Author Topic: This offseason will be a win if...  (Read 2690 times)

This offseason will be a win if...
« on: July 01, 2016, 10:58:32 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
DA signs Howard to a 1/1 opt out sort of deal at 28mil a year...

Now before everyone goes ape ---- over this lets be realistic..

10 reasons

1. Celtics are not getting Durant... no matter how you put it the Celtics are by far the 4th best option for him so its not happening... money, players, city you name it
2. These contracts are getting insane and Howard by reports will take a shorter deal..
3. While the Celtics need that scorer really they dont...They were top 5 in scoring in the NBA... IT can score, Jae is a clutch shooter... Bradley can shoot as well..
4. Celtics biggest flaw last year was presence in the middle... opposing offensive rebounds and second chance points killed them ... yes they were a great defensive team but lost so many games off 2nd chance points... Howard really fills the need... rebounding machine, blocks shots, defends well..
5. This team is built on defense and will be so much stronger...
6. Howard will have a stronger offensive presence as well... IT gets to the rim and moves the ball well... it will be lob city in Boston..
7. A move like this sets them up for a stronger future... they can go stronger with bigger cap space at better FA markets.. If they make a stronger run in the playoffs it will only attract more FAs
8. Even if Howard didnt work it wouldnt kill the cap
9. They finally sign a big name... its a start but again good move for a team who has always struggled in FA
10. DA will finally be forced not to sign Sullinger and Zeller who in my opinion do not fit this team and overall hurt them in so many games down the stretch

Re: This offseason will be a win if...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I'm good with that and am not a huge fan of Howard. But on a 1/1, there's not much to lose.

It's time to accept the fact that it's no longer about this year, it's about next year. After KD, there's nobody left that I want to sign to a long-term, max deal. Let's deal with it another year.

And yes, I'm as sick of "wait 'til next year" as everyone else is. But this year's FA class does not hold a lot of alternatives.

Mike

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 11:15:33 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
dont forget those trade assets only will get better... it will be another bridge year ... but Howard can easily add 6-7 wins to a solid team... keep building, dont try to get greedy

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 11:17:42 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If Brown becomes a quality player it's already a win.  One impact player makes it a positive offseason, though 2-3 is of course much better.

...there's no way Howard is taking a 1/1 deal in this market though.  We'd have to give him his absolute max ($31 million) for him to even consider it I think.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 11:21:50 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
All good points, for the C's.  However, Howard wants to be no lower than a #2 option on offense.  Just doesn't seem like he fits in Stevens' system.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 11:27:09 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
All good points, for the C's.  However, Howard wants to be no lower than a #2 option on offense.  Just doesn't seem like he fits in Stevens' system.

Well that will def be part of the pitch...
Howard had a career low 8.5 attempts last year where he usually would have 10-12..
I think Stevens can assure him 10 shots a game and most will be part off IT's ability to get to the basket... not to mention lots of put backs..
The problem was with Howard is the last two teams he played behind absolute superstars in Kobe and Harden so yea he was far back in that pecking order... This situation will only help him and his ego...

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 11:45:52 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
If Brown becomes a quality player it's already a win.  One impact player makes it a positive offseason, though 2-3 is of course much better.

...there's no way Howard is taking a 1/1 deal in this market though.  We'd have to give him his absolute max ($31 million) for him to even consider it I think.

What contending team, with more of "his" type of market is going to pay him the full max?

I think if he was smart he would sign with us as a placeholder because just look at Evan Turner's turnaround. His career definitely withstood the initial knocks on him after playing inspired ball with us... the same can happen with Dwight, he can get his money here and have a system that will help shed some of his red flags.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The product on the floor improves, with shooting as the first priority and rim protection as the second.

Thus far, neither have been addressed at all.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 11:48:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
They were top 5 in scoring in the NBA...
The Celtics were 13th in offensive efficiency during the regular season, 24th in EFG% and 21th in TS%. Scoring help is definitely needed.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I agree on the Dwight Howard signing idea but $28m is too much. I see him falling in the $24m range.

I would also like us to take a hard look at Chandler Parsons. 4 years 94.8m ($23.7 per) is a good deal with the rising salary cap for a player of his skillset assuming he can stay healthy. The 4 year contract would take us through his age 31 season. He solves our outside shooting need.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 12:03:06 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
The Celtics were 13th in offensive efficiency during the regular season, 24th in EFG% and 21th in TS%. Scoring help is definitely needed.

I think Howard and a 40% 3 and D type guy (or former MVP & scoring champ) would give our offense a nice boost. Howard is efficient and I don't mind 10-12 shots from him a game of he's making them at 60+%.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 12:07:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

What contending team, with more of "his" type of market is going to pay him the full max?

I think if he was smart he would sign with us as a placeholder because just look at Evan Turner's turnaround. His career definitely withstood the initial knocks on him after playing inspired ball with us... the same can happen with Dwight, he can get his money here and have a system that will help shed some of his red flags.

I doubt any will give him the full max, though on a 1/1 setup several would consider it.  But look around the league at the contracts other big men are getting - why would he take a 1/1 with only $28 mill guaranteed when Jo Noah can get $72/4 and Mozgov $64/4?  It's not like his odds of getting a max deal are going to go up with one more year of wear on his body.   He's going to get a 3 or 4 year deal.   Hopefully the average will be a few million below 28 though.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 12:09:03 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I would argue it's our biggest need.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I doubt any will give him the full max, though on a 1/1 setup several would consider it.  But look around the league at the contracts other big men are getting - why would he take a 1/1 with only $28 mill guaranteed when Jo Noah can get $72/4 and Mozgov $64/4?  It's not like his odds of getting a max deal are going to go up with one more year of wear on his body.   He's going to get a 3 or 4 year deal.   Hopefully the average will be a few million below 28 though.

I might consider three at $24 per. No more. Too many red flags with Howard - health, attitude, clearly declining skills.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 12:16:07 PM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
Crowder is not clutch! AB is overrated on offense. He's at best a backup not a starter. I would take Dwight yes and he may be a piece in the right direction but we need shooting. IT was shut down in the playoffs and no one else stepped up. Please don't say AB would of saved us or even KO.