Author Topic: Dwight Howard agrees to 3-year, $70.5M deal with Atlanta Hawks  (Read 9419 times)

Re: Dwight joins the Hawks
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2016, 07:05:25 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
$23.5m per isn't bad at all.  That's disappointing.

It's beyond dissapointmenting

Now we have to try and throw something like $26m at a declining glorified role player in Al Horford...very depressing considering Howard could have been a real difference maker here.

Anmoys me because im pretty sure he would have come here if he was the top priority, but the morons who are the Boston Celtics management decided to make it publicly obvious that Al Horford is their priority...prob oushed Dwight away

Yeah, being from Atlanta made no impact on his decision whatsoever  ::)

Rak

Dwight had always been from Atlanta.  That's never convinced him to go there in the past.

Atlanta hander lost Teague.  They probably lose Bazemore.   If they lose Horford as well, then they're useles...not even a clear playoff team. 

Dwight would have far now success here, but it's clear from Dwight's history that's he's the type of guy who is very emotional and will want to feel wanted.   If i were him and knew the Celtics had me as a #2 behind Al freakin Horford then I'd go elsewhere too.  Its an insult - Dwight is far better then Horford.  Hes on a whole other level.

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2016, 07:05:28 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Now we have to try and throw something like $26m at a declining glorified role player in Al Horford...very depressing considering Howard could have been a real difference maker here.

Anmoys me because im pretty sure he would have come here if he was the top priority, but the morons who are the Boston Celtics management decided to make it publicly obvious that Al Horford is their priority...prob oushed Dwight away

Sorry to compound the issue, but $113M / 4 is $28.25M, not $26M. I was also on board with Dwight over Horford, but if somehow we do walk away with Durant, this will be the reason.

I like that Danny is trying to go all in. It likely won't work, but he sure is trying!

You have to account for annual increases. The max salary is $26.4m

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2016, 07:05:57 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Sorry to compound the issue, but $113M / 4 is $28.25M, not $26M. I was also on board with Dwight over Horford, but if somehow we do walk away with Durant, this will be the reason.

I like that Danny is trying to go all in. It likely won't work, but he sure is trying!

I agree Howard would have improved us, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a starter on a title winner with is FT shooting, so I can live with the decision to prioritize Horford.

Especially if the reports are true, and Horford really is on KD's go-get list.

This is the year to swing for the fences in FA, and Danny is doing just that.  Should we strike out, we still are a solid team and we'll get to see if this kid Brown can help us get to 50 wins. 

Re: Dwight Howard agrees to 3-year, $70.5M deal with Atlanta Hawks
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2016, 07:07:18 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Lol I don't want horford now

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2016, 07:07:41 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Wooo!

We gettin' Horford!

Horray, $26m for an older and better conditioned version of Sully.

Sense the excitement in my voice.

If we get Horford then it had sure as hell better bring Durant with it, otherwise epic freaking fail.

At this point, we must pray to the old gods and the new that getting Horford will sway Durant.

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2016, 07:07:46 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
You guys realise Millsap played quite a bit of the 3 in his late Utah years right?

This deal may well be the first piece for the Hawks to convince Horford to come back.

Your argument is basically that when Millsap was younger (and more mobile and athletic), he was capable of playing a position that requires more mobility and athleticism.

They're letting one of Bazemore or Horford walk and my money is on Horford, unless they're looking to trade Millsap.

I already read a report about how impressive a greeting Bazemire got from another team (i think Houston) and how impressed he and his agent were by it.

I wouldn't bank on him returning.

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2016, 07:09:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Wow, that was a lower $ amount than I was expecting.  They must've really hooked Dwight with a "come home" angle. 

I think there's no chance they keep Horford after this, or at least, keeping Horford would be a pretty big mistake.  A Howard/Horford/Millsap front line would probably work only slightly better than Drummond/Monroe/J Smith did a couple years back.

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2016, 07:10:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Oh, you know what?  I totally forgot Houston has max space too, and now will be looking for a floor spacing big.  They have a big hole at the four.  And they have an MVP candidate on the roster.

Houston's gonna be in on AH.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2016, 07:11:33 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Wooo!

We gettin' Horford!

For better or worse, right?

On the bright side, Durant will join the Cs when Chicago accepts our offer of Bradley, Smart, KO and future BKN pick for Butler...won't they?

I don't know, but I am curious to see if Ainge maybe has a deal lined up to add another bigger name after Horford signs.

I think you gotta roll into that Durant meeting with Horford, Thomas, and Stevens, bare minimum.  If you roll in there with Jimmy Butler, as well.  Man.  You might just convince him.

Bradley, Brown and the two Brooklyn picks might convince Chicago.

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2016, 07:11:57 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Oh, you know what?  I totally forgot Houston has max space too, and now will be looking for a floor spacing big.  They have a big hole at the four.  And they have an MVP candidate on the roster.

Ugh all these theories. Will he stay? Will he go to Boston? Will he join the Rockets? Or the Thunder? Ugh now I'm super nervous.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2016, 07:12:16 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

They also are coming off a horrible season and are in the western conference.

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2016, 07:13:08 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Whoa. Color me shocked. I was wrong! Not the max, after all. Unbelievable that it's going to look like a bargain in the overall context of this summer.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Did Portland sign a center yet? I think they would be in the mix if not.

I could see GSW moving onto Horford once their Durant pursuit fails. They want more offense from their center position. Horford would be a good fit for their style of play.

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2016, 07:14:46 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Did Portland sign a center yet? I think they would be in the mix if not.

I could see GSW moving onto Horford once their Durant pursuit fails. They want more offense from their center position. Horford would be a good fit for their style of play.

I don't think Portland has enough space anymore, but I could be wrong.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2016, 07:15:09 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

I agree Howard would have improved us, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a starter on a title winner with is FT shooting, so I can live with the decision to prioritize Horford.

Especially if the reports are true, and Horford really is on KD's go-get list.

This is the year to swing for the fences in FA, and Danny is doing just that.  Should we strike out, we still are a solid team and we'll get to see if this kid Brown can help us get to 50 wins.

The free throw shooting is a non-issue.  Yet another thing that people over-dramatise.

Shaq was historically famous for being a terrible free throw shooter - may I ask how many titles he has won as a starting center?

Utilise him properly and Dwight Howard is going to give you somewhere between 16/11 and 18/12 while also anchoring your defence and intimidating opponents away from even trying to get to the basket against you...and he's proven that he performs on the playoff stage.

Horford will give you 15 and 8 if you're lucky, and has proven he folds like an origami duck in the playoffs - but we'd choose him (for more money) because he can hit free throws?

Cmon man!

Dwight will be THE man in Atlanta, since they kinda have nobody else now.  With the extra touches he gets there his numbers are going to skyrocket...and if Boston and up with Horford (and don't get Durant along with him) they are going to look like the biggest bunch of morons this world has seen.

Don't get me wrong, we are in desperate need for an upgrade in the front-court, and Horford would undoubtedly make us better...but at what cost?!?  Looking at Horford's production the last couple of seasons (and watching how he moves on the court) I can see a definite decline in his game, and I must admit I am scared to hell of the idea of locking him up to max dollars over four years.  I don't see him playing at his current fringe-all-star level for more than another two seasons at most.

I guess at the prices guys are getting right now, we don't have much choice...just frustrating knowing we probably could have had Dwight, and have most likely lost him because of a preference for Al Horford, which is likely based entirely on the long-shot of him bringing Durant with him, 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:22:15 PM by crimson_stallion »