Author Topic: Celtics to offer 4 years 113 million to Horford  (Read 32241 times)

Re: Celtics to offer 4 years 113 million to Horford
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2016, 05:29:56 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
I have a feeling we are being used for leverage to get Atlanta to offer a fifth year.
I doubt Horford wants to go back to Atlanta anyway. Didn't they just trade away one of their most productive players?

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2016, 05:33:20 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I've always liked Horford as a player and am thrilled we finally got him.  price is steep but I do think this is the starting point for getting another prime free agent (primarily KD) either this offseason or next.

definitely improves our front court.

Love this move!!! Way to go Danny!!!

Why are people talking about this like it already happened? Has an agreement happened/been confirmed?
Yeah, this kind of talk scares me. I hope Danny makes that offer, I hope Horford accepts it, but neither of those things have happened yet. Let's not jinx things, okay.

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2016, 05:34:03 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Horford is needed to show KD we mean business. In fact if Horford has agreed then I reckon KD wont be far behind. :)

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2016, 05:42:26 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
The Boston Celtics are traveling to Atlanta to meet with Al Horford tonight, per sources. Isaiah Thomas and others will be there to pitch.

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/748993372224884736

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
At this point it is clear Danny is going all in for Horford and Durant, this is exciting.

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2016, 05:50:08 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
The concept that people don't like Horford, or think he isn't a max player, is frankly absurd.  Pick your advanced stat, and Horford is top-100 all-time.  Furthermore, his 2015-2016 numbers were all pretty much at or above his career averages.  He played 76 games two years ago, and every game last year. 

PER:  Career 19.1, 91st all-time
BPM: Career 3.0, 66th all-time
Win Shares/48 min: Career .157, 70th all-time
Offensive rating: Career 113.9, 69th all-time
Defensive BPM: Career 2.2 , 53rd all-time
eFG%: Career .543, 35th all-time
TS%: Career .570, 70th all-time
Block rate: Career 2.8, 78th all-time

His rebounds have declined the past three years.  That is undeniable.  Part of it is probably age, but part of it also is probably scheme, as that decline occurred both suddenly, and also with the arrival of a coach who de-emphasizes rebounds (Hawks were last in rebounding last year I think), as well as another plus rebounder in Millsap. But even with the decline is rebounds, which might be overstated, Horford is playing at an All-Star level, and is someone who has had a borderline Hall of Fame career to date.  At the same, he's got the reputation of being a great teammate and person.

With or without Durant, Horford is someone actually deserving of the max salary, and the Celtics would be lucky to get him.  Atlanta is being foolish letting him consider his alternatives.

TP. It's amazing how irrationally picky fans of a team with such a lack of pure talent can be.

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
The Boston Celtics are traveling to Atlanta to meet with Al Horford tonight, per sources. Isaiah Thomas and others will be there to pitch.

So Isaiah is going to meet with KD too then
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
In the Globe:

Turner said Ainge did not give a sense of where the Celtics stood in the Durant sweepstakes, but he said that Ainge “seemed confident with Horford.” Multiple reports said the Celtics were scheduled to meet with Horford Friday.
Turner said he worked out with Kyle Korver — Horford’s Atlanta teammate — in Santa Barbara, Calif., on Thursday. Korver told Turner that Horford was ultimately going to re-sign with the Hawks. But then on Friday, Turner said, Horford sent Korver a text message asking him to call him, and Turner had a sense that something might have shifted

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/07/01/evan-turner-leaves-celtics-for-trail-blazers/J4GTZkFeeu3uiqQzoJ714M/story.html
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2016, 06:03:34 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
The concept that people don't like Horford, or think he isn't a max player, is frankly absurd.  Pick your advanced stat, and Horford is top-100 all-time.  Furthermore, his 2015-2016 numbers were all pretty much at or above his career averages.  He played 76 games two years ago, and every game last year. 

PER:  Career 19.1, 91st all-time
BPM: Career 3.0, 66th all-time
Win Shares/48 min: Career .157, 70th all-time
Offensive rating: Career 113.9, 69th all-time
Defensive BPM: Career 2.2 , 53rd all-time
eFG%: Career .543, 35th all-time
TS%: Career .570, 70th all-time
Block rate: Career 2.8, 78th all-time

His rebounds have declined the past three years.  That is undeniable.  Part of it is probably age, but part of it also is probably scheme, as that decline occurred both suddenly, and also with the arrival of a coach who de-emphasizes rebounds (Hawks were last in rebounding last year I think), as well as another plus rebounder in Millsap. But even with the decline is rebounds, which might be overstated, Horford is playing at an All-Star level, and is someone who has had a borderline Hall of Fame career to date.  At the same, he's got the reputation of being a great teammate and person.

With or without Durant, Horford is someone actually deserving of the max salary, and the Celtics would be lucky to get him.  Atlanta is being foolish letting him consider his alternatives.

TP. It's amazing how irrationally picky fans of a team with such a lack of pure talent can be.
Good for you jp. The first step to recovery  is admitting you have a problem. The next step is probably to work on the I rrationality. Then move on to changing being picky as a way to dismiss insightful stats that go against your assumptions.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2016, 06:13:29 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
In the Globe:

Turner said Ainge did not give a sense of where the Celtics stood in the Durant sweepstakes, but he said that Ainge “seemed confident with Horford.” Multiple reports said the Celtics were scheduled to meet with Horford Friday.
Turner said he worked out with Kyle Korver — Horford’s Atlanta teammate — in Santa Barbara, Calif., on Thursday. Korver told Turner that Horford was ultimately going to re-sign with the Hawks. But then on Friday, Turner said, Horford sent Korver a text message asking him to call him, and Turner had a sense that something might have shifted

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/07/01/evan-turner-leaves-celtics-for-trail-blazers/J4GTZkFeeu3uiqQzoJ714M/story.html

I don't know how I feel about this. Danny's confident, and that's good. But Korver is his teammate. He probably knows the most.

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2016, 06:19:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It'll come down to whether the Hawks offer a fifth year.  Horford's not getting 25+ million on the open market in four years unless he ages like a freak.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2016, 06:19:55 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
He's not a max player...

True, but the plan is to use Horford to lure KD.

If it works, great. We've got Batman and Robin. If it does not work, we've got Robin trying to be Batman. It might not be pretty.

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2016, 06:21:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He's not a max player...

If it works, great. We've got Batman and Robin. If it does not work, we've got Robin trying to be Batman. It might not be pretty.

I have a hard time picturing Horford putting up empty numbers trying to be a me-first iso superstar-type guy.  He's a team player, that's one of his best qualities.  He'll fit in with or without a clear #1 guy.  It's the health and rebounding that are the bigger concerns to me.

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford

Howard is also holed up in Atlanta. Any word on whether we are meeting with him, too?

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2016, 06:24:58 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
He's not a max player...

I have a hard time picturing Horford putting up empty numbers trying to be a me-first iso superstar-type guy.  He's a team player, that's one of his best qualities.  He'll fit in with or without a clear #1 guy.  It's the health and rebounding that are the bigger concerns to me.

I agree, but when we spend this kind of money, people will expect him to be Batman unless we pair him with Durant. I love the Durant and Horford combo, and think it makes us instant contenders. But if Durant is out, I definitely want Howard over Horford.