Author Topic: Timofey Mozgov has agreed to 4-year, $64 million deal with the L.A. Lakers  (Read 5316 times)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Lakers are desperate to sign anybody, so they overpay Mozgov. Meanwhile, we're getting meetings with Durant, Howard and Horford. I love it, especially if we land one or two out of three.

And they gave $50m to Clarkson!

That is like a bargain basement deal compared to Mozgov - so glad it's the Lakers. The Clarkson deal opens up options to trade Russell.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Nobody ever said the Lakers weren't scard to spend the money .

Glade he is going there .

Never thought  much of his game.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Mongol a good signing by Lakers. He has skills, and is huge.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Mozgov is slowing down. All that size and weight. Physically, it looked like he took a big step back last season. I don't think he will age well. He will struggle too much with the pace and mobility required of a center nowadays.

I think they have just swapped out Hibbert for Mozgov. Two similar players. Excellent size. Slow footed. Similar defensive strengths and weaknesses. Hibbert a better passer. Mozgov a better rebounder. Mozgov a bit more efficient scoring wise but fairly similar skill-set. I don't think the Lakers have improved at all by swapping Hibbert for Mozgov and they have screwed themselves with this terrible contract.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Glad they got him I didn't want him.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Mozgov is slowing down. All that size and weight. Physically, it looked like he took a big step back last season. I don't think he will age well. He will struggle too much with the pace and mobility required of a center nowadays.

I think they have just swapped out Hibbert for Mozgov. Two similar players. Excellent size. Slow footed. Similar defensive strengths and weaknesses. Hibbert a better passer. Mozgov a better rebounder. Mozgov a bit more efficient scoring wise but fairly similar skill-set. I don't think the Lakers have improved at all by swapping Hibbert for Mozgov and they have screwed themselves with this terrible contract.

Yup .....they gained very little ground and are going to have his contract hung around their necks a while .... :D

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Yup .....they gained very little ground and are going to have his contract hung around their necks a while .... :D

When I saw this I was happy. Good job Lakers. You found Roy Hibbert's replacement for four more years. As it stands, Mozgov is the sole veteran they have right now. Would be hilarious if they struck out big time elsewhere.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Is Mozgoz any better than Tyler Zeller?  Sullinger and Zeller will probably get comparable offers.

This is going to be a very sick FA season.  The salary floor is $83M!  Teams have to spend.  There are going to be a lot of players getting what will seem to be big offers.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The idea is to root for the Lakers to make bad moves for the long-term that also make them just good enough for the next 2 years to stay out of the lottery.

So, good job on the Mosgov signing.   ;)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Welcome to the new salary cap people. I expect this contract to appear to be pretty reasonable when all is said and done after this year's and next year's free agency periods are over. This is just the tip of the iceberg for ridiculous contracts that we are going to see. Mark my words on that.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Lakers are desperate to sign anybody, so they overpay Mozgov. Meanwhile, we're getting meetings with Durant, Howard and Horford. I love it, especially if we land one or two out of three.

My guess is that we get zero out of the three, but that's beside the point. We're getting meetings. They aren't.

Mike

Welcome to the new salary cap people. I expect this contract to appear to be pretty reasonable when all is said and done after this year's and next year's free agency periods are over. This is just the tip of the iceberg for ridiculous contracts that we are going to see. Mark my words on that.

You mean like last year when half the world was screaming about paying Bradley $8m and now he looks like a bargain?

Ahh, good times...

Mike

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So Tristan Thompson is officially the only legit big in Cleveland now?  Considering Kevin Love's demise and tendency to live on the three point line.
They like Sasha Kaun though hard to say how good he really is since he barely played last year.  He was a quality player in Europe on a premier team for a number of years though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah Mozgov didn't look good this past year. If he regains some of his Denver mobility and form it will be an "okay" deal.

If he doesn't it'll be a disaster.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

The $ per year, yes, that'll seem reasonable for a younger big man, but the length of the deal makes this a major gamble.  Unless Mozgov can play substantially better than he did this year the Lakers will likely be looking to dump this contract by Year 3.  Still not as bad as the Noah deal though.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

The $ per year, yes, that'll seem reasonable for a younger big man, but the length of the deal makes this a major gamble.  Unless Mozgov can play substantially better than he did this year the Lakers will likely be looking to dump this contract by Year 3.  Still not as bad as the Noah deal though.
Dumping Robin Lopez to sign Noah makes zero sense to me.