Author Topic: How Would You All Feel Getting Howard+Horford This Offseason (No Durant)?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
1. We don't get Durant
2. We sign Howard to something like a 1+1 (2 Years/~40M, Team Option 2nd Year)
3. We sign Horford to the 4 year max

How would you guys feel about that? It's definitely a huge improvement from last season and definitely gets us past 50 wins this season.

Also would we have any cap space remaining after signing these two this year or even next year when we make our pitch to Durant next off season (2017)?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It would definitely make us better.  Horford added some 3-point range last season so he could play PF.   We'd be able to go small  (Thomas, Bradley, Brown, Crowder, Horford) or large (Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Horford, Howard). 

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I would be intrigued but wary.

I don't like the fit of Howard/Horford. And I'd also be scared of how much Dwight's contract would be.

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Was thinking about this exact scenario last night....then I heard Tim Welsh say EVERYONE Hates Dwight Howard.

I'll take Horford and the next best shooter on the board....No to Howard.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
We're a title contender. Both OKC and Cleveland showed that there are ways that you can expose small ball by staying big and dominating the boards.

I actually that team would be a good bet to beat Cleveland with their size and versatility for small ball.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I don't like the fit of Howard/Horford. And I'd also be scared of how much Dwight's contract would be.

I honestly think some team will overpay dearly for him. Hope it's not Ainge.

I have heard reports though that Howard is ultimately deciding between ATL and BOS now.

Might make sense since the T-Blazers and Mavericks are focusing their attention more to Whiteside now.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
If we sign Horford to the 4 year max, then Howard around 20-25M/Year, how much cap space do we have left approximately?

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Dwight's contract is a concern, but if you could get him to do the 1 + 1 deal you almost have to do it, if no KD that is.

And Horford's range greatly expanded this year, so he'd still provide space for Howard down low and IT driving. He's also still mobile enough to guard quicker 4's.

We'd easily be the best defensive team in the league, and we'd have a shot at being a historically good/efficient defense with that lineup, too.

It'd be back to the 2008 Big 3 style of winning games in the 80's! ;D

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Was thinking about this exact scenario last night....then I heard Tim Welsh say EVERYONE Hates Dwight Howard.

Seems fair. I heard Chris Mannix say yesterday that he would definitely get Howard at the right price lol. Everyone seems 50/50 on Howard.

Who would be the "next best shooter" on the board? Parsons?

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I still believe we need another shooter so IT is not double teamed at the end of the games. We cannot beat Cleveland in 7 games without 2 strong scoring threats. It might get us into the 2nd round though with chance to get to conference finals assuming Bradley does not get injured again. Both Howard and Horford will not help us hit game winners at the end of playoff games but they would help us get towards 55 wins for the season.

What would be our cap situation going into 2017 free agency? I guess with the Howard 1 year plus deal, we could dump Howard and than target a shooter next year or hope one of our Nets picks turns into gold. If Howard turns into gold for us, we could than get aggressive with a Nets pick and parts for potential shooter to join us via trades as well.

Although IT proved he could take over a game at the end, he is not able to do that for 4 wins vs. a tough opponent when the other team is keying on him with doubles.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
We're a title contender. Both OKC and Cleveland showed that there are ways that you can expose small ball by staying big and dominating the boards.

I actually that team would be a good bet to beat Cleveland with their size and versatility for small ball.

I like the defensive aspect and the rebounding aspect as well, but I still think shooting needs to get better. As the playoffs showed us, you need to shoot well in general to win games.

We have IT, and Horford>Sully, but I hope someone else emerges as a potential go-to scorer alongside IT and Horford. Looking at Bradley and Howard in this scenerio.

I know Howard isn't the 22/14 guy he was 5 years ago but if he can give us something like 16/13 production I would be more than happy. Also Horford can rebound efficiently as well (averaged 7 rebounds a game last season).

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I still believe we need another shooter so IT is not double teamed at the end of the games. We cannot beat Cleveland in 7 games without 2 strong scoring threats. It might get us into the 2nd round though with chance to get to conference finals assuming Bradley does not get injured again. Both Howard and Horford will not help us hit game winners at the end of playoff games but they would help us get towards 55 wins for the season.

What would be our cap situation going into 2017 free agency? I guess with the Howard 1 year plus deal, we could dump Howard and than target a shooter next year or hope one of our Nets picks turns into gold. If Howard turns into gold for us, we could than get aggressive with a Nets pick and parts for potential shooter to join us via trades as well.

Although IT proved he could take over a game at the end, he is not able to do that for 4 wins vs. a tough opponent when the other team is keying on him with doubles.

I'm just not sure if we could find that shooter in FA. Outside of guys like Durant and DeRozan, there aren't many options left and the ones that are, are mostly injury-risks who would want a big contract (like Parsons).

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I like the defensive aspect and the rebounding aspect as well, but I still think shooting needs to get better. As the playoffs showed us, you need to shoot well in general to win games.

We have IT, and Horford>Sully, but I hope someone else emerges as a potential go-to scorer alongside IT and Horford. Looking at Bradley and Howard in this scenerio.

I know Howard isn't the 22/14 guy he was 5 years ago but if he can give us something like 16/13 production I would be more than happy. Also Horford can rebound efficiently as well (averaged 7 rebounds a game last season).

Something like a Butler trade could still very well happen. However, the upgrades in offense from both Horford and Howard would definitely help IT.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Something like a Butler trade could still very well happen. However, the upgrades in offense from both Horford and Howard would definitely help IT.

Better than nothing, I suppose. I like Horford. I don't like Howard at all, especially his price tag.

To quote the oft-used Ainge defense line: "Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make."
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

This is precisely the direction I lean. We have not upgraded our primary weakness at all - shooting - and Howard does not do that.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."