Author Topic: If Demetrius Jackson is legit, the Cs should trade Smart for a big  (Read 5172 times)

Re: If Demetrius Jackson is legit, the Cs should trade Smart for a big
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Lets wait and see how Demetrius is going to fare in the NBA, before bringing up all these trade talks ::). If he was that good then he wouldn't have slipped all the way down to #45.

THIS. He hasn't even practiced yet. Come on y'all.

I also have doubts that we could get a player of any significance for Smart.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 11:58:40 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Have we seen Jackson play an Nba game?

Of course not. But the point is not that Jackson comes in and becomes Marcus Smart. If the Celtics believe Rozier, and to a lesser degree Jackson (who they'd then want to sign right now), are ready to play NBA minutes, I just don't see a tremendous drop off in their defensive efficiency. And I just don't see how the Cs can carry Thomas, Smart, Bradley, Rozier, Hunter, and Jackson on the same team. Maybe they will, but I'd prefer they don't.

If Smart doesn't improve offensively this year, his value will begin to drop off. To me, he represents the most obvious chip to move in an effort to get a starter quality big this summer. In other words, there's risk in banking on Rozier and / or Jackson, but there's also risk in keeping Smart.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 12:00:51 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Jackson IS legit.  So is Smart.  We finally have a guy that can play WITH Smart.  Jackson gets after it on defense.  He's very mature and a good floor general.  He's a solid jump shooter and an amazing athlete.  He fills in all the gaps left by Smart.  Play them together.  Trade anyone else.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Jackson IS legit.  So is Smart.  We finally have a guy that can play WITH Smart.  Jackson gets after it on defense.  He's very mature and a good floor general.  He's a solid jump shooter and an amazing athlete.  He fills in all the gaps left by Smart.  Play them together.  Trade anyone else.
They do seem to fit quite well together.

watched a lot of ND this year and Im not sure the bold is entirely true. The offense ND ran might be to blame, but they really had a stagnant offense where they would either run pick and roll (which Demetrius runs really well) or a really simple motion play that a high school team might run. Demetrius was not asked to do much in terms of running an offense.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 12:05:48 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'm quite interested in moving Smart for a big, but I seriously doubt that anyone Ainge drafted in his draft-night stupor is going to be "legit" beyond maybe Brown if someone can figure out how to help him score on anyone who's not a child.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 12:12:13 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm quite interested in moving Smart for a big, but I seriously doubt that anyone Ainge drafted in his draft-night stupor is going to be "legit" beyond maybe Brown if someone can figure out how to help him score on anyone who's not a child.

At least he can dominate people half his age, unlike Thon Maker
I'm bitter.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 12:14:15 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think it would be a mistake.  Smart is going to keep getting better on offense and I think his defense is very underrated at this point in his career on a league wide level.  It's hard to get value for a PG right now.  I think Smart is going to make some big strides and hope he's around for a while on this team.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I think it would be a mistake.  Smart is going to keep getting better on offense and I think his defense is very underrated at this point in his career on a league wide level.  It's hard to get value for a PG right now.  I think Smart is going to make some big strides and hope he's around for a while on this team.

I was under the impression its a heavily PG driven league these days. Is your point that most teams have one that's better than Smart?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 12:22:36 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I guess my question here is: what are the Cs losing when Smart leaves? The Cs have a 1st team All NBA defender at the 2 already.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 12:30:22 PM »

Offline Croc Hunter

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
I prefer Rozier over Smart already anyway.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

I guess my question here is: what are the Cs losing when Smart leaves? The Cs have a 1st team All NBA defender at the 2 already.
Bradley is demon pressuring guards but is not as effective against length once the ball crosses half court..   Not taking anything away from him because I absolutely love the guy.
When Milsap was murdering us down low, you would not put Bradley on him..   You Put Smart on him and you got results.
We are a strong small ball team - our entire draft was basically guys who can play small ball.. 
Smart is an X factor for the way CBS runs small lineups.

You guys are throwing the the guy away because of just 2 seasons of poor offense. Ignoring that he is one of the best in the business on 1 side of the ball. The other side will improve.

Smart is a different kind of defender, able to guard just about anybody on the floor (hell Brad even had him on Porzingis in NY).. in my opinion Marcus is more valuable on that end of the floor than anybody on the team.. Bradley included.

