Author Topic: Timofey Mozgov has agreed to 4-year, $64 million deal with the L.A. Lakers  (Read 5324 times)

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Welcome to the new salary cap people. I expect this contract to appear to be pretty reasonable when all is said and done after this year's and next year's free agency periods are over. This is just the tip of the iceberg for ridiculous contracts that we are going to see. Mark my words on that.

The $ per year, yes, that'll seem reasonable for a younger big man, but the length of the deal makes this a major gamble.  Unless Mozgov can play substantially better than he did this year the Lakers will likely be looking to dump this contract by Year 3.  Still not as bad as the Noah deal though.
Dumping Robin Lopez to sign Noah makes zero sense to me.

Theses decisions were made by the New York Knicks.  Clearer now?   ;)

...they may have needed to give up Lopez to get Rose?  I don't know, it's not like that seems like a savvy move either, but "because Knicks" is nice and parsimonious.

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Welcome to the new salary cap people. I expect this contract to appear to be pretty reasonable when all is said and done after this year's and next year's free agency periods are over. This is just the tip of the iceberg for ridiculous contracts that we are going to see. Mark my words on that.

The $ per year, yes, that'll seem reasonable for a younger big man, but the length of the deal makes this a major gamble.  Unless Mozgov can play substantially better than he did this year the Lakers will likely be looking to dump this contract by Year 3.  Still not as bad as the Noah deal though.

I think the fourth year is a team option.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Lakers will be in the Finals next year. Mozgov vs Lebron. I heard that Mozgov felt it was Lebron's fault he wasn't playing, now he's out for revenge.
 Expect a prime like Shaq season for big Timmy!

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The Bulls wanted Lopez in the Rose deal.  It wasn't just a dump, it was to acquire Rose, who obviously will never be a MVP level player, but absolutely could be a pretty solid player in NY.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I *think" this is the worst contract of the silly season so far but its really tough to gauge these things so far.  The market is flexing out and we don't exactly know what things look like when it stabilizes.

But, on the surface, this deal seems "wow".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I *think" this is the worst contract of the silly season so far but its really tough to gauge these things so far.  The market is flexing out and we don't exactly know what things look like when it stabilizes.
I'm pretty sure signing Batum to $24 million AAV has no competition so far.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Mozgov signs for 4 years, 64 million...

This is a sign of desperation.

No more "showtime" for these Lakers, more like "molasses" time.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

The Bulls wanted Lopez in the Rose deal.  It wasn't just a dump, it was to acquire Rose, who obviously will never be a MVP level player, but absolutely could be a pretty solid player in NY.
I mean when you can bet on a guy who's been near sub replacement for 3 years going and just sacrifice a better center than the FA you want to pay MORE, you gotta do it.

Knicks.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Darren Rovell notes that $64 million for 4 years of Mozgov is the equivalent of 11 years of the highest salary they ever paid Kareem, even when adjusting for inflation.    :o

Someone else also noted this deal guarantees the Lakers won't have 2 max FA space next offseason  ;D ;D

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
 Who is making those decisions?

Why on Earth would they do that signing ahead of 2017. We know Westbrook supposedly wants to go there, I am sure he did not envision joining forces with Mozgov though. Is there an out clause in this signing?

Maybe they envision Ingram paired with Westbrook and the rest of the team they have assembled now, and they would not need 2 max players in 2017. I know I wish we had Ingram. We wouldn't need Durant and could sign to big men like Horford/Howard to combine with current parts.

Reminds me of the current state of the Yankees. Great times we live in.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Why on Earth would they do that signing ahead of 2017. We know Westbrook supposedly wants to go there, I am sure he did not envision joining forces with Mozgov though. Is there an out clause in this signing?

When you have a chance to roll out a Mozgov/Hibbert twin tower lineup, you've gotta seize that dream my friend.