Author Topic: The leaking of the Dwight Howard scheduled visit...  (Read 8072 times)

Re: The leaking of the Dwight Howard scheduled visit...
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 07:33:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Does not help us. No superstar wants to play with him. He is a diva and a locker room morale killer. I understand why we are meeting with him (plan b if we are unable to lure Horford) but this absolutely hurts us.

I agree he is a diva.  But he is a big time upgrade over Sullinger in both boards, FG% and blocked shots.

I fear we may well have to do plan B or C by the time the smoke settles.

I loathe Howard's body of work, and as that body of work stands, he will not help the Celtics.

But ... people do change. If he wants to work, and if he wants to realize he is no longer a front-line NBA star, and if he wants to contribute to a team instead of his incessant me, me, me nonsense, I would agree that he is worth a look.

We needed rim protection for years.   I think he would stagnate our offense a bit given his lack of range.  But he could absolutely anchor our defensive line and he is a upgrade of what we have had the last few years.  I think as it stands he would be better than Sullinger do your really think he wouldn't?

I doubt he has changed, part of me thinks we should not want him, too.   But I can see he would be a instant upgrade in our defense.  I just worry about the malcontent aspects.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 07:50:49 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Given our track record of taking disturbed or unhappy players and turn them into player of the week or simply re-launch their career, I'm not afraid of the impact of Howard in our locker room.
You are a vilain or a diva for a reason.
If there is stability and solid core chemistry, it is impossible do disrupt the movement.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 07:53:30 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Does not help us. No superstar wants to play with him. He is a diva and a locker room morale killer. I understand why we are meeting with him (plan b if we are unable to lure Horford) but this absolutely hurts us.

I agree he is a diva.  But he is a big time upgrade over Sullinger in both boards, FG% and blocked shots.

I loathe Howard's body of work, and as that body of work stands, he will not help the Celtics.

But ... people do change. If he wants to work, and if he wants to realize he is no longer a front-line NBA star, and if he wants to contribute to a team instead of his incessant me, me, me nonsense, I would agree that he is worth a look.

We needed rim protection for years.   I think he would stagnate our offense a bit given his lack of range.  But he could absolutely anchor our defensive line and he is a upgrade of what we have had the last few years.  I think as it stands he would be better than Sullinger do your really think he wouldn't?

I doubt he has changed, part of me thinks we should not want him, too.   But I can see he would be a instant upgrade in our defense.  I just worry about the malcontent aspects.

We had a chance to get rim protection at a cost far more minimal than what Howard will cost, and instead we drafted a clear project and a bunch of Euros who won't likely ever impact this team. I would FAR rather revisit a Noel trade than pay $20 million and up for Howard. Not. Even. Close.

If he changes ... certainly he's an improvement over Sullinger.

But he's also going to want a boatload of money, and I'm not interested in him merely as the token "See, we weren't lying about fireworks all these years" signing.

Dwight Howard, at best, is a sparkler. He's not fireworks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:58:38 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 07:56:32 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Howard wants years, prolly another $100M to end his career.  He also wants to be a major part of the offense.  Not a fit for the C's.

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 08:10:25 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Don't worry about it.  Dwight and his entourage will come into the room.  They are going to shake hands and exchange pleasantries.  They'll have a laugh about how Dwight reportedly was unwilling to be traded to the Celtics a few years ago.  They'll all sit down.  A helper will come out with a round of beverages and snacks.   Dwight's agent will comment that the cannolis are delightful and ask what flavor they are.  Wyc will say, "Oh those?  That's a pistachio cannoli from Mike's Pastry.  About a 10 minute walk from the TD Garden in the North End."   They'll talk about Italian food for a few minutes.  Eventually, someone will say, "Ok, let's get down to to business".   The room will quiet.  Ainge will lean back in his chair and give Dwight his offer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnmIoF_2Q4Y

Bruh.... Just pointing out ur not the first person to use that one here  ;)
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 08:23:37 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

We had a chance to get rim protection at a cost far more minimal than what Howard will cost, and instead we drafted a clear project and a bunch of Euros who won't likely ever impact this team. I would FAR rather revisit a Noel trade than pay $20 million and up for Howard. Not. Even. Close.