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

I was under the impression its a heavily PG driven league these days. Is your point that most teams have one that's better than Smart?

I think Smart's defense is so good that he is a very useful player even with his shooting numbers.  I think a lot of people seem to leave it at his shooting with him when I hear about him from some people around the league.   I think he has potential as a PG (he can pass and run the pick and roll) and he works hard and should keep getting better as a shooter.  I think a lot of his defense.  I think he is better than Bradley there even though Bradley made First Team All NBA.

It's all about value.  If I was some other team I would trade for Smart because I think he can be a star player if he improves his offense.  His defense is so strong for such a young player.  I can't say what exactly other teams would think was fair value for Smart but all the stuff I've seen discussed is a low ball offer for what I think of him.

For me, what Smart can bring on defense you can't really replace and I think his offense will keep getting better.  Right now around the league I think PG is actually more replaceable because there are a lot of guys that can come in and do a pretty decent job as a PG on offense.  It's why Teague was traded for not that great of a pick and why PGs fell so far in the draft. 

I don't think there are guys that can defend, match up physically with, and play as hard as Smart at his position that can be brought in relatively easily.  He is special there.  I feel he works too hard not to keep getting better on offense.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:57:47 PM by Snakehead »

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 12:57:11 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I think Smart's defense is so good that he is a very useful player even with his shooting numbers.  I think a lot of people seem to leave it at his shooting with him when I hear about him from some people around the league.   I think he has potential as a PG (he can pass and run the pick and roll) and he works hard and should keep getting better as a shooter.

It's all about value.  If I was some other team I would trade for Smart because I think he can be a star player if he improves his offense.  His defense is so strong for such a young player.  I can't say what exactly other teams would think was fair value for Smart but all the stuff I've seen discussed is a low ball offer for what I think of him.

For me, what Smart can bring on defense you can't really replace and I think his offense will keep getting better.  Right now around the league I think PG is actually more replaceable because there are a lot of guys that can come in and do a pretty decent job as a PG on offense.  It's why Teague was traded for not that great of a pick and why PGs fell so far in the draft. 

I don't think there are guys that can defend, match up physically with, and play as hard as Smart at his position that can be brought in relatively easily.  He is special there.  I feel he works too hard not to keep getting better on offense.

I agree that his defense is special. But i think it's only fair to admit that his offense is also special -- in a bad way. Yes his shooting in poor, but so is his penetration / ability to draw fouls. And it's just really really hard to play 4 on 5 on offense in today's NBA.

There's a lot of love for Smart... understandably so... mostly IMO because folks identify with his grit and attitude. I just don't really buy it translates into the impact on the floor that others do.

I'm not saying I want to trade Smart. I am saying that IF his value around the league is stronger that you suggest, I think there's some logic behind him being the one that gets moved, assuming it lands us a significant upgrade at the 4 or 5.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would have no problem trading Smart in a good trade.  Noel or Okafor for example would be potentially good targets.  But Demetrius Jackson has nothing to do with that.  We don't even know if Jackson will be as good as Phil Pressey.  I think Rozier could handle back-up PG  if we traded Smart.  If we can get a good young big for Smart, let's do it.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 01:02:31 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

I agree that his defense is special. But i think it's only fair to admit that his offense is also special -- in a bad way. Yes his shooting in poor, but so is his penetration / ability to draw fouls. And it's just really really hard to play 4 on 5 on offense in today's NBA.

There's a lot of love for Smart... understandably so... mostly IMO because folks identify with his grit and attitude. I just don't really buy it translates into the impact on the floor that others do.

I'm not saying I want to trade Smart. I am saying that IF his value around the league is stronger that you suggest, I think there's some logic behind him being the one that gets moved, assuming it lands us a significant upgrade at the 4 or 5.

If we are talking a player of a Cousins or Griffin caliber I wouldn't say no because Smart was in the deal.  But I really do think he is going to be an All Star player so I do that valuing him quite a bit in any deal.  But as you said, maybe some value him higher than I seem to think he is valued.

I do think his defense does a lot on the floor (as I said I think he is our best defender) and I think he is better as a passer for example than he gets credit (and he can do more this year if he is given a real PG role, I hope that happens).  I think he has tried to really be a SG too much in his first couple years because he thinks he can make an impact there.  I hope he settles down into a PG role.  I trust that he is working on his shooting and will get better.