Author Topic: The excitement about Celtics Player contracts should be tempered  (Read 925 times)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
because at some point these contracts are going to be a problem not this great positive that you think.

Our team thrives on playing hard every night. I just don't know how hard these players will play when they are making 6-8 million a year and they are guarding equal or lesser players that are making 20-28 million a year. With the type of trash talking that goes on in the NBA I know our players are going to get an earful about their abysmal contracts.

Will disgruntled players play hard?

Re: The excitement about Celtics Player contracts should be tempered
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:18:34 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I'd  like to think that our low contract guys are high character players

Bradley, Thomas, and crowder always play with a chip on their shoulder

They have pride in their work and effort
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 11:20:50 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Please.

Guys like AB and Crowder signed those contracts before they were very productive this season. AB was an injury risk and Crowder was a gamble (even at 7mil).

If these guys are resenting the contract they should just sign one year deals which, unless you're Lebron or KD is not in the best interest of both parties involved.

Do you slack off at your job because someone with the same title makes a little more than you?

This is ridiculous and has been covered before. I won't be the last one to point this out.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 11:25:10 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Thomas and Bradley will get paid in 2018 for sure. The good thing for us is their cap holds will be low at that point so it wouldn't preclude us from adding talent before going over the cap to sign them

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
because at some point these contracts are going to be a problem not this great positive that you think.

Our team thrives on playing hard every night. I just don't know how hard these players will play when they are making 6-8 million a year and they are guarding equal or lesser players that are making 20-28 million a year. With the type of trash talking that goes on in the NBA I know our players are going to get an earful about their abysmal contracts.

Will disgruntled players play hard?

So they're not going to play well because their feelings are hurt because their underpaid compared to their competition?

C'mon....these guys are grown adults.  They also signed NBA contracts under a CBA that was negotiated by their union.  They knew what they were getting into and a lot of this is a timing difference more than anything else.  They'll get theirs when their contracts are up.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I could see it being a problem if they sign mediocre players like Mozgov to $16 million per year.  That could create locker room problems.  Otherwise, I don't think it's a problem.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
yall act like we have never seen player's disgruntled by their contracts. Those players do not care about all the arguments you have made. All the players that have forced trades or contract renegotiations at one time signed the contracts they are unhappy with.

To the poster who asked if employees tank because they learn a co-workers is making more than them for the same amount of work, well they do at times. Those employees are also free to leave unlike NBA players that are bound by contract.

Mark my word, you will hear from some Celtics about these absurdly low contracts.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 11:49:22 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Steph Curry was the 5th highest paid player....on the Warriors last season.

He didn't coast once all season.

If anything, I could see players like Bradley and Crowder wanting to shut guys down making more than them, not make them look worth it.

I always worry about players dropping their effort once they get their ludicrous contracts, not the underpaid players going against them.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Thomas and Bradley will get paid in 2018 for sure. The good thing for us is their cap holds will be low at that point so it wouldn't preclude us from adding talent before going over the cap to sign them

Actually the Cs will have a pretty big issue with Smart, Bradley and IT all needing new contracts at that time and the cap holds will represent a ~$14M loss in space.

https://m.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics/comments/4jzkux/the_offseason_toolbox/

Obviously this doesn't take into account a potential lockout and a new CBA, but the Cs need to make some decisions here. One of the reasons they were likely to trade Bradley this summer, I'd think.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.