Author Topic: Woj- Horford has meeting set with the Celtics  (Read 8088 times)

Re: Woj- Horford has meeting set with the Celtics
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 12:52:55 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Ofc, if signing Horford works but Durant fails we still got Dwight Howard as a backup...bolster that front court!

It would be a very good plan B, for sure.

My personal preferences are:

1) Durant + Dwight + Horford
2) Durant + Dwight
3) Durant + Horford
4) Dwight + Horford 

If we could pull either one of those four moves off I'd honestly be pretty ecstatic.

I like Horford , but is he really someone to get excited about? Why would anyone want to come to the Celts just because Horford is on the team.

Because we already have an All-Star in Isaiah Thomas, and we already have two very nice two-way starters in Bradley and Crowder.  Our main weakness (the main thing holding us back from challenging the contenders) is our horribly weak frontcourt, and while I'm not a massive Horford fan he would improve that frontcourt quite a bit.

The thing with Horford though is that he is a guy who was pretty much BUILT to be a #3 guy - mainly because he's such a solid all around player and is a very team oriented guy.  He's the type of guy who will play whatever role you ask him to play, and he's not going to X amount of touches or Y amount of shot attempts.

If you are a guy like Durant, you already know that joining the Celtics means you're sharing the ball with Isaiah.  That's perfectly fine because there are plenty of shots to go around for two guys.  But throw in a third high usage star into the mix and things could become messy. 

Horford and Dwight are both perfect fits alongside Durant/Thomas because they are both the type of players who can be effective on the court without having to be the focal point of the offense.   Horford can happily sit out and take whatever open jumpers / layups the defense gives him, while Dwight can gobble up offensive rebounds and get a significant amount of his offense from that alone.

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 01:57:39 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I didn't watch The Vertical live show, but apparently our meeting with Horford is tomorrow Friday per Woj.

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 02:00:33 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I didn't watch The Vertical live show, but apparently our meeting with Horford is tomorrow Friday per Woj.

I think we meet with Howard tomorrow, too.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 02:00:59 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
How would Dwight and Horford work there both 5s would we put Al at the 4?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 02:03:26 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Horford can play the 4, especially now with his extended range. He's actually just played the 5 in Atlanta due to them needing that, but in college he was a 4 next to Noah.

Between those two and our other guys, we'd have an extremely versatile lineup.

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 02:03:44 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Seeing mediocre players getting huge money, we really need to go all in on Horford and/or Howard.  If we get both, great, if not I think we need to maintain flexibility to go after Durant again next year or Hayward.

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 02:18:45 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
All the silly money is being spent right now.  So if you want either Horford or Howard, get ready to pony up a max deal. Personally I don't think either one deserves that even though they'll both upgrade the team a bit.  But not to championship level.  Durant's the only guy who does that.

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 02:49:55 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
All the silly money is being spent right now.  So if you want either Horford or Howard, get ready to pony up a max deal. Personally I don't think either one deserves that even though they'll both upgrade the team a bit.  But not to championship level.  Durant's the only guy who does that.

But that's the market right now. Most don't deserve half of what they're going to get right now.

If you want these players, be prepared to ante up.

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 03:16:33 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I'll say, let the other teams tie their money up this season and we'll be the only one team to afford near 3 max players next season.
If we don't get KD, get some 1+1 nice players (like Deng) to help this season.
That should be the plan.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:36:03 AM by LGC88 »

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 03:21:07 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Horford can play the 4, especially now with his extended range. He's actually just played the 5 in Atlanta due to them needing that, but in college he was a 4 next to Noah.

On offense, maybe, but I have severe reservations about him being able to defend that position.

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 10:03:50 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Reading the tweets, I see Miami maxed out Whitesides. Ainge has salary cap leverage, and he can't screw around with Horford. If he wants him, he has to max him out immediately, and blow OKC out of the water. That doesn't guarantee Durant, but it does improve his chances with him--and other FAs.

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 10:09:29 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

On offense, maybe, but I have severe reservations about him being able to defend that position.

Think about our biggest rival in the East - Cleveland. A Horford/Howard pairing is actually the perfect pairing for that, because Horford can greatly limit someone like Love. And if they go small, then we just match them with only one of Horford and Howard and use our excellent versatility to play small-ball.

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 10:15:55 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

Think about our biggest rival in the East - Cleveland. A Horford/Howard pairing is actually the perfect pairing for that, because Horford can greatly limit someone like Love. And if they go small, then we just match them with only one of Horford and Howard and use our excellent versatility to play small-ball.
Interesting thought. I don't think I can argue with that - assuming Howard shows up to play on at least a somewhat regular basis.

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 10:53:18 AM »

Offline jbarnies

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2

He'll essentially replace Sully so I don't worry too much about that.

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 12:17:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Horford is a player that would move the needle, that's what I'm looking for, players that move the needle.

He fits the style of what DA and Stevens are looking to build. With him playing the 5, on offense he stretches the floor, (or can play back to the basket). He's a good passer, a good rebounder, he runs the floor, he likes playing the game with pace, and ball movement, and can matchup with true centers around the league size wise.

What's more intriguing is he can also play the 4 in a lineup with a true 5. Hopefully we someday we have a true big guy to use as a change of pace.

No, he's not a guy you're gonna run out and buy his Jersey, but he's a guy that gets you wins during a season.

He fits.