Author Topic: Dwight Howard agrees to 3-year, $70.5M deal with Atlanta Hawks  (Read 9363 times)

Re: Dwight joins the Hawks
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 06:54:25 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
My only concern is, can't the Hawks sign Horford still? And horford wants to play PF. He could do that in Atlanta.

Then what do they do with Millsap?

Not sure about the new rules with regard to signing other players first and then going over the cap to sign your own.  Used to be able to, but someone who knows please enlighten.  I do believe they would be around 75M with the DH signing.

Millsap's under contract. I was asking where they play him.

Hawks fans are saying they'll put millsap at 3, horford at 4 and Howard at 5

I'm not sure I buy Millsap at the 3. Personally, I think Horford is 100% gone now, but we'll see.

I'm scared a little. Hawks fans on Reddit and twitter (who know more about the team and their cap than us) are pretty confidently saying he could very well stay.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Re: Dwight Howard agrees to 3-year, $70.5M deal with Atlanta Hawks
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 06:55:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Wooo!

We gettin' Horford!

For better or worse, right?

On the bright side, Durant will join the Cs when Chicago accepts our offer of Bradley, Smart, KO and future BKN pick for Butler...won't they?

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 06:55:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Would have loved Dwight here on that contract.

A bargain compared to the other crazy contracts being given out.

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 06:56:58 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
My only concern is, can't the Hawks sign Horford still? And horford wants to play PF. He could do that in Atlanta.

Then what do they do with Millsap?

Not sure about the new rules with regard to signing other players first and then going over the cap to sign your own.  Used to be able to, but someone who knows please enlighten.  I do believe they would be around 75M with the DH signing.

Millsap's under contract. I was asking where they play him.

Hawks fans are saying they'll put millsap at 3, horford at 4 and Howard at 5

I'm not sure I buy Millsap at the 3. Personally, I think Horford is 100% gone now, but we'll see.

I'm scared a little. Hawks fans on Reddit and twitter (who know more about the team and their cap than us) are pretty confidently saying he could very well stay.

They may know more, but they're also wearing rose colored glasses.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 06:57:45 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Would have loved Dwight here on that contract.

A bargain compared to the other crazy contracts being given out.
I probably would have liked it more than Horford at 4 years
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 06:58:26 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
$23.5m per isn't bad at all.  That's disappointing.

Lower than I expected. Home town discount?

I don't know.  Are they expecting Horford to take a discount too?  Because I don't see how they can afford him.  They have lost Teague, Horford, and maybe Bazemore and added Howard.  I don't see why Howard wanted to go there unless he wanted to return home.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 06:58:40 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think this helps the C's chances at getting Horford.

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2016, 06:58:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hawks fans are delusional.  Signing Dwight means they wouldn't budge on a fifth year for Alfred. 

Horford's going elsewhere.

Who still has max cap space and an open center slot?

Boston.  Dallas.  Chicago?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 06:59:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It's beyond dissapointmenting

Now we have to try and throw something like $26m at a declining glorified role player in Al Horford...very depressing considering Howard could have been a real difference maker here.

Anmoys me because im pretty sure he would have come here if he was the top priority, but the morons who are the Boston Celtics management decided to make it publicly obvious that Al Horford is their priority...prob oushed Dwight away

Sorry to compound the issue, but $113M / 4 is $28.25M, not $26M. I was also on board with Dwight over Horford, but if somehow we do walk away with Durant, this will be the reason.

I like that Danny is trying to go all in. It likely won't work, but he sure is trying!

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 06:59:09 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78

It's beyond dissapointmenting

Now we have to try and throw something like $26m at a declining glorified role player in Al Horford...very depressing considering Howard could have been a real difference maker here.

Anmoys me because im pretty sure he would have come here if he was the top priority, but the morons who are the Boston Celtics management decided to make it publicly obvious that Al Horford is their priority...prob oushed Dwight away

Yeah, being from Atlanta made no impact on his decision whatsoever  ::)

Rak

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 06:59:31 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
You guys realise Millsap played quite a bit of the 3 in his late Utah years right?

This deal may well be the first piece for the Hawks to convince Horford to come back.

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2016, 07:00:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Wooo!

We gettin' Horford!

For better or worse, right?

On the bright side, Durant will join the Cs when Chicago accepts our offer of Bradley, Smart, KO and future BKN pick for Butler...won't they?

I don't know, but I am curious to see if Ainge maybe has a deal lined up to add another bigger name after Horford signs.

I think you gotta roll into that Durant meeting with Horford, Thomas, and Stevens, bare minimum.  If you roll in there with Jimmy Butler, as well.  Man.  You might just convince him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 07:02:45 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I am worried that Howard did not get the max from the Hawks in order for the Hawks to be able to still sign Horford. If we miss out on Horford, than it is onto next years free agency stars. I hope I am wrong and the Hawks are not trying to orchestrate a monstrous front court.

The fact that everyone is flying down to meet with Horford though is encouraging although the Howard signing probably occurred after we flew down to see him.

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2016, 07:04:19 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
You guys realise Millsap played quite a bit of the 3 in his late Utah years right?

This deal may well be the first piece for the Hawks to convince Horford to come back.

Your argument is basically that when Millsap was younger (and more mobile and athletic), he was capable of playing a position that requires more mobility and athleticism.

They're letting one of Bazemore or Horford walk and my money is on Horford, unless they're looking to trade Millsap.

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2016, 07:04:28 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

[dang it].
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about