Author Topic: Celtics to offer 4 years 113 million to Horford  (Read 32331 times)

Re: Celtics to offer 4 years 113 million to Horford
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 04:17:56 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
It's not my favorite thing in the world. Horford is basically hitting the lottery when there are other people who probably deserve that money more but I guess it's ok.  It's also not the best thing from a basketball standpoint either imo.  He's a better player than Sully but Sully is still young.  I also question how much.

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 04:17:59 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
"IF" we can get Al I'd be really happy and pleased.

I don't believe that the Al Horford we saw in the ATL series was the "real" Al.

Even if we don't get KD BUT sign Al, we're a better team.
much better.

He similar rebounding and blocked shots rates to Amir Johnson and is undeniably a superior offensive and defensive player.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 04:19:36 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I see it as a good investment that way over Amir.  Vs Sully I think.  He's an upgrade over Amir.  Amir is overpaid.  Might as well overpay Horford than Amir.

Amir is now an overpaid backup.  He's a bargain compared to Mozgov or Noah though.

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 04:20:44 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
"IF" we can get Al I'd be really happy and pleased.

I don't believe that the Al Horford we saw in the ATL series was the "real" Al.

Even if we don't get KD BUT sign Al, we're a better team.
much better.

He similar rebounding and blocked shots rates to Amir Johnson and is undeniably a superior offensive and defensive player.

Agreed. Horford would be a significant upgrade to the product on the floor.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I see it as a good investment that way over Amir.  Vs Sully I think.

I just had a thought, originally I am on the boat of - no KD, no max contract for Horford, but now that I see the details - 4 years....assuming no tier1 superstars are really available in the course of those years, we have Horford until he is 34, which isn't entirely too bad, smart player, good leadership, can spread the floor, upgrade over Sullinger and possibly Amir but most important of all, he'll be around when our crew starts hitting their prime if not already in their prime

IT
Bradley
Smart
Crowder
Brown

those 5 players will be much different players in 5 years and hopefully they have kept improving at that point. With most team going small nowadays, I see that as a plus for us long term.

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 04:22:46 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
MetroGlobe, no player is perfect. Horford has become a weaker rebounder as he has aged.

But he brings a lot to the table across the board.

I'm not saying he's trash, or that we shouldn't get him.  I'm just asking who will play with him?  How will we address that weakness?

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 04:23:13 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
How is it there are no rumors about Sully or Z? Since we gave them the QO does that mean teams can't offer until they decline them?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2016, 04:23:20 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
We can even keep Amir as a backup depending on what we do and have cap space again when his contract expires next year or use that money elsewhere this year.

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 04:24:36 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
How is it there are no rumors about Sully or Z? Since we gave them the QO does that mean teams can't offer until they decline them?

No not at all.  They are free to seek offers and are probably doing so right now.  We will hear about them when they happen though, because we have the right to match anything they get.

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 04:26:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If we sign Horford and Durant doesnt come, we can keep Amir and Jerebko while running out a similar team as last year but with Horford replacing Sully and Brown replacing Turner.

That keeps us in the playoff hunt, maybe winning 50 games, which is important. We dont want to take a step back and make the Nets pick next year better. I dont want to see the Nets get a decent pick that could improve them and hurt our 2018 pick.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 04:31:53 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 04:27:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
We can even keep Amir as a backup depending on what we do and have cap space again when his contract expires next year or use that money elsewhere this year.
Baring us singing two max players and needing room desperately I can't see us declining Amir.

In this market a 12 million dollar 1 year PF/C who can walk and chew gum on the court is a good deal.

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2016, 04:29:18 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Horford is a quality player and person.  There are worse things that have happened in this world. Good for him but still absurd.  I don't think he's  a bad guy or player.  Hopefully somewhere deep down he realizes he is getting paid an absurd amount of money though.

It also improves our talent level so I'm good with it.

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 04:30:35 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
If we sign Horford and Durant doesnt come, we can keep Amir and Jerebko while running out a similar team as last year but with Horford replacing Sully and Brown replacing Turner.

That keeps us in the playoff hunt, maybe winning 50 games, which is important. We dont want to take a step back and make the Nets pick next year better. I dont want to see the Nets get a de ent pick that could improve them and hurt,our 2018 pick.

I think the Horford upgrade over Sully will be a significant move. 

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2016, 04:31:43 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
MetroGlobe, no player is perfect. Horford has become a weaker rebounder as he has aged.

But he brings a lot to the table across the board.

I'm not saying he's trash, or that we shouldn't get him.  I'm just asking who will play with him?  How will we address that weakness?

Amir Johnson will play with him.  Olynyk will play with him. 

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2016, 04:34:27 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Awesome a team full of role players and two middle aged over played players that might play in as many games As well probably win.  This is great planning  ::)