Author Topic: What affect do you think Bill Russell has on free agents?  (Read 5210 times)

Re: What affect do you think Bill Russell has on free agents?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 08:58:36 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
KD listed Bill Russell as one of his all time players he'd love to play with in their prime.

he is also a Larry Bird fan..

"Larry Bird is a guy I like watching," Durant said with a smile. "I watch film on him all the time. I like his approach to the game when he was playing. When I first started playing the game, my Godfather Taras Brown – who taught me how to play – he always was a Larry Bird guy, always used to look up his stats. Brown, nicknamed "Stink" was a trainer at a local gym, Seat Pleasant Recreation Center, just outside of Washington, D.C. where Durant grew up and was his coach there.

"So of course as I got older and started to watch NBATV, Legends games, and of course you hear the stories about the rivalries with him and the Lakers and him and Magic, so I like his competitiveness, how low-maintenance he was, how he just went out there and did his job. He played hard. He played for the love of the game, and that's what I've got."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/thunder/2012/12/05/kevin-durant-game-is-evolving-and-so-is-his-marketability/1748853/
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 09:06:13 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
None.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 09:33:16 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
leagacy-stay in okc get a street and statue will never match the banners and legends of the greatest francise-next year westbrook is gone to LA -
go to san francisco and join curry,thompson,green and be part of the greatest team ever assembled or come to boston and build that team and become A legend
-russell cuts a truly great figure even today
-no street named after him but a MVP trophy and a imposing statue and a legacy and all those banners in the mecca of pro sports--russell can certainly talk about being a legacy and steer durant away from curry and gang and how to seperate from a pre made group

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
None.

Tell that to Kevin Garnett.
Garnett wasn't a free agent. And he didn't accept the trade because of Russell.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 10:45:51 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Little to none.   

None of these guys were alive when Russell played.  Heck, I'm guessing some of their parents weren't alive when Russell played.   So I think the aura about him, unfortunately, isn't as ingrained in their heads as someone who played more recently is.   They know he's a legend but they don't really have a connect with him since he played such a long time ago. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team