Author Topic: Evan Turner agrees to 4-year, $70M deal with Portland  (Read 12694 times)

Re: Evan Turner agrees to 4-year, $70M deal with Portland
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
ET will be missed for sure time for Smart to step up
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2016, 05:13:27 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I'll never get used to the money these guys make.  What's the ceiling?

Thanks for your service ET

There is something wrong with it.  If I made that amount I would give a huge portion of it away.  Most of them are ****es for not doing so. Wealth is not determined by monetary things.  It's what you do with it.  Money is a currency.  It does not mean they are rich.

Rich people give much larger percentages of their income to charity than us. Just because he doesn't give 90% of it away to live like us doesn't make him a bad guy.

I'm not saying he is a bad guy.  I'm more saying there is just something wrong with it in the bigger picture of things.  Turner isn't doing anything more than some people making 20k.  It's when people act like he somehow worked harder to earn that is a bunch of bs.

I'm saying all that money being funnelled to sports in general there is just something wrong with it.  It's no different than the media trying to get a piece of it and the amount of lies and bs that is in the media.  People watch sports but a lot of that detracts from peoples lives as much as it enriches it.

There are people who do much more amazing things that don't make a dime in their lifetime is all I'm saying.  People should keep that in perspective.  It's what society dictates and what they define as success.

« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2016, 05:19:11 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

There is something wrong with it.  If I made that amount I would give a huge portion of it away.  Most of them are ****es for not doing so. Wealth is not determined by monetary things.  It's what you do with it.  Money is a currency.  It does not mean they are rich.

Rich people give much larger percentages of their income to charity than us. Just because he doesn't give 90% of it away to live like us doesn't make him a bad guy.

I'm not saying he is a bad guy.  I'm more saying there is just something wrong with it in the bigger picture of things.  Turner isn't doing anything more than some people making 20k.  It's when people act like he somehow worked harder to earn that is a bunch of bs.

I'm saying all that money being funnelled to sports in general there is just something wrong with it.  It's no different than the media trying to get a piece of it and the amount of lies and bs that is in the media.  People watch sports but a lot of that detracts from peoples lives as much as it enriches it.

There are people who do much more amazing things that don't make a dime in their lifetime is all I'm saying.  People should keep that in perspective.  It's what society dictates and what they define as success.

I'm not justifying the money in anyway. I really think none should make more than a couple million max.

However when you are one of the best >1% people in the world at your job your services will be in demand no matter what industry and you will be paid as such. That's how a free market works.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2016, 05:31:22 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238

I'm not justifying the money in anyway. I really think none should make more than a couple million max.

However when you are one of the best >1% people in the world at your job your services will be in demand no matter what industry and you will be paid as such. That's how a free market works.

That's the thing.  I'm not jelly or anthing.  Maybe a little. That's  a lot of money lol but I love ET. I just think the way the world is set up there is something wrong when all that money is being funnelled where it is.  There shouldn't be that kind of imbalance of monetary wealth and power that way.

It's not as simple as saying oh just shut it off if you don't like it either.  I like sports.  Just a lot of it is too much though.  It's  a part of culture and some of it is kind of bad.

« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2016, 05:39:19 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Murf:
Turner also said he had questions after drafting of Brown and Smart's expanded role. "Don't know how it would work with the young guys."
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Does Brad Stevens get commission on this?
This.

If the Celtics become that franchise where you can come and turn into the best version of yourself, that is good news for us for the future.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2016, 06:44:34 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Really happy for the guy.

I feel like Turner was a talented player in Philly and then kinda got screwed in Indiana.

Boston took him in at a cheap price, and the whole time here all he did is work his butt off, and do absolutely everything and anything the coach asked him too.  Never complained, not once.

Looking at all the idiotic deals going on out there, Turner deserves it more then most of those guys.  Hes a far better player then Timofey freaking Mosgov.

« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2016, 06:46:10 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Really happy for the guy.

I feel like Turner was a talented player in Philly and then kinda got screwed in Indiana.

Boston took him in at a cheap price, and the whole time here all he did is work his butt off, and do absolutely everything and anything the coach asked him too.  Never complained, not once.

Looking at all the idiotic deals going on out there, Turner deserves it more then most of those guys.  Hes a far better player then Timofey freaking Mosgov.

Or Solomon Hill. That guy was barely in Indiana's rotation and he gets more money than Al Jefferson.

« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2016, 07:06:06 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
So we rejuvenate the career of an nba journey man that is one bad stint away from a career in China, and he gets an TEN million dollar raise!

The new contracts are insane! Smh

"Toughest decision I made, not about the money"

OK ET, enjoy the money, maybe you can get voice surgery or plastic surgery to hide the fact that you are a Martian

Here's to hoping we get Horford
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2016, 07:08:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Does Brad Stevens get commission on this?
This.

If the Celtics become that franchise where you can come and turn into the best version of yourself, that is good news for us for the future.

Sure, let's sign all of the troubled castaways to two year deals and help them get paid.

It's not contention, but it'll sure be interesting!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2016, 07:11:46 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I'm glad ET got payed.

I'm glad I got a chance to watch his nifty, herky-jerky, old-man midrange game.

I'm glad that I got a chance to read his quotes.

I'm glad that Smart will have the ball in his hands more often.

I'm sad because I think ET's gonna revert to his pre-Celtic game after he gets out from the tender wing of President Brad Stevens.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2016, 07:21:18 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I'm glad ET got payed.

I'm glad I got a chance to watch his nifty, herky-jerky, old-man midrange game.

I'm glad that I got a chance to read his quotes.

I'm glad that Smart will have the ball in his hands more often.

I'm sad because I think ET's gonna revert to his pre-Celtic game after he gets out from the tender wing of President Brad Stevens.
Stotts will use him the same. Turner is going to an upcoming team so he will still win. He is now set for life. If we lose out on Holford and KD we still would have not gave him this kind of money. He will always know that Boston is the best Basketball city. Enjoyed the jerk midrange. We have an open spot for a rookie now too.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2016, 07:59:03 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
I enjoyed watching him - he made a believer out of me..  I'm glad he found a place that he can continue to grow in.. Boston was no longer that place.

« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2016, 09:05:54 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Yeah, I know these unreal salaries are predicated on what the market will bear. And, the market says Turner is worth $70 million for 4 years. For that amount of money I'm expecting to see Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, or Lebron James type of talent.

Beginning to believe fans are getting ripped off. All this means is higher cable bills and jacked up ticket and concession stand prices. When will it end?  Does NBA basketball provide enough entertainment value to pay 2nd tier players this type of money? Will fans rebel or accept it? We'll have to wait for the ratings. 

« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2016, 11:17:10 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
ET earned his payday.  Thanks for your contribution as a Celtics Evan!  Good luck with Portland as long as they don't play us!

I would have liked to keep ET but not for that kind of money.  That's starter money.  And we need all our cap dollars to execute our max FA strategy.