, 07:35:11 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

Cmon man!

those are all fair points.  TP to you good sir, always appreciate your analysis. 

I guess if Horford leads to KD, then all is forgiven.  If not, everything you said is valid.
Except Crimson doesn't acknowledge all of the advantages that Horford provides over Howard.  FLOOR SPACING, ball movement, can defend the entire floor better.  Horford naturally makes everyone around him better Howard does not.

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2016, 07:35:55 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Cmon man!

Some good points indeed. But it still strikes me that more than stats is the ability to play pace and space basketball, as loved by CBS. Horford can do it. Howard can't.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2016, 07:38:29 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Kind of glad we didn't get him.  I like D Howard and would have made for good and bad stories lol, but I don't want hack a howard.

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2016, 07:39:11 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Welcome to Beantown, Al!

It's entirely possible that the Hawks saw the opportunity to upgrade by picking up Dwight, and as such have decided to pass on Horford.

Makes sense to be honest - a Dwight/Millsap frontcourt makes a lot more sense then Millsap/Horford.  Millsap and Horford for the most part offer similar things - both are stretch fours who are good passers, ok-but-not-great rebounders, and effort guys.  Neither is really a go-to scorer, and neither is really much of a rim protector.

Millsap's ability as an athletic stretch four is actually a dead on perfect fit with Dwight's ability to dominate the paint.  It's pretty much a match made in heaven.  I wouldn't blame the Hawks at all for making Dwight the priority over Horford. 

They still need to add more talent at the guard spots (with Teague gone), but a starting core of Korver/Millsap/Howard is a very nice start.  You can add pretty much vaguely starting caliber guards to that roster and you'll have a solid playoff team.