Author Topic: Al Jefferson agrees to 3-year, $30M deal with the Indiana Pacers  (Read 2674 times)

Re: Al Jefferson agrees to 3-year, $30M deal with the Indiana Pacers
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 12:37:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
On second though, I didn't realize how sharp Jefferson fell off the proverbial cliff last season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Re: Al Jefferson near deal with the Indiana Pacers
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
We are supposed to be making baby steps towards contending and Larry goes ahead and leap frogs us just by adding a few veterans. (With players that we scoff at).

Say what you will about the quality of his acquisitions, but on paper they just passed us by gathering talent without a "treasure trove" of assets.

Makes me question if it's worth holding out for that grand slam trade while we get promised fireworks every summer.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 12:46:16 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I don't really understand this move. All their off season moves have been about playing faster and smaller lineups. Big Al is a move in the opposite direction.

$10 mm a year seems like a good value, but 3 years is a long time. If any of the years are non guaranteed I like this deal a lot more.

This is where I'm at. Yeah, it's a good contract for someone like him, but I don't see how he really fits with what they're trying to do now. I'm not sure that he really moves the needle at all for them, even as a bench player.

I also have no interest in Big Al whatsoever, so I'm fine with us not getting him on such a reasonable contract.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 12:46:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
On second though, I didn't realize how sharp Jefferson fell off the proverbial cliff last season.

Yeah, he really went downhill, which is why he was so cheaply acquired. He also couldn't stay healthy.

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 12:47:07 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
We are supposed to be making baby steps towards contending and Larry goes ahead and leap frogs us just by adding a few veterans. (With players that we scoff at).

Say what you will about the quality of his acquisitions, but on paper they just passed us by gathering talent without a "treasure trove" of assets.

Makes me question if it's worth holding out for that grand slam trade while we get promised fireworks every summer.

I think it's impossible to compare our situation with theirs. They're building around PG13 and we have no one like that.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 12:48:01 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

He never got rolling then was injured, then got the weed suspension. By the time But Al got back Charlotte had moved forward without him.

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 12:49:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
So they will run out Treague, Ellis, George, Jefferson and turner. Second best team in the east?
+ Thad Young.

They are doing an awesome job of adding little incremental upgrades to that team.  If Paul George makes a real leap into superstardom, that team can be a real contender.

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I think it's impossible to compare our situation with theirs. They're building around PG13 and we have no one like that.
Yeah, they have their superstar and they have their potential star in Myles Turner (who I think has transitioned from under to overated on this board)  to build with, so now its about acquiring the right pieces. That said, Id still be a bit concerned as a Pacers fan that they might be angling towards Hawks/Bulls territory of faux-contention.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 12:51:28 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
3/30 is startling for Big Al.

He's clearly a bench player now for them. Young and Turner are the starters. Startling how much his value has declined. Jeremy Lin got more money.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 12:51:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
So they will run out Treague, Ellis, George, Jefferson and turner. Second best team in the east?
+ Thad Young.

They are doing an awesome job of adding little incremental upgrades to that team.  If Paul George makes a real leap into superstardom, that team can be a real contender.

Honestly, though, this seems like Toronto Raptors 2.0. Yeah, they're making upgrades that will make them win more games in the conference, but nobody really sees them as anything close to a title contender.

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 12:52:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Yeah, they have their superstar and they have their potential star in Myles Turner (who I think has transitioned from under to overated on this board)  to build with, so now its about acquiring the right pieces. That said, Id still be a bit concerned as a Pacers fan that they might be angling towards Hawks/Bulls territory of faux-contention.

Exactly this. I called it Toronto Raptors 2.0, though the Hawks might be a better example.

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 12:53:15 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
+ Thad Young.

Honestly, though, this seems like Toronto Raptors 2.0. Yeah, they're making upgrades that will make them win more games in the conference, but nobody really sees them as anything close to a title contender.

What are "we" doing to be a title contender?

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 01:00:50 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
+ Thad Young.

George is a better high end piece than Lowry or DeRozan so that gives them a bit more upward mobility.

A lot depends on the continued development of Turner defensively and as a floor spacer offensively.

But they've got a legit elite talent and one of the most skilled offensive supporting casts in the league - Teague, Ellis, Miles, Thad and Big Al - that's a lot of supplementary scoring.

Now they just need to turn Stuckey into a 3 +D wing or combo forward.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Wow. That's a great deal for Big Al. Despite me not wanting him back in green that's a steal of a deal in this market. I like his fit next to Turner. That's a solid team in Indiana.

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 01:25:07 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
the market has been acting up