Author Topic: Celtics interested in signing Deng  (Read 1766 times)

Celtics interested in signing Deng
« on: July 01, 2016, 02:56:45 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Via LegionHoops on Twitter.

Not a fan of the move. Wastes Durant money, he's older, doesn't really move the needle, and takes PT from Brown and the young guys. What would you guys think? At least he could give us some depth at the 3/4. Feels like a Danny move.

Re: Celtics interested in signing Deng
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 02:59:23 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Goodbye Jerebko? Goodbye Evan Turner that fosho.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 03:00:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I'd say he's backup plan if Durant doesn't come over.

I wonder if the plan is to match Deng and Horgord together if our Durant pursuit fails. An IT, Bradley, Crowder, Deng, and Horford lineup with our bench is a deadly small ball group, and it greatly increases our shooting and scoring from the bigs.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 03:01:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Via LegionHoops on Twitter.

Not a fan of the move. Wastes Durant money, he's older, doesn't really move the needle, and takes PT from Brown and the young guys. What would you guys think? At least he could give us some depth at the 3/4. Feels like a Danny move.
Dont see how it wastes Durant money.

Hed play primarily the 4 id imagine, and would bring vet experience, shooting, and defensive versatility.

Assuming the contract is short its a great plan C. Ala Amir Johnson last season.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 03:02:57 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 03:05:58 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
No disrespect to Deng (played with his brother and cousin in college), but I'd much rather tank than sign Deng or Kris Humphries. This is ridiculous. Tank for 2017.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I'd much rather tank than sign Deng or Kris Humphries. This is ridiculous. Tank for 2017.
that is whats really ridiculous.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 03:09:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Dang

Like to,gave had him

10 years ago.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 03:12:04 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'd much rather tank than sign Deng or Kris Humphries. This is ridiculous. Tank for 2017.

Where do you expect to finish in the East? As of today, NYK and Indy just passed us by. I wouldn't expect better than the 5 seed and another first round exit... so I'd rather tank for a star studded class. Sorry - I just don't like to suck. You apparently don't mind. Different strokes.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133

Where do you expect to finish in the East? As of today, NYK and Indy just passed us by. I wouldn't expect better than the 5 seed and another first round exit... so I'd rather tank for a star studded class. Sorry - I just don't like to suck. You apparently don't mind. Different strokes.
They haven't passed anyone yet. Sure, they may look good now, but wait until we're 20 games into the season. They are the Knicks after all, and team chemistry can play a bigger role than some think. I do agree though that both teams have made quality moves, the east is gonna be a whole heck of a lot more interesting than it was last year. But still let's wait and see, injuries can happen and teams can flame out (think of the 2012 lakers "superteam")

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

there is no dignity in tanking.  if you don't like to suck, why are you so willing to waive your white flag? 

besides, we're getting a top 5 pick regardless thanks to Brooklyn.  and we don't even know what we have in Brown yet. 

just like anything in life -- if you wanna be better, you have to take steps to improve.  tanking is the NBA version of a get-rich-quick scheme.  reality is, there are no short-cuts to success. 

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 03:28:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

A good rule of thumb is that about 75% of teams appear to have substantially improved every offseason.  Doesn't work out that way for most of em.  Milwaukee were much better than us on paper after signing Monroe last offseason.  Didn't happen.  Flipside, Portland was going to be one of the worst teams in the league after blowing it up last offseason - instead they made the 2nd round and gave the Warriors a fight.  And I don't think the Knicks are even better than us on paper right now unless the paper is from 2011.

Also, the "I don't like to suck" tack falls kinda flat when touting deliberately sucking as much as possible.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:34:52 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
I like Deng for 2 or 3 years.  As long as the deal is done after Durant signs somewhere else.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
He is old and doesn't play like he used to. IMO it seems like he has run out of miles, wherefore I would put the money to better use.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 03:40:35 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

We do not own brooklyn's '17 1st round pick. We own a right to swap with them. this means that in order for tanking to give us any value whatsoever, we need to become worse than the Brooklyn Nets.

Also, by becoming worse than the Brooklyn Nets we sacrifice what many would consider our greatest assets which is that pick swap.

I do not think that Danny can make us worse than the Brooklyn Nets this year without losing value on all of the players we have.

usually a team tanks rather than shoot for the 5 seed because the difference in talent available at pick 5 is exponentially different than that available at pick 23. With the Nets swap tanking is highly unlikely to even help our draft position at all.