Author Topic: If Demetrius Jackson is legit, the Cs should trade Smart for a big  (Read 5171 times)

Re: If Demetrius Jackson is legit, the Cs should trade Smart for a big
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 01:04:15 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I would have no problem trading Smart in a good trade.  Noel or Okafor for example would be potentially good targets.  But Demetrius Jackson has nothing to do with that.  We don't even know if Jackson will be as good as Phil Pressey.  I think Rozier could handle back-up PG  if we traded Smart.  If we can get a good young big for Smart, let's do it.

I think you're ignoring the title of the thread. If the Celtics think Jackson is a Pressey level player, they're unlikely to sign him to their roster at all.

However, I seriously doubt this. Jackson is a completely different kind of player.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 01:20:02 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

I agree that his defense is special. But i think it's only fair to admit that his offense is also special -- in a bad way. Yes his shooting in poor, but so is his penetration / ability to draw fouls. And it's just really really hard to play 4 on 5 on offense in today's NBA.

There's a lot of love for Smart... understandably so... mostly IMO because folks identify with his grit and attitude. I just don't really buy it translates into the impact on the floor that others do.

I'm not saying I want to trade Smart. I am saying that IF his value around the league is stronger that you suggest, I think there's some logic behind him being the one that gets moved, assuming it lands us a significant upgrade at the 4 or 5.

If we are talking a player of a Cousins or Griffin caliber I wouldn't say no because Smart was in the deal.  But I really do think he is going to be an All Star player so I do that valuing him quite a bit in any deal.  But as you said, maybe some value him higher than I seem to think he is valued.

I do think his defense does a lot on the floor (as I said I think he is our best defender) and I think he is better as a passer for example than he gets credit (and he can do more this year if he is given a real PG role, I hope that happens).  I think he has tried to really be a SG too much in his first couple years because he thinks he can make an impact there.  I hope he settles down into a PG role.  I trust that he is working on his shooting and will get better.

Its not Smarts Call whether he plays PG or SG - its CBS..  They want him on the floor because of his Defense. He can play with IT or Bradley..  They are forcing him to be versatile..  Of course this is no Excuse, you have to perform when your number is called but as a knowledgeable fan we have to take this into consideration.. He is learning 2 NBA Positions at once. Its effecting his growth in certain areas right now but when he puts it all together there will be no limits to what this kid can achieve for this team.

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Turner is gone, then we don't really have the option to deal Smart. I am a big Rozier fan, but he is already set to get a lot more minutes this year with Turner's departure. That leaves spot minutes for Jackson and RJ right now, but it's not like our guard rotation is in the iron-man mold. One of them might be forced to play more minutes than expected, as is. With Smart gone, Rozier would be the only viable back-up - that's rough.

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 01:25:05 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Its not Smarts Call whether he plays PG or SG - its CBS..  They want him on the floor because of his Defense. He can play with IT or Bradley..  They are forcing him to be versatile..  Of course this is no Excuse, you have to perform when your number is called but as a knowledgeable fan we have to take this into consideration.. He is learning 2 NBA Positions at once. Its effecting his growth in certain areas right now but when he puts it all together there will be no limits to what this kid can achieve for this team.

Yeah I agree with you.  I hope next year Turner leaves and Smart can get to be a PG some.  I think he needs to get thrown into that more.  It's the area he has shown the most promise on offense for sure.  As I said, I think he makes some really nice passes.

I get why Stevens wanted Turner over him there as kind of the back up PG (Turner was good for us) but I think Smart is ready and needs to in order to develop.

Make no mistake: the shooting has been really bad.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 02:25:31 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I'm pretty shocked Jackson made it to the 45th pick. I think the guy could be a starting PG in the league.

That said, if the Cs like what they see from him, one guard has to go. I think the player with the best external value vs. internal value / need of the group is Smart. With Brown's likely ability to guard bigger 2s and 3s, combined with the defensive abilities of Bradley, Rozier, Crowder, and Jerebko, I just don't know how much defensive firepower the Cs lose by shipping Smart.

Here are some of the deals I can see:

1) Smart for Noel. Cs might have to throw in another dash of sugar. But if the Cs strike out on Durant, and legitimately dont see the ability to sign him next summer either, I pull the trigger and live with Noel's RFA next summer.

2) Acquire John Henson. Smart is too much for Henson, but there should be a three team deal that can be found where the Cs could net Henson and another good piece. I'd also be very tempted by a Amir / Crowder / Smart for Middleton / Henson / 1st Round Pick deal, but I assume folks around here will spit red over that.

3) Smart for Jusuf Nurkic: I'm not sure how strong of a fit for Stevens' system he is, but Boston fans would absolutely love Nurkic.

4) Smart / Crowder / Olynyk / Lower of Cs 2018 1sts for Blake Griffin: Long shot, but worth exploring.

5) Smart / Crowder / Olynyk / a 1st for Mark Gasol: If the Grizz aren't rebuilding, they're nuts. They won't do this deal, but they should.

Smart for Jokic would be nice.

Overall I agree that Jackson could force our hand a bit.  We will have to wait and see how he plays, but I think trading a guard for a big would make a lot of sense for Boston.

Henson has always been of interest to me.

I don't think we can get Jokic for Smart. Jokic is going to be the best player from that draft class, including Wiggins and Parker, with the possible exception of Embiid.

Jokic is not better than Wiggins. That is just Loco.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 02:30:53 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Trade Bradley instead.

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 03:06:46 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'm pretty shocked Jackson made it to the 45th pick. I think the guy could be a starting PG in the league.

That said, if the Cs like what they see from him, one guard has to go. I think the player with the best external value vs. internal value / need of the group is Smart. With Brown's likely ability to guard bigger 2s and 3s, combined with the defensive abilities of Bradley, Rozier, Crowder, and Jerebko, I just don't know how much defensive firepower the Cs lose by shipping Smart.

Here are some of the deals I can see:

1) Smart for Noel. Cs might have to throw in another dash of sugar. But if the Cs strike out on Durant, and legitimately dont see the ability to sign him next summer either, I pull the trigger and live with Noel's RFA next summer.

2) Acquire John Henson. Smart is too much for Henson, but there should be a three team deal that can be found where the Cs could net Henson and another good piece. I'd also be very tempted by a Amir / Crowder / Smart for Middleton / Henson / 1st Round Pick deal, but I assume folks around here will spit red over that.

3) Smart for Jusuf Nurkic: I'm not sure how strong of a fit for Stevens' system he is, but Boston fans would absolutely love Nurkic.

4) Smart / Crowder / Olynyk / Lower of Cs 2018 1sts for Blake Griffin: Long shot, but worth exploring.

5) Smart / Crowder / Olynyk / a 1st for Mark Gasol: If the Grizz aren't rebuilding, they're nuts. They won't do this deal, but they should.

Smart for Jokic would be nice.

Overall I agree that Jackson could force our hand a bit.  We will have to wait and see how he plays, but I think trading a guard for a big would make a lot of sense for Boston.

Henson has always been of interest to me.

I don't think we can get Jokic for Smart. Jokic is going to be the best player from that draft class, including Wiggins and Parker, with the possible exception of Embiid.

Jokic is not better than Wiggins. That is just Loco.

Well, here's the advanced stats for each player. Can you guess which is which?

.069WS/40, -2.1BPM, -.1VORP
.185WS/40, +4.8BPM, +3.0VORP

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 03:24:37 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Whatever. I think the point is moot, considering the Cs can't hope to get either for Smart.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)