Author Topic: Celtics Have A Meeting With Three Of The Top-7 Free Agents...  (Read 3301 times)

Re: Celtics Have A Meeting With Three Of The Top-7 Free Agents...
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 06:55:05 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
What happened to the other four? It must be because we can't get free agents interested in Boston.

Mike

TP for well-played sarcasm.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 07:42:07 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Let that sink in...

It still hasn't.

Probably better odds of hitting the lottery but the fact that we actually get a sit down with him is amazing.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 07:58:23 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Whiteside would make it four. Out of five. Conley is the only other free agent worth mentioning alongside Durant, