Author Topic: Appears Durant Is Likely Returning to OKC, but Imagine Adding Howard...  (Read 1921 times)

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
The Cavs are tapped out in terms of salary cap, so it looks like they are going to head into 2016-2017 with pathetic depth (apparently their best option is to grossly overpay JR Smith and Delly since they have their Bird Rights). Add another year to an aging LeBron, and who knows if they will be able to repeat in the ECF next year? I mean, what are the odds of LeBron, Love and Kyrie all being healthy for the entire duration of next year's playoffs? If one of those takes a hit, they have no depth to move forward.

Meanwhile, we have a ton of depth and the possibility of adding a HUGE piece of the puzzle in Dwight Howard, someone who can finally clog up the paint against LeBron, make us a dominant rebounding team, and possibly push us into contention for top defense in the league.

Even if we lose out on Durant, I am thrilled if we add Howard and top off the roster with something like this (love the idea of one year deals for Johnson, Jerebko and Zeller since we would have a chunk of change in next year's free agency):

1: Thomas
2: Bradley
3: Crowder
4: Johnson
5: Howard

6th Man: Smart

Bench: Brown, Olynyk, Jerebko, Zeller, Zizic, Yabasule, Mickey, Rozier, Jackson (hopefully trade Young and Hunter for a second-round pick, but not the end of the world if we cut them)

Now tell me you cannot imagine that team making a run at a championship...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:31:24 PM by meangreenmachine »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Where's the report that Durant is likely heading back to OKC? This is like a click bait title...

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
Where's the report that Durant is likely heading back to OKC? This is like a click bait title...

ESPN Twitter Feed:

.@MarcJSpearsESPN reporting Kevin Durant's free agency decision is already "90 percent made" es.pn/29bBmJ2 pic.twitter.com/X9H25wDN9N

One of Kevin Durant's longtime friends said, "His decision is 90 percent made" to return to OKC for another year. es.pn/296PzUX

https://theundefeated.com/features/expect-a-happy-ending-for-okc-in-durants-free-agent-drama/

Click bait? I am not selling anything other than excitement about adding Howard. I am preparing myself to be let down by Durant, but we still have a shot at a solid Plan B with Howard...

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

ESPN Twitter Feed:

.@MarcJSpearsESPN reporting Kevin Durant's free agency decision is already "90 percent made" es.pn/29bBmJ2 pic.twitter.com/X9H25wDN9N

One of Kevin Durant's longtime friends said, "His decision is 90 percent made" to return to OKC for another year. es.pn/296PzUX

Let's actually see how our meeting goes before deeming him set to go back to OKC...

They scheduled another meeting for after the other meetings, so obviously he hasn't made any decision yet..

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I can't see that team challenging any of Cleveland, San Antonio, OKC, or Golden State. We'd be better, but not particularly close to being a contender.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
The Cavs are tapped out in terms of salary cap, so it looks like they are going to head into 2016-2017 with pathetic depth (apparently their best option is to grossly overpay JR Smith and Delly since they have their Bird Rights). Add another year to an aging LeBron, and who knows if they will be able to repeat in the ECF next year? I mean, what are the odds of LeBron, Love and Kyrie all being healthy for the entire duration of next year's playoffs? If one of those takes a hit, they have no depth to move forward.

Meanwhile, we have a ton of depth and the possibility of adding a HUGE piece of the puzzle in Dwight Howard, someone who can finally clog up the paint against LeBron, make us a dominant rebounding team, and possibly push us into contention for top defense in the league.

Even if we lose out on Durant, I am thrilled if we add Howard and top off the roster with something like this (love the idea of one year deals for Johnson, Jerebko and Zeller since we would have a chunk of change in next year's free agency):

1: Thomas
2: Bradley
3: Crowder
4: Johnson
5: Howard

6th Man: Smart

Bench: Brown, Olynyk, Jerebko, Zeller, Zizic, Yabasule, Mickey, Rozier, Jackson (hopefully trade Young and Hunter for a second-round pick, but not the end of the world if we cut them)

Now tell me you cannot imagine that team making a run at a championship...

2 things:

1) I think you win maybe 5 more games and have a second round exit, if you sneak into the ECF Lebron will murder that team.
2) You can save yourself typing time by just saying "add Dwight to the team we already have". Bingo.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
That team is not winning a title but the conference finals would be a definite possibility.

That team would be, however, just two good moves or one great one away from being a title contender.  We could easily have a dominating half court defense with Howard.  Add someone like Heyward or Gallinari to that and have any of our young talent take a big step forward and they sky's the limit.

Mike

Offline loqo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Well if there is 90% that he is going to stay that probably means 50/50. 1% means there are some issues and he probably wouldn't be talking with other FIVE teams. they could resolve those "problems" with ibaka for oladipo trade and maybe signing horford but again... 50-50% , so DA and crew need to do some magic and convince him to join us,  suit up DA and finally bring superstar that franchise like Boston need and start our new era with him!

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I can't see that team challenging any of Cleveland, San Antonio, OKC, or Golden State. We'd be better, but not particularly close to being a contender.
Yeah with that many rookies and second year players on the roster(6) its pretty hard to see that team contending. Contenders are not made up with half the roster being 3rd year or less players.

Just one injury to a major player forces super young players into roles in the playoffs they just arent ready for, and that is if the team actually makes the playoffs if that injury is season ending early enough
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:07:24 PM by nickagneta »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'll take my chances at the ECF.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
For some reason I get this feeling Durant would only leave to go east.  He likes those people in OKC so much I can't see him feeling good about beating them in the western playoffs year after year.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I didn't realize the meetings were over already.

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
For some reason I get this feeling Durant would only leave to go east.  He likes those people in OKC so much I can't see him feeling good about beating them in the western playoffs year after year.

Good point and I agree. On a different reasoning..the only 2 teams that actually makes KD the face of its franchise is Boston and OKC.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I didn't realize the meetings were over already.

Aren't the majority of signings typically done within 10-30 seconds after midnight, though, lol?

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford

Good point and I agree. On a different reasoning..the only 2 teams that actually makes KD the face of its franchise is Boston and OKC.

This is a very valid point. I would add the Heat if Miami has some sort of plan to part with Bosh and Wade. Even SA has two stars in Alridge and Leonard, not to mention HOFer Duncan who would presumably return for one more year if Durant joins.