Author Topic: What affect do you think Bill Russell has on free agents?  (Read 5174 times)

What affect do you think Bill Russell has on free agents?
« on: June 29, 2016, 11:46:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The cynic in me says "None! This is like if you were a top free agent quarterback and you met with the Browns and they introduced you to Otto Graham, or at absolute best the Jets introduced you to Namath. Darn kids. They don't know their history. Get off my lawn."

The optimist in me remembers KG crying in his interview with Russell. The optimist in me says "look at all those banners." The optimist in me says "The MVP trophy is named after him and he's in every single top 5 player discussion."

It seems to me like on some level Russell definitely has some sort of affect. I think it may be partly because of his major black athlete identity, a little like Muhammed Ali. Kind of an anti-Wilt Chamberlain with a TON of rings.

It may not be exactly like meeting your own boyhood idol, but it's kinda like meeting your dad's and that's fun.

Re: What affect do you think Bill Russell has on free agents?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:51:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Didn't Russell crush the city back in the day. He always tells things as they are. So if he speaks well of this team players should really know he means it give the man's history.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 11:51:52 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think Russell is high profile enough that NBA players will always know who he is and revere him. As for his importance to recruiting: it'll matter to some guys. Guys like LeBron, who are very conscious of their places in history. Maybe KD will care, and maybe not, but I hope we can get Russ to chat with KD over the weekend.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 11:56:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Good points. I didn't think of these things. Maybe I underrated today's players on this

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 12:01:37 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
None

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 12:02:00 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Good points. I didn't think of these things. Maybe I underrated today's players on this

I think you might be; a lot of these guys really understand and appreciate the history of the game. For example, I saw a video of Brandon Ingram shortly before the draft, and he said he models his game after George Gervin.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 12:13:53 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
None

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 12:13:55 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
One of my few counterpoints would be that there don't seem to be tons of guys flocking to play for Jordan in Charlotte. Or Bird in Indiana.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 12:30:49 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Bill Russell has a huge impact on free agents decision due to his Finals MVP trophy.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 12:31:11 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
One of my few counterpoints would be that there don't seem to be tons of guys flocking to play for Jordan in Charlotte. Or Bird in Indiana.

I think this is apples and oranges. First off, Bird and Jordan did not play for their respective teams. Bird cannot tell a player how amazing it is to play in Indiana (even though he briefly coached there) or how the fans treat their players because he never experienced it. Jordan cannot sell someone on how awesome it was to win 6 rings in Charlotte because he didn't. To players, Bird is just another GM, and Jordan is just another guy to pay their contract.

On the other hand, Russell is not a front-office stiff with a dog in the fight. He is describing something that he experienced first-hand: the cultural implications of thriving as a professional athlete in the Boston area. That in itself is unique from a Bird or Jordan. At this point, Durant is probably not starstruck talking to past/present NBA stars: he is one. He has probably talked to Bill Russell before. However, Russell's opinion could be viewed as a valuable because he has knowledge about playing, and having unprecedented success, in Boston. In addition, Russell could tell KD how the city/organization has treated him through his retirement, for example how he is still revered, recognized, and celebrated by common fans and the Celtics organization. As a man that is known to have been (be?) pretty straightforward in his interviews, anything that he tells Durant would supposedly be true, and it would also be out of his love for Boston, as he is not from the area and has no financial stake in the matter.

Russell would be part of a multi-pronged attack. Stevens will deal with the basketball details, telling Durant how he would fit into the offense and how others would complement him. Ainge could lay out (pretty straightforward, with the C's cap space) methods to acquire players that Durant wants to play with. Wyc and Pags could point to precedents of being all-in financially to fielding the best team possible. IT and others could tell Durant what it's like to play in the Garden 41 games a year. And Russell and other legends could detail to Durant just what it's like to succeed in Boston, how the city reveres you and how the organization takes care of you for the rest of your life.

Durant's friends and family will be there in the meeting with him. The basketball and financial stuff would be for him. The emotional appeal and the certainty that their brother/son/cousin/friend would be welcomed and taken care of for the rest of his days would be for everyone else in Durant's corner. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:37:17 AM by GetLucky »

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 12:32:06 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Bill Russell has a huge impact on free agents decision due to his Finals MVP trophy.

Bill be like: "so Kevin, I'll be shaking your hand in June right? With you wearing green?"
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 12:59:06 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's ancient and not on the roster so I'd say he has very little effect.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 01:10:56 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
KD seem like the type that respect old school players a lot.  I may be wrong but he seems to be that type of guy.  Having (the greatest) Bill Russel sit across from him is a definite plus.  DWight  on the other hand seem like a dolt whether Bill is sitting across from him or not.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 01:20:22 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Bill Russell is equal to Jim Brown as far legend and cultural status. Most players would greatly give them the respect that they deserve. 

I'm not sure if jr smith would.

As far as free agency, im not sure it helps unless he is present.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 07:58:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Bill Russell is equal to Jim Brown as far legend and cultural status. Most players would greatly give them the respect that they deserve. 

I'm not sure if jr smith would.

As far as free agency, im not sure it helps unless he is present.
That would kind of be awesome if he was in the room when KD gets the offer. And he can be like "You are so blessed."  Bill should look him in the eye. Maybe Bill will see something we don't see.