Author Topic: Woj- Horford has meeting set with the Celtics  (Read 8082 times)

Re: Woj- Horford has meeting set with the Celtics
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Horford is a player that would move the needle, that's what I'm looking for, players that move the needle.

He fits the style of what DA and Stevens are looking to build. With him playing the 5, on offense he stretches the floor, (or can play back to the basket). He's a good passer, a good rebounder, he runs the floor, he likes playing the game with pace, and ball movement, and can matchup with true centers around the league size wise.

What's more intriguing is he can also play the 4 in a lineup with a true 5. Hopefully we someday we have a true big guy to use as a change of pace.

No, he's not a guy you're gonna run out and buy his Jersey, but he's a guy that gets you wins during a season.

He fits.

Completely agree. TP.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 12:28:39 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
The celts have to get a max offer in front of Horford today.  Let him know that we want him with or without KD.

It's an overpay, but it is worth the risk.  Best case scenario, having Horford locked in before KD meeting makes us that much more enticing and might help to get KD to sign with us.

Worst case, your front court is much stronger for the next 4 years during Isiah's prime with cap flexibility to pounce whenever another opportunity presents itself.  Plus you are solid team in the east for the next several years, while we continue to accumulate young talent from the Brooklyn picks.

By the time Horfords contract is up, our next young corp will be ready to take on larger roles.

Celts really are in a good spot here. But we do need to at a minimum come away with Horford or Dwight during this free agency to take a step forward for our current corp.

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 12:29:13 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
The celts have to get a max offer in front of Horford today.  Let him know that we want him with or without KD.

It's an overpay, but it is worth the risk.  Best case scenario, having Horford locked in before KD meeting makes us that much more enticing and could push KD to sign with us.

Worst case, your front court is much stronger for the next 4 years during Isiah's prime with cap flexibility to pounce whenever another opportunity presents itself.  Plus you are solid team in the east for the next several years, while we continue to accumulate young talent from the Brooklyn picks.

By the time Horfords contract is up, our next young corp will be ready to take on larger roles.

Celts really are in a good spot here. But we do need to at a minimum come away with Horford or Dwight during this free agency to take a step forward for our current corp.

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 12:36:57 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I don't think they are getting Durant, that ship has sailed.  However, I will be disappointed if the C's don't walk away with one of Horford or Howard..

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 12:38:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't think they are getting Durant, that ship has sailed.  However, I will be disappointed if the C's don't walk away with one of Horford or Howard..
If the grand prize of this offseason is Horford at the max, I'll be quite disappointed. I'd rather do nothing instead.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
the odds are certainly slim, but why abandon hope before he officially isnt coming here?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 12:41:21 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
If the grand prize of this offseason is Horford at the max, I'll be quite disappointed. I'd rather do nothing instead.

Watching Horford play against us opened my eyes at how Horford is nowhere near a max player. Only if it comes with another big signing will that be worth it. I think I would prefer defense and rebounding in the middle with Howard than Horford shooting 3's. If we get neither does that mean we throw big money at role players like a Mahinmi?

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2016, 12:43:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Watching Horford play against us opened my eyes at how Horford is nowhere near a max player. Only if it comes with another big signing will that be worth it. I think I would prefer defense and rebounding in the middle with Howard than Horford shooting 3's. If we get neither does that mean we throw big money at role players like a Mahinmi?
This. And then he went on and actually played even worse of the remainder of the playoffs. Decent player, high character guy, probably will get a max offer from someone. Will likely be the worst signing of the offseason this way.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 12:52:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

This. And then he went on and actually played even worse of the remainder of the playoffs. Decent player, high character guy, probably will get a max offer from someone. Will likely be the worst signing of the offseason this way.
Are you guys referring to the playoffs in which Horford lead the Hawks past us in 6 quick games?  THe one where he averaged 13.4 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 2.4 blocks, 1.2 steals with 47% shooting, 39% from three and 94% from the line?  Heh

Horford is underrated.

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
I'll take Horford with or without Durant. We still have flexibility and options going forward while upgrading the 4/5 from last year.

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 12:57:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Are you guys referring to the playoffs in which Horford lead the Hawks past us in 6 quick games?  THe one where he averaged 13.4 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 2.4 blocks, 1.2 steals with 47% shooting, 39% from three and 94% from the line?  Heh

Horford is underrated.
Call me old-fashioned, but I think I can get 90% of this production from Kelly Olynyk at 1/3 of the cost. Also, I expect more than 6.5 rebounds from my starting center.

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2016, 12:59:58 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Horford is underrated.

6 "quick" games? You mean instead of the maximum 7?  Those are NOT max player stats. Yes he is a good solid NBA player and is great during the regular season but in the playoffs he is real average. He often times looked lost in the series against us. He alone doesn't move us closer to an NBA title. He's a decent player and that's it  not a 26 million dollar man.

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

Horford is underrated.
Call me old-fashioned, but I think I can get 90% of this production from Kelly Olynyk at 1/3 of the cost. Also, I expect more than 6.5 rebounds from my starting center.

Eh, he doesn't provide any of the defense or rim protection that Horford does, though.

Also, regarding his contract, you might have him cheaper this year, but it's almost guaranteed that in an even bigger cap he'll get close to $20M per year next year.

Personally, I'd take my chances with Horford only making 6 or so more million than KO in the coming years.

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2016, 01:05:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Horford is underrated.
Horford's averages for our 6 game series were 13 points 9 rebounds 4 assists and 3 blocks.

I honestly hardly noticed him, but thats kinda been his career MO. He quietly helps his team win in literally every way possible.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2016, 01:07:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Horford is underrated.

Eh, he doesn't provide any of the defense or rim protection that Horford does, though.

Also, regarding his contract, you might have him cheaper this year, but it's almost guaranteed that in an even bigger cap he'll get close to $20M per year.
He provides enough defense. He may not provide the shot blocking, but the 2.5 blocks against the Celtics were a blip on the radar for Horford.