Author Topic: Don't spend to floor = future goodwill  (Read 629 times)

Don't spend to floor = future goodwill
« on: July 01, 2016, 02:09:44 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Just curious with the new salary floor.  My understanding is if a team doesn't spend to the floor, then the difference between what they spent and the floor will be divided up among their current players.  I wonder if any teams will take the strategy of falling well below the floor with the intention of earning goodwill among their current players, like IT, Crowder, AB, Smart, etc.. so that when they come to negotiate with those players in the future, they get a hometown discount. 

I'm not sure the formula they use for diving the money, but suppose it's by percentage of salary.  Suppose the C's fell $25 million below the floor.  That could conceivably mean an extra $3-$4MM to Thomas, Bradley and Crowder this year.  I'm sure they'd really appreciate it.

Not really suggesting they do this.  Just curious if that's a strategy some non-contending teams might consider.

Re: Don't spend to floor = future goodwill
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Just curious with the new salary floor.  My understanding is if a team doesn't spend to the floor, then the difference between what they spent and the floor will be divided up among their current players.  I wonder if any teams will take the strategy of falling well below the floor with the intention of earning goodwill among their current players, like IT, Crowder, AB, Smart, etc.. so that when they come to negotiate with those players in the future, they get a hometown discount. 

I'm not sure the formula they use for diving the money, but suppose it's by percentage of salary.  Suppose the C's fell $25 million below the floor.  That could conceivably mean an extra $3-$4MM to Thomas, Bradley and Crowder this year.  I'm sure they'd really appreciate it.

Not really suggesting they do this.  Just curious if that's a strategy some non-contending teams might consider.

It might make your own players happy but it really aggravates the agents of all they guys who could have gotten that money instead.

Mike

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It doesn't look good.  Because it makes the team ownership look like a cheapskate.  A lot of fans will question it and say, well Wyc didn't spend up to the cap, he's a cheapskate who's not interested in improving, just bottom line profits!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 04:09:32 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Not asking specifically about the C's.  But, I bet there will be several teams with like 3 spots to fill and $50MM to spend.  Should they just overpay on guys that don't deserve it to make agents happy, or just spend normally and allocate the leftover money to their existing players happy - and their agents will also get a cut, right?  We'll see what happens.

My first goal is to get Horford.  But, suppose they strike out on Horford and KD and don't want Howard.  They could find themselves in this situation.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
If we strike out on Howard, Durant and Horford, I think our best bet is to take the options on Jerebko and Johnson and field the following (which means allowing our young guys to get minutes and grow!):

1: Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
2: Bradley, Smart, Hunter
3: Crowder, Brown
4: Johnson, Jerebko, Mickey, Yabasule
5: Olynyk, Zizic, Vet Minimum

Spread the difference between our salary and the floor. I would rather see the guys above get more money than blow it on overpaid vets. Reload next summer with Durant or Hayward (and hopefully Griffin).

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 05:43:27 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
We are not going 0 for 3.