Author Topic: What affect do you think Bill Russell has on free agents?  (Read 1202 times)

Re: What affect do you think Bill Russell has on free agents?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 08:58:36 AM »

Offline chambers

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 856
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
KD listed Bill Russell as one of his all time players he'd love to play with in their prime.

he is also a Larry Bird fan..

"Larry Bird is a guy I like watching," Durant said with a smile. "I watch film on him all the time. I like his approach to the game when he was playing. When I first started playing the game, my Godfather Taras Brown who taught me how to play he always was a Larry Bird guy, always used to look up his stats. Brown, nicknamed "Stink" was a trainer at a local gym, Seat Pleasant Recreation Center, just outside of Washington, D.C. where Durant grew up and was his coach there.

"So of course as I got older and started to watch NBATV, Legends games, and of course you hear the stories about the rivalries with him and the Lakers and him and Magic, so I like his competitiveness, how low-maintenance he was, how he just went out there and did his job. He played hard. He played for the love of the game, and that's what I've got."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/thunder/2012/12/05/kevin-durant-game-is-evolving-and-so-is-his-marketability/1748853/
'This is the Boston Celtics. We aren't about just making the playoffs,  or selling tickets. We are about NBA championships and there's an important legacy at stake here'.

-Danny Ainge

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 09:06:13 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 309
None.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 09:33:16 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 539
leagacy-stay in okc get a street and statue will never match the banners and legends of the greatest francise-next year westbrook is gone to LA -
go to san francisco and join curry,thompson,green and be part of the greatest team ever assembled or come to boston and build that team and become A legend
-russell cuts a truly great figure even today
-no street named after him but a MVP trophy and a imposing statue and a legacy and all those banners in the mecca of pro sports--russell can certainly talk about being a legacy and steer durant away from curry and gang and how to seperate from a pre made group

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 48

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 992
None.

Tell that to Kevin Garnett.
Garnett wasn't a free agent. And he didn't accept the trade because of Russell.
Managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 10:45:51 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 889
  • What a Pub Should Be
Little to none.   

None of these guys were alive when Russell played.  Heck, I'm guessing some of their parents weren't alive when Russell played.   So I think the aura about him, unfortunately, isn't as ingrained in their heads as someone who played more recently is.   They know he's a legend but they don't really have a connect with him since he played such a long time ago. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team