Author Topic: If Demetrius Jackson is legit, the Cs should trade Smart for a big  (Read 5174 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'm pretty shocked Jackson made it to the 45th pick. I think the guy could be a starting PG in the league.

That said, if the Cs like what they see from him, one guard has to go. I think the player with the best external value vs. internal value / need of the group is Smart. With Brown's likely ability to guard bigger 2s and 3s, combined with the defensive abilities of Bradley, Rozier, Crowder, and Jerebko, I just don't know how much defensive firepower the Cs lose by shipping Smart.

Here are some of the deals I can see:

1) Smart for Noel. Cs might have to throw in another dash of sugar. But if the Cs strike out on Durant, and legitimately dont see the ability to sign him next summer either, I pull the trigger and live with Noel's RFA next summer.

2) Acquire John Henson. Smart is too much for Henson, but there should be a three team deal that can be found where the Cs could net Henson and another good piece. I'd also be very tempted by a Amir / Crowder / Smart for Middleton / Henson / 1st Round Pick deal, but I assume folks around here will spit red over that.

3) Smart for Jusuf Nurkic: I'm not sure how strong of a fit for Stevens' system he is, but Boston fans would absolutely love Nurkic.

4) Smart / Crowder / Olynyk / Lower of Cs 2018 1sts for Blake Griffin: Long shot, but worth exploring.

5) Smart / Crowder / Olynyk / a 1st for Mark Gasol: If the Grizz aren't rebuilding, they're nuts. They won't do this deal, but they should.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: If Demetrius Jackson is legit, the Cs should trade Smart for a big
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 10:22:19 AM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I'm pretty shocked Jackson made it to the 45th pick. I think the guy could be a starting PG in the league.

That said, if the Cs like what they see from him, one guard has to go. I think the player with the best external value vs. internal value / need of the group is Smart. With Brown's likely ability to guard bigger 2s and 3s, combined with the defensive abilities of Bradley, Rozier, Crowder, and Jerebko, I just don't know how much defensive firepower the Cs lose by shipping Smart.

1) Smart for Noel. Cs might have to throw in another dash of sugar. But if the Cs strike out on Durant, and legitimately dont see the ability to sign him next summer either, I pull the trigger and live with Noel's RFA next summer.

2) Acquire John Henson. Smart is too much for Henson, but there should be a three team deal that can be found where the Cs could net Henson and another good piece. I'd also be very tempted by a Amir / Crowder / Smart for Middleton / Henson / 1st Round Pick deal, but I assume folks around here will spit red over that.

3) Smart for Jusuf Nurkic: I'm not sure how strong of a fit for Stevens' system he is, but Boston fans would absolutely love Nurkic.

4) Smart / Crowder / Olynyk / Lower of Cs 2018 1sts for Blake Griffin: Long shot, but worth exploring.

5) Smart / Crowder / Olynyk / a 1st for Mark Gasol: If the Grizz aren't rebuilding, they're nuts. They won't do this deal, but they should.

Smart for Jokic would be nice.

Overall I agree that Jackson could force our hand a bit.  We will have to wait and see how he plays, but I think trading a guard for a big would make a lot of sense for Boston.

Henson has always been of interest to me.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:24:49 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I don't think that's realistic. I think the Cs could hope to land Nurkic, but not Jokic.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:38:17 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Overall I agree that Jackson could force our hand a bit.  We will have to wait and see how he plays, but I think trading a guard for a big would make a lot of sense for Boston.

Henson has always been of interest to me.

I don't think we can get Jokic for Smart. Jokic is going to be the best player from that draft class, including Wiggins and Parker, with the possible exception of Embiid.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
3, 4 and 5 are reasonable.

Since I think trading Smart is buying low, I wouldn't want to do one or two.

Something tells me that with Saric coming over, Noel could be had for less than Smart.

If Jackson proves to be as good as I hope, I would be fine seeing what we could get for Rozier and a pick.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 10:49:32 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Really depends on on the step Rozier takes this season.  Is he ready to be that defensive guard off the bench.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 10:51:24 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Smart is a combo Guard who can guard 3 and sometimes 4 positions at an Elite Level..   IF Jackson, a pure point at 6'1 turns out to be what you guys say he is, then you move Rozier and/or Bradley..   
Smart is too valuable to what we do on both sides of the ball.. 

Each of the 5 given Scenarios works with Bradley as well..

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 10:56:51 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
I wouldn't trade Smart for almost anyone.  He will be a superstar in this league. What he does not many people can do. He is exactly the grit that keeps this team moving.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 10:57:53 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Smart is a combo Guard who can guard 3 and sometimes 4 positions at an Elite Level..   IF Jackson, a pure point at 6'1 turns out to be what you guys say he is, then you move Rozier and/or Bradley..   
Smart is too valuable to what we do on both sides of the ball.. 

Each of the 5 given Scenarios works with Bradley as well..
Beat me to it.  Smart is a combo guard, great defender, good offensive handle, room to improve on offense.
Bradley, shooting guard, very good defender, room to improve on ball handling, one of our better outside shooters.
Rozier, point guard, showed lots to me as a rookie last year on every aspect of being a young nba pg.  I'd start with him vs Jackson and go from there.  I'd like to get Noel on team, not for one year rental mind you, but I think he can be got for less than smart

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 11:14:44 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I don't think that the other teams would agree to 3,4,5. Options 1 or 2 seem reasonable, trading a perimeter defender who can't shoot for an interior defender who can't shoot. If all things were equal, I prefer Noel to Henson but Henson is locked up to at least 2019-2020 at a reasonable $10 million per year while Noel will have a huge payday at the end of next season.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 11:14:57 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Really depends on on the step Rozier takes this season.  Is he ready to be that defensive guard off the bench.
well, this is similar to my question. are we now saying, before jackson even sets foot on an nba court, that he has made smart expendable? are we now saying that jackson beats out rozier as a pg for the celtics?

every GM in the nba had some reason for NOT picking jackson. now he may turn out to be a good nba player, but let's wait and see.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Have we seen Jackson play an Nba game?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 11:34:15 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Have we seen Jackson play an Nba game?

Yes, but a few years back now. 2013 in Ottawa, Canada, I believe. He played a solid all-around game - I saw him shoot the ball at the goal, he passed it to teammates. He wore shorts and a jersey with sneakers. And iirc, he was situated on the defensive end about 50% of the time, and played offense the other 50% or so -- I was most impressed by that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 11:41:03 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 11:39:42 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Lets wait and see how Demetrius is going to fare in the NBA, before bringing up all these trade talks ::). If he was that good then he wouldn't have slipped all the way down to #45.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 11:51:54 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Lets wait and see how Demetrius is going to fare in the NBA, before bringing up all these trade talks ::). If he was that good then he wouldn't have slipped all the way down to #45.

Agreed. I should also mention that Jackson pairs well with a big PG who defends multiple positions like Smart; like AB, he is more of an undersized 3+D SG than a PG. If he plays well, it's Rozier who we'll be looking to trade, not Smart.