But he's also going to want a boatload of money, and I'm not interested in him merely as the token "See, we weren't lying about fireworks all these years" signing.

noels gonna be an rfa

What do you think he'd cost?

Plus we'd have to give up assets to get him
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 08:34:46 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
If we sign Dwight alone this offseason, I'd be impressed and happy for one simple reason: we got better.

All this talk about "diva", etc is ridiculous... most of these superstars are divas. KD has given us a list of players he wants to play with for us to supposedly go out and pick up at Walmart for him to consider us... isn't that diva-ish as well.

We were a 48-win team, with Sully/Amir at C. Even if you don't like Dwight, he is heads and shoulders better than what we have and him in the middle of our defense that is already top 5 is a nightmare for whoever we go against.

So what if we come out of this offseason without the "star" that everyone wants. I thought the underlying objective was to get better... signing Dwight unquestionably makes us better

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 08:43:09 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I wouldn't be concerned about stuff like that. The GMs are talking to the agents, and they pretty much know what players are OK and which ones aren't. They also probably know how much of a shot they have at every FA.

I think Horford or Howard will get signed. Howard is actually a better D rebounder, which they need badly. But Horford can play the 4 and shoot the 3, which they also need badly. That's why you'll see Ryan Anderson in a Celtics uniform unless Durant surprises everybody or Danny gives the kitchen sink for Butler.

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Don't worry about it.  Dwight and his entourage will come into the room.  They are going to shake hands and exchange pleasantries.  They'll have a laugh about how Dwight reportedly was unwilling to be traded to the Celtics a few years ago.  They'll all sit down.  A helper will come out with a round of beverages and snacks.   Dwight's agent will comment that the cannolis are delightful and ask what flavor they are.  Wyc will say, "Oh those?  That's a pistachio cannoli from Mike's Pastry.  About a 10 minute walk from the TD Garden in the North End."   They'll talk about Italian food for a few minutes.  Eventually, someone will say, "Ok, let's get down to to business".   The room will quiet.  Ainge will lean back in his chair and give Dwight his offer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnmIoF_2Q4Y

Bruh... Just pointing out that I actually WAS the first person to use that on here a couple years ago.  I don't make tired jokes:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=85854.msg2122673#msg2122673
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:18:43 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 05:08:17 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

Bruh... Just pointing out that I actually WAS the first person to use that on here a couple years ago.  I don't make tired jokes:   http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=85854.msg2122673#msg2122673
Im impressed. TP.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 05:18:34 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 607
I'd be really impressed too... except when I click the link I get a Rick Astley video...

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

noels gonna be an rfa

What do you think he'd cost?

Plus we'd have to give up assets to get him

Nobody else wants those assets. I see no reason to sit on them until they hatch.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 05:29:20 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Exactly I'd rather overpay Howard than overpay Sully, hmm rather have Howard than Sully for free now that I think about it! ;)

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 06:02:40 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

At a good price, and with a clearly defined out to get out of a bad deal if the same old Clown comes to Boston.

I'm not a DH12 fan. Far from it. But how wouldn't he help the Celtics? They're about to guarantee flipping Amir Johnson and his 12 million dollar salary. That same 12 million that was supposed to be a phantom deal?!!! Now maxing out Dwight looks like the best case scenario for the offseason....

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 06:29:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I am less concerned about rim protection and more concerned about defensive rebounding. C's were a top notch defense last year with some of the worst rim protecting I have ever seen. But their penchant to give up offensive rebounds killed me.

Dwight Howard has the third highest career defensive rebounding percentage ever. That's what I want on this team.