Author Topic: Celtics to offer 4 years 113 million to Horford  (Read 32328 times)

Re: Celtics to offer 4 years 113 million to Horford
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2016, 04:35:24 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
He's not a max player...

True, but the plan is to use Horford to lure KD.

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I started another thread about this, but Al Horford is truly terrible rebounder.  His defensive rebounding rate is 144th among all NBA players:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/defReboundRate/page/3/qualified/false

Who can play alongside him to compensate?  Certainly not Sullinger or Amir.  We'd be slow as molasses.

His name rhymes with Tight Flowered.

Dude, that's bananas.  We can't play 2 centers at the same time.  We'll never stop a pick and roll, and Lebron would score 60+ on us every game.
So for a team that was 4th last year in defensive efficiency with Jared Sullinger and Amir Johnson as their starting bigs, you think replacing them with Horford and Howard would result in a defensive decline and us not being able to stop a pick and roll?? Ok... ::)
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2016, 04:42:34 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
He's not a max player...

He is in today's NBA.  Take a look at the contracts being signed....

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2016, 04:44:24 PM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I think Horford is ours, especially with the recent news coming from ESPN regarding Howard's meeting with Atlanta this afternoon.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16680328/dwight-howard-impressed-meeting-atlanta-hawks

Taking into the account the kind of contracts that are being offered today you can't really argue that Horford is not a Max player in today's NBA.
If I had to choose Horford or Howard give me Horford. Howard might have more natural talent but I will take a no nonsense guy with comparable talent any day of the week.

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2016, 04:44:26 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
What time is the meeting?

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2016, 04:48:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The concept that people don't like Horford, or think he isn't a max player, is frankly absurd.  Pick your advanced stat, and Horford is top-100 all-time.  Furthermore, his 2015-2016 numbers were all pretty much at or above his career averages.  He played 76 games two years ago, and every game last year. 

PER:  Career 19.1, 91st all-time
BPM: Career 3.0, 66th all-time
Win Shares/48 min: Career .157, 70th all-time
Offensive rating: Career 113.9, 69th all-time
Defensive BPM: Career 2.2 , 53rd all-time
eFG%: Career .543, 35th all-time
TS%: Career .570, 70th all-time
Block rate: Career 2.8, 78th all-time

His rebounds have declined the past three years.  That is undeniable.  Part of it is probably age, but part of it also is probably scheme, as that decline occurred both suddenly, and also with the arrival of a coach who de-emphasizes rebounds (Hawks were last in rebounding last year I think), as well as another plus rebounder in Millsap. But even with the decline is rebounds, which might be overstated, Horford is playing at an All-Star level, and is someone who has had a borderline Hall of Fame career to date.  At the same, he's got the reputation of being a great teammate and person.

With or without Durant, Horford is someone actually deserving of the max salary, and the Celtics would be lucky to get him.  Atlanta is being foolish letting him consider his alternatives.

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2016, 04:59:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He'd be a big upgrade over Sully.

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2016, 05:10:02 PM »

Offline RedClaw33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Awesome a team full of role players and two middle aged over played players that might play in as many games As well probably win.  This is great planning  ::)

This is how I felt when we traded for Ray Allen and his bad ankles....I was wrong on that one.  I am all for signing Horford.  He fits several team needs and has the right mentality to helps us develop and get to the next level.
2016 Draft Board #3 Pick

Bender>Brown>Dunn>Murray>Hield

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2016, 05:10:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I've always liked Horford as a player and am thrilled we finally got him.  price is steep but I do think this is the starting point for getting another prime free agent (primarily KD) either this offseason or next.

definitely improves our front court.

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2016, 05:12:45 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Sign Ray Allen, get Garnett.
Sign Horford, get KD.

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2016, 05:16:38 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
A little scary looking ahead to year 4, but for this year and next, with the ability to still sign 2 more big contracts  (based on expected cap rise next season), i think it's a risk worth taking.  Would rather Al at 28M than Batum (same), Noah  (18M), Mozgov (16).  Watch Byombo - he'll get 20. 

If Al can hold up for 4 years it will be worth it. I believe C's absolutely will be Eastern Conference contenders within the next 2 years if we sign him.

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2016, 05:20:35 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Love this move!!! Way to go Danny!!!

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2016, 05:21:26 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
The concept that people don't like Horford, or think he isn't a max player, is frankly absurd.  Pick your advanced stat, and Horford is top-100 all-time.  Furthermore, his 2015-2016 numbers were all pretty much at or above his career averages.  He played 76 games two years ago, and every game last year. 

PER:  Career 19.1, 91st all-time
BPM: Career 3.0, 66th all-time
Win Shares/48 min: Career .157, 70th all-time
Offensive rating: Career 113.9, 69th all-time
Defensive BPM: Career 2.2 , 53rd all-time
eFG%: Career .543, 35th all-time
TS%: Career .570, 70th all-time
Block rate: Career 2.8, 78th all-time

His rebounds have declined the past three years.  That is undeniable.  Part of it is probably age, but part of it also is probably scheme, as that decline occurred both suddenly, and also with the arrival of a coach who de-emphasizes rebounds (Hawks were last in rebounding last year I think), as well as another plus rebounder in Millsap. But even with the decline is rebounds, which might be overstated, Horford is playing at an All-Star level, and is someone who has had a borderline Hall of Fame career to date.  At the same, he's got the reputation of being a great teammate and person.

With or without Durant, Horford is someone actually deserving of the max salary, and the Celtics would be lucky to get him.  Atlanta is being foolish letting him consider his alternatives.
The truth is that it has nothing to do with age and everything to do with his usage on the floor.  It is the same for Ibaka and Olynyk and all perimeter oriented bigs.  People don't want to listen but rebounding could not be a more overrated statistic when it comes to evaluating stretch bigs. 

The game is changing and rebounding is quickly becoming much more of a team concept and not just relying on your bigs.  Bigs are defending a much higher volume of shot attempts on the perimeter and are being used to get back on defense to shut down transition rather than rebound on both ends.  Their statistical declines in rebounds on both ends of the floor all mirror each other and is all due to their purposeful usage on the floor and not do to a decline in any way. 

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2016, 05:26:30 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I've always liked Horford as a player and am thrilled we finally got him.  price is steep but I do think this is the starting point for getting another prime free agent (primarily KD) either this offseason or next.

Love this move!!! Way to go Danny!!!

Why are people talking about this like it already happened? Has an agreement happened/been confirmed?

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2016, 05:27:38 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Why are people talking about this like it already happened? Has the agreement been confirmed?

We know Danny will offer it (per the Herald). We don't know whether horford will accept it.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about