Author Topic: Can we pitch Durant with Horford + pending blockbuster trade like Scal suggests?  (Read 3427 times)

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
If we land Horford tonight, which is already a longshot considering he is going to take more meetings...

But if we do so, could we pitch Durant tomorrow to come to Boston to join IT, Horford and tell him we have a pending trade to acquire for example a Jimmy Butler. Is this realistic and can we make the salaries work?

Something like BKN 17/18 + BOS 18 + MEM 19 + either Bradley, Smart or Crowder + Amir to make the salaries work FOR Jimmy Butler.

e.g:
IT
Butler
Durant
Crowder
Horford

One more question, can we trade the BKN or BOS '17 pick? I guess so? 

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
We need to let Amir go to afford two max contracts, so I don't see how we could pull that off.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
We need to let Amir go to afford two max contracts, so I don't see how we could pull that off.
Wait. Because you just can't see the possibility of letting Amir go? In order to get a super team?

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Wait. Because you just can't see the possibility of letting Amir go? In order to get a super team?
He's saying if we signed Horford + Durant, we would no longer have Amir to trade.

The general premise is fine, though.   We should sign Horford tonight and bring him with us to the meeting.  Then, at that meeting, we can lay out the trade options that Boston more than likely has.  I'm sure someone is willing to take an overpay from Boston.  Makes no sense to do that unless Durant is willing to sign here, though.   

Here's the thing about the "overpay", though.  Once you sign Durant + Horford, you'll have to renounce the rights to Amir, Jerebko, SUlly and Zeller just to sign them.   Then, if you want to trade for a guy like Butler (17 mil), you're going to have to send back roughly 17 million in salary just to grab that guy.  So you can basically guarantee that Bradley would be involved in a trade since he makes over 8 million.   YOu'd also have to include another 8 mil or so even after adding Bradley.  So we're talking about a significant package of talent + picks to get a guy just for it to work financially.  You can see why Boston would rather get confirmation from Durant before they gut the roster for another star - especially considering the team might be better off just keeping Bradley + Crowder + the picks.  That's something I fully expect Brad Stevens to address with Durant.   Explain to him how Durant could fit with this current roster and why an overpay for a "star" might be a backwards move.

Sure, Durant can go to a team loaded with offensive firepower and ride their bandwagon to a championship he'll get partial credit for.  But let's not forget that there's only one basketball.  Too much star power isn't always a great thing.   Yeah, the Cavs won a title this year, but Kevin Love wasn't a great fit despite being an outstanding offensive player.  What the Cavs needed around LeBron were guys who complimented him well.   Boston's roster as-is complements Durant's skills extremely well.  We have defensive superstars on this team.  That matters.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Crowder and AB (along with a BKN pick) would have to go to match salaries since KD and Horford would bring us right up to the limit. This would be a humongous blow, as these two guys are such good value / system guys and on amazing contracts...but, whatever it takes to get Durant. That has always been motto.

KD, Horford, Butler, and IT as a top four is pretty ridiculous.

EDIT: TP, LarBrd - you beat me to it (with considerably more explanation).

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I don't follow.  Without letting Amir go, we can't fit both Durant and Horford into our cap space. 

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
We can pitch him with Jae in addition to Isaiah.

According to a league source, Jae Crowder is expected to be part of the Celtics' delegation at Kevin Durant meeting.
-Himmelsbach
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No to Butler.

Go for Milsap!
Crowder, AJ, Rozier, Young, Grizzlies 1st, and Clippers 1st for Milsap.

IT, AB, KD, Milsap, Hordford=4 all stars 1 all NBA defender!
Bench=Smart, Hunter, Brown, Mickey, KO

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

According to a league source, Jae Crowder is expected to be part of the Celtics' delegation at Kevin Durant meeting.
-Himmelsbach
But not Bradley, eh?  Cuz Bradley will be needed if we trade for another impact trade.  Salary needs to be sent out.

To get to Butler's 17 mil you'll have to send out roughly equal salary

So Bradley gets you half of the way there.  Where's the other 7-9 mil coming from?  Oly makes 3.  Smart makes 3.5.  Rozier makes 1.7.  Young makes 1.8.  We'd need to come up with a combo of contracts if we're keeping Thomas and Crowder.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

-Himmelsbach

I wonder what this means for AB? He is friends with KD, could he be part of a Butler deal ?

Ab,KO , Brown,Rozier, Young and picks for Butler?

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I think Horford and Durant is enough to get this roster to the championship. Giving up two or three good players, plus one or two picks, for Butler is not going to be a step forward. You need depth to win a championship.

Totally different story if we're talking about Boogie, though. Boogie, Horford, Durant, Crowder and Thomas combined with a bunch of youth and vet mins might be better than what we have.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

-Himmelsbach

I wonder what this means for AB? He is friends with KD, could he be part of a Butler deal ?

I also find it VERY intriguing that Bradley would not go with them. I do think that's by design, too.

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Kawhi Leonard wasn't apart of the Durant pitch either. Doesn't mean SA is trading him, maybe a prior engagement making Bradley unavailable to go. I'm sure he's been in contact with KD given their friendship.

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

-Himmelsbach

I also find it VERY intriguing that Bradley would not go with them. I do think that's by design, too.

To be fair, we only know that Jae and IT are going. Not that Avery is not going.

Great words from a great man

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

-Himmelsbach
But not Bradley, eh?  Cuz Bradley will be needed if we trade for another impact trade.  Salary needs to be sent out.

To get to Butler's 17 mil you'll have to send out roughly equal salary

So Bradley gets you half of the way there.  Where's the other 7-9 mil coming from?  Oly makes 3.  Smart makes 3.5.  Rozier makes 1.7.  Young makes 1.8.  We'd need to come up with a combo of contracts if we're keeping Thomas and Crowder.

We can take in salary equal to 125% of what we send out, so we only need ~$13 million going out.  AB+Young+Hunter/Rozier should be enough
I'm bitter.