Author Topic: Some updates from the Herald, including Horford meeting  (Read 3756 times)

Re: Some updates from the Herald, including Horford meeting
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
There is a lot of talk about getting Horford to pair with Durant.  But Durant is staying in OKC in all likelihood so without Durant, why would Horford want to come to Boston?

OK, so he would be an upgrade over Sullinger, at least until he suffer another major injury, but that is not saying much.  I am not sure Horford makes sense for us.
WE're a 48 win team without him.  Adding Horford should push us over 50 wins.  We're a nasty defensive team.  We're still lacking in interior defense, though.  Adding Horford would make a dangerous defensive team even more dangerous.  Should be one of the 3 best defenses in the league next season just by adding him.

We were certainly a 50 win team without Crowder and Kelly going down, Horford may push us to 55 plus wins.

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 03:24:01 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
I'm getting my hopes up too much. I REALLY want Al.

Yep. With or without Durant, it'll be a huge blow to not get Horford now. In everything from playing style to character he is a perfect fit.

I also think our KD pitch is much more enticing if we already have Horford on board.

Why would we want Horford without KD, though. We could win a title with Horford? I don't see it.

Chamionships teams aren't always assembled over one off-season. That would be nice, but sometimes you have to take the improvements one at a time. Horford definitely makes the Celtics better and shows future free agents the direction the team is moving.

This is what some people (mostly the dimwits on realgm) fail to understand. How can you attract stars without having stars already on your team? Continuing to roll over cap space and not do anything to address the team does what exactly? The Dubs rolled into Durant's meeting with Curry, Thompson, Green, and Iguodala. C's are selling a dream with just IT in the room.

Horford fills a big need along with helping improve the team perception. So much so I can't think about the alternative.

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 03:24:34 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
But the C’s still want to come out of this period with a center.

Where would Horford play, the 4 or the 5? I thought I remembered reading that he didn't want to play center.

Mike

I was wondering this same thing. Even if we lock up Horford (which I'm confident we can if he has decided to leave Atlanta) we still need a big body C, a la Dwight Howard. I'm definitely not advocating for Howard, but coming out of an Atlanta series where Horford and Milsap killed us, I definitely dont want to enter the season undersized. Maybe Ezeli?

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 03:26:40 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'm getting my hopes up too much. I REALLY want Al.

Yep. With or without Durant, it'll be a huge blow to not get Horford now. In everything from playing style to character he is a perfect fit.

I also think our KD pitch is much more enticing if we already have Horford on board.

Why would we want Horford without KD, though. We could win a title with Horford? I don't see it.

Chamionships teams aren't always assembled over one off-season. That would be nice, but sometimes you have to take the improvements one at a time. Horford definitely makes the Celtics better and shows future free agents the direction the team is moving.

This is what some people (mostly the dimwits on realgm) fail to understand. How can you attract stars without having stars already on your team? Continuing to roll over cap space and not do anything to address the team does what exactly? The Dubs rolled into Durant's meeting with Curry, Thompson, Green, and Iguodala. C's are selling a dream with just IT in the room.

Horford fills a big need along with helping improve the team perception. So much so I can't think about the alternative.

I agree with you - but making no changes is a popular option on this blog as well, as you will notice.

The affection with mediocrity escapes me.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 03:27:14 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think it would more be Horford over Howard.   Mahinmi and Mozgov as backups made some sense but for the money they are going for we might as well sign Howard.  I don't think I'd waste 2 max deals on Horford and Howard though.  Just one.  Save the cap space for someone else.

If Durant is totally out of the equation and every other big time player for a long time I'd reconsider that though. Why not just spend it on horford and howard if that's the best we can do?

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 03:29:41 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
OKC can't match a max offer in money terms. And they can't move Kanter to create space until July 12. Too late.They have a better shot at a title, but Horford is just one of several pieces there, and he might wind up like Ibaka. In Boston he would be the main guy, unless Durant is signed.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think the key is trying to get these signed before they can go elsewhere, why Ainge should be marching in with max offers.  I don't think we want to sacrifice flexibility and be stupid but what is the point of flexibility if players aren't going to be available.

There are only so many top players in the league.  Both Horford and Howard are top 25 I feel.  There are only so many in the top 10 and after this year they might not be available for a long time.

It's Ainge's job to guage that stuff if Durant is even going to be available at all like ever.

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2016, 03:34:49 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
But the C’s still want to come out of this period with a center.

Where would Horford play, the 4 or the 5? I thought I remembered reading that he didn't want to play center.

Mike

I was wondering this same thing. Even if we lock up Horford (which I'm confident we can if he has decided to leave Atlanta) we still need a big body C, a la Dwight Howard. I'm definitely not advocating for Howard, but coming out of an Atlanta series where Horford and Milsap killed us, I definitely dont want to enter the season undersized. Maybe Ezeli?

If they sign Horford, and don't sign Durant, they will probably not be through with bigs. On NBA TV, they were just talking about Atlanta having both Horford and Howard up front. Pretty stupid. Hawks can't even come close to having cap room for both. Still no talk about the Celtics.

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 05:41:59 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think they want all 3, start with Horford, dangle with Dwight, sign KD and see what's left for Dwight and if he'll accept maybe a 1 or 2 yr player friendly to build up his value next yr.  If no KD then get Dwight AFTER getting Horford.

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 11:43:20 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Dwight signed with the Hawks.  The Hawks have signed Bazemore (4/70) and Howard (3/70) so I feel that closes the door on Horford returning to Atlanta.

Now the real issue is will Horford sign with Boston in time for it to influence Durant's decision to sign with the Celtics.

I hope he doesn't drag it out and just makes up his mind tomorrow morning.  I'd love to see Horford+Durant in Boston come 2016!!

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 11:58:31 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Al Horford is not signing with Boston. If he was coming to Boston, he would of signed the Max contract tonight. Only way the Celtics get an all star player is to trap them by trade or draft. This is why I said we should really push for Ryan Anderson. He will take a Max contract then he will attract another player. Its a game of dominos

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2016, 12:01:01 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Al Horford is not signing with Boston. If he was coming to Boston, he would of signed the Max contract tonight. Only way the Celtics get an all star player is to trap them by trade or draft. This is why I said we should really push for Ryan Anderson. He will take a Max contract then he will attract another player. Its a game of dominos

If you think Ryan freakin Anderson will attract another max player you're out of your mind.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2016, 12:05:29 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Danny should give him a deadline that expires before the meeting with KD. I am not interested in Horford otherwise.

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2016, 12:09:47 AM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Ryan Anderson stinks.  Just because we don't get Durant this year doesn't mean we can't sign him next year if he opts out.  Sign Horford if you can no matter what.

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2016, 12:39:01 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Ryan Anderson has never been an All Star, he never will be an All Star if he hasn't been one by now, he's not worth a max contract even in this ridiculous summer bonanza, and no player in the league is ever going to see him as a reason to switch teams. I gather you don't win much at games of dominoes, or get very far when lining up a dominoes chain reaction, or whatever it is you've been doing with dominoes.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.