Author Topic: We don't have double max cap space EDIT: solved, ty The One and saltlover  (Read 6522 times)

Re: We don't have double max cap space
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 07:51:42 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Wasn't it always understood we would renounce some people?

Not worried about it until there's some concrete signal that two max signings will actually occur. There isn't at the moment.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 07:56:37 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Worse case scenario we give Young to a team.

I think that's a GREAT scenario.

We might give a second for that or a late 1st maybe. Who knows, Danny appears to get fleeced by other GMs since he had too many assets and picks accumulated.
But I agree, it's a great scenario, if that's happen.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 08:00:03 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
https://mobile.twitter.com/dangercart/status/746688480428855296/photo/1

Here's a breakdown by Ryan Bernardoni.  According to his analysis, there's 2 max space slots.

Didn't the Sundance Kid get shot in the end?

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 08:01:06 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

If we get Durant and Horford I think we do it anyway to clear some room for vets

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 08:26:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Wasn't it always understood we would renounce some people?

Not worried about it until there's some concrete signal that two max signings will actually occur. There isn't at the moment.
His point is you can't renounce people and create room for two max contracts.  You would have to trade actual players under fully guaranteed contracts to create enough room.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 08:27:04 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Hey Sundance:

Nice try on this, but you've miscalculated max salaries.  It's difficult to know what they'll exactly be, because there are some hidden numbers in the calculation.  But the biggest thing is that they aren't exactly 30% of the cap.  They are 30% of the cap if it were calculated slightly differently.  Here's a link to Larry Coon's site where it's explained slightly better -- he tweeted that the max would be $26.4 million, so we do have room for two.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 08:31:31 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Hey Sundance:

Nice try on this, but you've miscalculated max salaries.  It's difficult to know what they'll exactly be, because there are some hidden numbers in the calculation.  But the biggest thing is that they aren't exactly 30% of the cap.  They are 30% of the cap if it were calculated slightly differently.  Here's a link to Larry Coon's site where it's explained slightly better -- he tweeted that the max would be $26.4 million, so we do have room for two.

Yeah figured this out, it's calculated by a slightly smaller percentage of the BRi. Thanks to you and The One for clarifying.

On the twitter link The One posted there's a nice spreadsheet where you can put together your own roster for the Celts. Pretty nice tool. There isn't much wiggle room for us to fill out the roster after signing Durant and Horford but we'd have done the lion's share of the work already!

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 08:52:22 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Hey Sundance:

Yeah figured this out, it's calculated by a slightly smaller percentage of the BRi. Thanks to you and The One for clarifying.

On the twitter link The One posted there's a nice spreadsheet where you can put together your own roster for the Celts. Pretty nice tool. There isn't much wiggle room for us to fill out the roster after signing Durant and Horford but we'd have done the lion's share of the work already!

Great work Sundance and saltlover!

Now Danny...go and get those two!!   ;D

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

We might give a second for that or a late 1st maybe. Who knows, Danny appears to get fleeced by other GMs since he had too many assets and picks accumulated.
Excuse me, but when was this a common occurrence? Didn't we just suffer through threads that moaned and groaned, or conversely cheered and rejoiced, in Ainge being too tough a trader?

As for dumping young, didn't Ainge. Do something similar with fab melo? I think he stapled a second rounder to his back and shipped him off. No?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 09:20:40 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney

Excuse me, but when was this a common occurrence? Didn't we just suffer through threads that moaned and groaned, or conversely cheered and rejoiced, in Ainge being too tough a trader?

As for dumping young, didn't Ainge. Do something similar with fab melo? I think he stapled a second rounder to his back and shipped him off. No?

I just believe that the last 2 seasons, no GMs wanted to deal with Boston because they have too many picks and assets. They deal with other team instead and let Danny with his predicament of picks. It worked out for 2 seasons, we had to pick 4 players last season and 6 this season.
Danny had to lose a trade to get read of #31 & #35 which are great value pick. A late 1st is a much worse return.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 09:43:12 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Hey Sundance:

Bingo. The BRI figures to be between $88-89M this season. That is the number used when calculating max salaries.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 09:50:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I just believe that the last 2 seasons, no GMs wanted to deal with Boston because they have too many picks and assets. They deal with other team instead and let Danny with his predicament of picks. It worked out for 2 seasons, we had to pick 4 players last season and 6 this season.
Danny had to lose a trade to get read of #31 & #35 which are great value pick. A late 1st is a much worse return.

The last two seasons, the Celtics have made 14 trades.  Also, please wait to see how much Deyonta Davis is paid before calling #31 a great value pick.  I bet he gets paid more than the draft slot assigned to Ante Zizic.

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 09:58:44 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney

The last two seasons, the Celtics have made 14 trades.  Also, please wait to see how much Deyonta Davis is paid before calling #31 a great value pick.  I bet he gets paid more than the draft slot assigned to Ante Zizic.

And yet he had to pick 10 players in 2 drafts. I'm sure it's one of the worse scenario he envisioned.

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 10:03:48 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

And yet he had to pick 10 players in 2 drafts. I'm sure it's one of the worse scenario he envisioned.

When your worst-case scenario is to pick 5 first rounders and 5 second-rounders in two drafts, things are going okay.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 11:14:42 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Hey Sundance:

saltlover is the GOAT poster when it comes to contracts.