Author Topic: David Aldridge with possibly the stupidest trade idea in history.  (Read 5719 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere.  It's so painfully stupid that it deserves it's own thread.

"Ten Moves that Make a Lot of Sense as NBA Free Agency Nears:"  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2649317-ten-moves-that-make-a-lot-of-sense-as-nba-free-agency-nears

5. Al Horford should sign with the Celtics in a sign-and-trade deal.  Boston sends Amir Johnson, Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, the rights to Demetrius Jackson and a 2018 first-round pick to the Hawks.

He later clarifies which 2018 pick he'd suggest including:

I'm pretty sure Boston won't surrender the 2017 first-rounder it'll get from Brooklyn, but Atlanta would be right to hold out for the 2018 first Boston also gets from Brooklyn. The Nets will almost certainly still be lottery-bound by then.

Holy crap.

Re: David Aldridge with possibly the stupidest trade idea in history.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 10:36:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere.  It's so painfully stupid that it deserves it's own thread.

"Ten Moves that Make a Lot of Sense as NBA Free Agency Nears:"  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2649317-ten-moves-that-make-a-lot-of-sense-as-nba-free-agency-nears

5. Al Horford should sign with the Celtics in a sign-and-trade deal.  Boston sends Amir Johnson, Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, the rights to Demetrius Jackson and a 2018 first-round pick to the Hawks.

I'm pretty sure Boston won't surrender the 2017 first-rounder it'll get from Brooklyn, but Atlanta would be right to hold out for the 2018 first Boston also gets from Brooklyn. The Nets will almost certainly still be lottery-bound by then.

Holy crap.
should mention this is a sign and trade with Atlanta for Horford.  utterly stupid idea.  just sign him outright as a FA and keep the assets. 

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:36:55 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Lol. I guess that's what writing for BR does for you.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:38:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I used to really like David Aldridge back in the day.  He was always the guy with inside info.  He was at ESPN, right?  Then they replaced him with Screamin Steven A. 

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 10:39:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Holy crap.
should mention this is a sign and trade with Atlanta for Horford.  utterly stupid idea.  just sign him outright as a FA and keep the assets.
Exactly.  It makes no sense whatsoever.  Just sign him.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 10:42:03 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Saw this the other day. I was really tempted to create a Twitter account just to blast him. Why the hell would they even consider a sign & trade like that, which is sending a TON out, when they have room to sign him outright??

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 10:43:17 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I used to really like David Aldridge back in the day.  He was always the guy with inside info.  He was at ESPN, right?  Then they replaced him with Screamin Steven A.

I like the pieces he writes for NBA.com, the Morning Tip? I think that's what it's called.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 10:44:34 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Saw this on Reddit earlier. Let's just say I can't repeat my reaction here :). Incredibly stupid idea.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 10:47:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So I guess the only way something like this would happen is if Horford demanded that he gets signed and traded for Boston's package of assets in order to 'hook up' his old team. Obviously that doesn't make sense since he would likely want his new team to be as good as possible, but there can't be any other explanation for it...unless this occurs after Boston signs other free agents and gets near (but not to) the cap.

Anyway, no reason to justify this - I completely agree, worst idea ever.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 10:47:30 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
I lost brain cells reading this.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 10:49:17 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Cant get mad at this article. Not everyone in the world has the common sense of a four year old.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 10:59:55 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Holy crap.
Exactly.  It makes no sense whatsoever.  Just sign him.

Wow. I clicked on this thread with low expectations but I think you are right. Pretty much the stupidest trade ever.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 11:00:55 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
DOES David Aldridge know something we don't know? Is Durant coming with Butler and Howard?

This has got to be the most ridiculously boneheaded trade idea I have seen, and yall know you have come up with some humdingers around here.

Aside from the fact already pointed out that we can outright just sign Horford, the trade does not make sense because it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much value going out for Horford.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 11:25:55 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 11:13:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
DOES David Aldridge know something we don't know? Is Durant coming with Butler and Howard?

This has got to be the most ridiculously bonehead trade idea I have seen, and yall know you have come up with some humdingers.

Aside from the fact already pointed out that we can outright just sign Horford, the trade does not make sense because it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much value going out for Horford.
It really is ridiculous.

I mean, the only thing I can semi envision is if Boston needs to renounce the rights of Amir and Jonas to free up another cap space to sign Horford.  In that scenario they can just renounce them both and sign Horford.  Problem solved.  But they could also just reach out to the Hawks and say, "Hey, we're getting Horford one way or the other, but we're willing to give you Amir and Jonas for free if you want to do a sign-and-trade."

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 11:15:56 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Objectively the stupidest, worst NBA trade idea published by a non-amateur ever.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.