Author Topic: Pass on free agency!!  (Read 2365 times)

Pass on free agency!!
« on: July 01, 2016, 05:55:21 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I thinK Ainge needs to turn off his phone assuming we strike out with KD.
$72 million for a shell of Noah?
$64 million for MOZGOV????
A max to Chandler Parsons?
$128 mill to Beal? Guy will be spending half that contract on the injury report.

These are the type of moves that destroy a teams future. Call me crazy but I just don't want to see the Celtics throw away what we've become just to stay competitive as a 5 seed in the East.

Build through the draft, try to make smart trades.. If all else fails wait until 2018 when all these teams have no money because they thought maxing out a stiff was a good idea back in 2016.

I'm just as antsy as the rest of you here but as Tommy would say THIS IS RIDICULOUS
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:02:56 AM by jbpats »

Re: Pass on free agency!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 06:01:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A QO to Sully was silly too, but I understand the insurance policy mindset to maintain flexibility.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 06:45:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I want to see a contender on the court .

The Celtics organization has and is making a killing .

Quit be cheap and sign 2-3 FA and play ball.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 06:52:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Who, though? Durant and Horford are already top priorities. I keep seeing posts that they need to go above the salary cap (which they can't), but who do you want them to sign? Mozgov - sometimes there is nothing you can do. It might be better to have the space in our cap for the trade deadline this season when teams start selling off players.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 06:59:40 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Sources telling me Celtics are reaching out to Gerald Wallace. Same contract as before being offered.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 07:02:32 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I thinK Ainge needs to turn off his phone assuming we strike out with KD.
$72 million for a shell of Noah?
$64 million for MOZGOV????
A max to Chandler Parsons?
$128 mill to Beal? Guy will be spending half that contract on the injury report.

These are the type of moves that destroy a teams future. Call me crazy but I just don't want to see the Celtics throw away what we've become just to stay competitive as a 5 seed in the East.

Build through the draft, try to make smart trades.. If all else fails wait until 2018 when all these teams have no money because they thought maxing out a stiff was a good idea back in 2016.

I'm just as antsy as the rest of you here but as Tommy would say THIS IS RIDICULOUS

I agree, the average contract for a good role player is $20 mil.
If you have 5 good role players you have no cap space anymore.
A lot of team will be stuck in mediocracy for 4 years.
Be smart, donc commit just to have a chance to improve.
We want championship in Boston, we don't want to be Atlanta.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 07:15:46 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

It has nothing to do with being cheap.  If you blow all your cap space this year on marginal talent and then miss out on or are hampered by those contracts in next years great free agent market, you will want to kick yourself.  Next year tons of studs will be on the market and any number of them could want to team up, saving that cap space or at least keeping within arms length is essential if Durant is not coming this year.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 07:21:54 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

After Durant goes there is no one who makes us a true contender. And furthermore if you tie yourself into a long term contract who guarantee missing out on future difference makers like Cousins and George in 2018

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 07:36:20 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

It has nothing to do with being cheap.  If you blow all your cap space this year on marginal talent and then miss out on or are hampered by those contracts in next years great free agent market, you will want to kick yourself.  Next year tons of studs will be on the market and any number of them could want to team up, saving that cap space or at least keeping within arms length is essential if Durant is not coming this year.

We already have a team full of marginal talent as it is.

But I suspect the people still living under the delusion that Ainge can build a champion from the draft - and after the last two drafts, God knows why anyone would ever think he can - are going to be very happy.

The mediocrity will persist on the floor, the same old excuses will be trotted out and we'll be treated to another first-round playoff pounding.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:43:10 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 07:42:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Indeed, you only have to look ahead one year to see what is going to happen.  The cap will rise again, substantially, and the crop of elite FAs going to be impressive.  Ainge has said numerous times he wants "special" players.  That means transcendent talent, elite players, i,e., top-5.  That is his record too, he brought in KG (and RA).

Signing 2-3 FA now (except KD as pointed out) DOES NOT make you a contender, it only makes you more competitive, and probably hampers the development of the young talent.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 08:14:13 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
You can't sit around and do nothing. Sooner or later you have to spend some money you can't hold out till you get a superstar. If Durant and Horford sign else where than we need to go after the Howards of free agency.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 08:25:24 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
You can't sit around and do nothing. Sooner or later you have to spend some money you can't hold out till you get a superstar. If Durant and Horford sign else where than we need to go after the Howards of free agency.
Disagree.  I would rather do essentially "nothing", i.e. pick up options on just enough of our own players to reach the league minimum salary.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 08:29:43 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
There are more top FA next season and we would be able to afford almost 3 max.
Next season not many could afford 1 max if any.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 09:17:16 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
They have plenty of cap space Ainge has spent years creating. No time to pinch pennies. The cap is increasing and everybody is going to overspend. This will be a real test of whether Wyc is willing to open his wallet. Right now, if they really want Durant, they should be blowing Horford out of the water with an offer OKC can't match.

They have cap space leverage they must use if they are to get better. Time to be aggressive.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 09:19:24 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Disagree.  I would rather do essentially "nothing", i.e. pick up options on just enough of our own players to reach the league minimum salary.

You don't have to reach the salary floor though. You can simply cut a check to the players on your roster and be done with it. Also, you can always simply do one-year deals if need be.