Author Topic: Is Anyone Else Generally Concerned about these upcoming Olympics  (Read 1392 times)

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
The more I read about Rio, the more I worry about these great basketball players and athletes partaking in general. I can see why so many of these players opted out other than just the Zika Virus.

Re: Is Anyone Else Generally Concerned about these upcoming Olympics
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 09:09:42 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I do like seeing the USA team come together and play, but I'm generally anti-Olympics in general these days.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I do like seeing the USA team come together and play, but I'm generally anti-Olympics in general these days.
Me too, I've pretty much soured on both summer and winter Olympics.

Other than KD, Team USA is missing many key players (e.g., LeBron, Curry).

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Heard a biologist speak on NPR a few month's back that the Rio Olympics are an unprecedented chance of spreading a global pandemic.

Zika is no joke and flying in thousands of people from across the world to potentially contract it and take it home with them is extremely irresponsible and could potentially become a catastrophe.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 10:07:24 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Heard a biologist speak on NPR a few month's back that the Rio Olympics are an unprecedented chance of spreading a global pandemic.

Zika is no joke and flying in thousands of people from across the world to potentially contract it and take it home with them is extremely irresponsible and could potentially become a catastrophe.

Yeah I'm pretty concerned about this. It's exactly why these events have been canceled in the past.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Yeah I'm pretty concerned about this. It's exactly why these events have been canceled in the past.

I can`r remember of any major sport event being canceled for public health reasons .... it sure looks like though it`s time to start doing that

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 10:14:15 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I strongly agree that the event should be cancelled. At the very least, the Olympic committee must spare no expense to keep Rio mosquito-free during the event.

There is a 100% that there will be babies born with microcephaly as a direct result of the Olympics.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 10:48:24 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Not at all.

As a European, the word is excited  :P

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 11:00:56 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Has their water situation been fixed yet?

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 11:07:07 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney

I can`r remember of any major sport event being canceled for public health reasons .... it sure looks like though it`s time to start doing that

I just looked into this the other day when I was trying to find out how often the Copa America had been played in the past and there were a few times that it was cancelled for reasons like this.

Of course that was before there were billions of dollars to be made.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 11:13:47 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
Here's a good article on it:

http://harvardpublichealthreview.org/off-the-podium-why-rios-2016-olympic-games-must-not-proceed/

It's a really bad idea to be moving forward with.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
And looking back on how humanity could have possibly let thousands of people from all around the globe fly into a region with a defunct government, failing public infrastructure, an uptick in crime, and a virus capable of infecting newborns with microcephaly, one attendee simply said, "Because sports are more important than our children."

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
And looking back on how humanity could have possibly let thousands of people from all around the globe fly into a region with a defunct government, failing public infrastructure, an uptick in crime, and a virus capable of infecting newborns with microcephaly, one attendee simply said, "Because sports are more important than our children."
oh, until you got to the "virus capable of infecting newborns" part, i thought you were referring to the US.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 11:23:39 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
oh, until you got to the "virus capable of infecting newborns" part, i thought you were referring to the US.  ;D

Yeah, well...That's like, you know, your opinion, man.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with the book Circus Maximus, but it does a few case studies and attempts to debunk the myth that hosting an Olympic Games or World Cup actually serves as a boost for one's economy.

I love sports, I mean I'm on a Celticsblog forum mid-day, but I get disgusted seeing the effect Olympic Games, stadium building, etc. has on the public. I read parts of the debate concerning building a stadium in Seattle recently, and I sided with the legislatures against it despite my sports-loving nature.

I don't know. Something about this Olympic Games still going on, despite "star athletes" backing out, is deplorable and serves as a tipping point for me.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 11:28:34 AM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
I'm more concerned about the uptick in crime tbh. I saw an article about body parts showing up on the shores of Rio. I know this happens in the states here and there too..but dang.