Author Topic: I hope YOU never forget this draft as a Celtics fan  (Read 4796 times)

I hope YOU never forget this draft as a Celtics fan
« on: July 01, 2016, 09:24:36 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I said on that day that Celtics fans would be the last to see the magnitude of what just happened to them (it's like when Ogaju was the only one around here who saw Doc's debacle coming).  But don't take this as a "gotcha" or "I told you so" thread because it's not.  If anything, I'm still saddened about how the whole thing unfolded.  If nothing happened in free agency (and it is looking like nothing will happen), we would've taken the satisfaction of nailing Jimmy Buttler or Okafor or Nerlens or Okafor and Nerlenes.  That would've have been huge to build on going forward. 

My prediction is what happened (or didn't happen) at the draft will impact the team for years.  Any trade that would net us any decent star would now cost us a arm and a leg.  That price Ainge didn't want to pay is now be doubled.  The value put on all the picks we have/had and our "assets" were extremely overrated.  And instead of cashing in to actually get some value for it, we snoozed.  Stop giving Danny Ainge a pass.  He's getting paid millions of dollars to get results, not to play head games. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Re: I hope YOU never forget this draft as a Celtics fan
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 09:27:22 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
A case can be made for exactly the opposite of you just said.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 09:29:26 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
A case can be made for exactly the opposite of you just said.

Make it

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 09:30:19 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Don't worry.

I won't soon forget the last two drafts.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 09:30:52 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
While youre all down in the dumps about what you wanted to happen. I'll be excited to watch every game played with my popcorn ready.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
While youre all down in the dumps about what you wanted to happen. I'll be excited to watch every game played with my popcorn ready.

Of course you would.  It's all we have to look forward to.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 09:32:14 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Celtic fans are whiny little bit......

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 09:34:24 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Do we ever forget a draft around here? 

Meanwhile, I will continue to believe that the Celtics front office still know a lot more about the prospects and what constitutes a good trade then impatient fans.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 09:34:32 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Are you really trying to make an "I told you so" thread about the draft before we see any of the guys we picked play a game?  Christ, we haven't even seen Summer League yet
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 09:34:50 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Celtic fans are whiny little bit......
Yea, a bit.  Doom and gloom on draft night and now at start of FA period.  Meantime the team is building for the future.

STAY STRONG FOR 2017.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Reality is FA of any value don't want to come to Boston so I doubt butler woulda made a difference.  We'll probably be able to trade peanuts for Noel or okafor when the time comes. 

The main thing is that BRAD STEVENS must get these young guys on the floor.  Another year of floundering around at .500 and not developing our talent or at least showcasing them is what's gonna hurt us more in the long run.

I'm looking forward to seeing brown ante and Yaba Dana develop but my fear is we'll see the same junk as last year with the same results.

And Danny shouldn't be off the hook because he's screwed up for many years now but I'm willing to be patient as long as we move forward.  We can't have all this young talent, no stars, and half the roster rotting away on the bench.  Either build with what we have or blow the whole wad.

By the way, get ready to be disembowed by the kool aid drinkers ::)

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 09:35:32 AM »

Offline Royrebirth

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Hey bud, you make some very good points, but can I ask you some questions? At what cost would the deals that Ainge passed on have been worth it? The media is often inaccurate in its reporting of proposed deals, even Woj - for all we know, those deals could not have been even remotely fair to us. Isn't it fair for us to trust the man that has been overall, pretty solid in delivering good-valued deals? Additionally, these international prospects are very talented players - they're just not touted like a player from Kentucky or Duke, although they likely have the talent to play there. So, I also think that while yes, I would have loved a well-known talent, I think there's also some value in seeing what these stashes/Jaylen bring.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 09:36:06 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Sorry man - There is no Pass needed for Danny..  The reality is to build a championship team that can contend for years you have to Draft and Develop your own star..   No consistent Contender has done so by Buying the ring. When when we made the move for KG and Ray we already had our Homegrown cornerstone to build around..

with that said, if we are serious about actually winning a ring then J Brown was the right choice..

For what the reports were, Butler would have cost us 2 starters and the #3 (the future) and all he would have netted us, with the team gutted was around 48 wins and a hope that next year we land the #1 pick.

He's a good player, not a superstar.

Danny is right to chase Durant but Who didn't think he was returning back to the team that drafted him..

IF Danny manages to Grab Durant and keeps Brown he is the GM of the year.. IF all he ends up with is the #3 he is still a [dang] good GM.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:51:46 AM by chiken Green »

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 09:37:44 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
Do we ever forget a draft around here? 

Meanwhile, I will continue to believe that the Celtics front office still know a lot more about the prospects and what constitutes a good trade then impatient fans.

Appeal to authority fallacy here is strong

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'll never forget it til next year, when there'll be a whole new draft to characterize apocalyptically based on my half-cocked opinions.