Author Topic: Pass on free agency!!  (Read 2358 times)

Re: Pass on free agency!!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 09:22:37 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
You can't sit around and do nothing. Sooner or later you have to spend some money you can't hold out till you get a superstar. If Durant and Horford sign else where than we need to go after the Howards of free agency.
Disagree.  I would rather do essentially "nothing", i.e. pick up options on just enough of our own players to reach the league minimum salary.

You don't have to reach the salary floor though. You can simply cut a check to the players on your roster and be done with it. Also, you can always simply do one-year deals if need be.
Even better!  Thanks for the info.

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 09:38:49 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 906
I don't understand. To everyone who is saying that we need to go out and spend money on FAs to make us a contender, who, exactly do you want us to sign?

Durant is going back to OKC. It's not only the logical move but also should be a surprise to no one.

After that, you have Howard and Horford and a bunch of role players. Assuming that we could somehow make them sign here, Howard and Horford are good, but neither makes us a champion this year and, if it comes to a choice between a team that makes the second round of the playoffs (at best) for the next four years and keeping our powder dry to sign a couple of stars in 2017 and 18, I'll take the latter every day of the week.

And if we can't sign stars in 2017 or 18? BFD. It's not like we are a champion with H&H. We'll rebuild through the draft and that will be that.

But seriously, this idea that we aren't attracting stars because we're not spending money is ridiculous. We're not attracting stars for the same reason that everyone else isn't: There are none to attract.

Mike

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 09:44:36 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Don't pass.  Just no long term overpayment.  2 year max.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 09:51:57 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Agreed. Sign a couple weeks of guys to Amir Nohnson style 1+1 contracts. Mahinmi and Turner maybe? $12 mil for Turner and $15 mil for Mahinmi. Team options for year two and simply decline their options next summer if a better player can be had in free agency

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 10:09:59 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
IF your going to overspend on a short deal do so in a position that we need.. A big (not A Turner) and also you guys keep in mind that We cant force a FA to sign a 1 +1 just because it works for us.. With the way teams are throwing money around they would be stupid to do so.. Broke Down Noah just got 72 Million..  Any decent player with a tiny bit of Game and 2 functioning legs should point to that as his Starting point..

And IF I read it right, the cap Will go up for 2 years then go back down.. So these lessor players are looking for longer deals now while the wallet is open..

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 10:55:35 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
You can't sit around and do nothing. Sooner or later you have to spend some money you can't hold out till you get a superstar. If Durant and Horford sign else where than we need to go after the Howards of free agency.

Actually, you can.  Especially when you won 48 games and can bring back your entire roster.

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 12:42:22 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I'm sort of with you.  I think the rising salary cap in the nba is somewhat shameful. What do we need Luol Deng for?  Just because we have 40 million to spend some guy is going to get grossly overpaid like David Lee when we just got rid of him?  We  have Crowder, Jerebko,Turner as well.  Just drafted Brown.

I like sports but the amount of tv money in the nba is absurd.  So is media.  I don't think it enhances the experience either.  I think most sports coverage is obnoxious and noise.  It's not what I enjoy about sports.  Most personalities in it are trendy unintelligent people as well.  Hey look we are espn we can have 12 guys all talking really loud about a bunch of nonsense at the same time.  Couldn't that money go to better things?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:49:24 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Or FA passed on us...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 01:14:40 PM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Ernie is looking to keep his job in Washington. You know he's going to spend lots of money to keep his team at .500.  Is it worth bidding against GM's like him?