Author Topic: David Aldridge with possibly the stupidest trade idea in history.  (Read 5750 times)

Re: David Aldridge with possibly the stupidest trade idea in history.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 11:18:23 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
It only makes sense if we are trying to clear space to sign Horford, Durant and Howard. That would be quite the superteam for 2-3 years.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 11:23:22 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
It only makes sense if we are trying to clear space to sign Horford, Durant and Howard. That would be quite the superteam for 2-3 years.

Actually, it still makes no sense. Why not trade Smart, Jae and Amir for a draft pick or two?

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 11:37:53 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 11:56:02 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere.  It's so painfully stupid that it deserves it's own thread.

"Ten Moves that Make a Lot of Sense as NBA Free Agency Nears:"  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2649317-ten-moves-that-make-a-lot-of-sense-as-nba-free-agency-nears

5. Al Horford should sign with the Celtics in a sign-and-trade deal.  Boston sends Amir Johnson, Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, the rights to Demetrius Jackson and a 2018 first-round pick to the Hawks.

He later clarifies which 2018 pick he'd suggest including:

I'm pretty sure Boston won't surrender the 2017 first-rounder it'll get from Brooklyn, but Atlanta would be right to hold out for the 2018 first Boston also gets from Brooklyn. The Nets will almost certainly still be lottery-bound by then.

Holy crap.

I saw the title of the thread and thought "I bet it's probably not that stupid an idea at all, and it's just a CB dude being over dramatic."

Then I read the details of this trade idea...and I must say I agree.  This really is a horribly idiotic trade idea by Aldridge.  Kinda expected more from him, he's not usually THIS ridiculous. 

If Boston turned down a trade of Butler for #3, Bradley and Crowder...and turned down a deal of #3 for Noel, Covington and two late firsts...then why on earth would they do this  laugher of a deal?

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 11:59:59 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 12:16:39 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
While we're at it, why not give IT his outright release, punch ourselves in the nuts, and set fire to TD Garden?

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 12:28:27 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
At least we get to hang onto Jimmy Young...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 12:31:51 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
At least we get to hang onto Jimmy Young...

Banner 18 here we come!!!

:)

Rak

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 09:30:35 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere.  It's so painfully stupid that it deserves it's own thread.

"Ten Moves that Make a Lot of Sense as NBA Free Agency Nears:"  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2649317-ten-moves-that-make-a-lot-of-sense-as-nba-free-agency-nears

5. Al Horford should sign with the Celtics in a sign-and-trade deal.  Boston sends Amir Johnson, Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, the rights to Demetrius Jackson and a 2018 first-round pick to the Hawks.

He later clarifies which 2018 pick he'd suggest including:

I'm pretty sure Boston won't surrender the 2017 first-rounder it'll get from Brooklyn, but Atlanta would be right to hold out for the 2018 first Boston also gets from Brooklyn. The Nets will almost certainly still be lottery-bound by then.

Holy crap.

Atlanta says no. Amir Johnson is overpaid, Brooklyn will be a contender by 2018, and Marcus Banks 2.0! \s

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Nice catch. He should join the Felger and Mazz show -- it'd uptick the overall basketball knowledge there.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 09:56:20 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
To add further insult to this, he edited the article afterward and, I don't believe, mentioned that he changed it.

The original article said that we should sign and trade to get Horford his 5th year max but those 5th years are restricted from sign and trade deals.  He changed that and removed the 5th year but kept everything else in there. So technically we'd be paying that premium in order to get Horford to sign a contract he could sign off on right now. So, no, there is zero reason to do that trade even for Horford who would be coming to a demonstrably worse team.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 09:57:11 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
In order to pay Horford more - I could see trading Amir/Jerebko/Young and a couple of 2nds.  The ability to pay him more would be a huge plus for Danny being able to sign him.

Simar to LeBron signing with Miami. The Cavs ended up doing a sign and trade and at least got something for him. LeBron was able to get a bigger contract

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 10:08:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
His theory as the sign and trade would allow Boston to still be able to sign a maximum free agent, but yet he didn't premise the trade on needing the room to actually sign anyone, which is what makes it so ridiculous. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 10:10:30 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
The Hawks should hold out for Bradley, Thomas, Jaylen and all the future picks we have as well.

Let's just ship out the whole roster and all our draft assets for a 30 year old above average center.

This really is one of the dumbest suggestions I've ever read from a professional writer. I was about to bullet point the nonsense but then realized there is literally no logic to this scenario, there's no reason to dissect it.

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 10:13:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
His theory as the sign and trade would allow Boston to still be able to sign a maximum free agent, but yet he didn't premise the trade on needing the room to actually sign anyone, which is what makes it so ridiculous.
Lots of reporters have no idea how the CBA/Salary Cap actually work.

Aldridge just reveals he is one of them. This is a rote by numbers column for back in the old CBA allowed sign and trades to give extra money or when the cap wasn't going bonkers.

Just a mail in column.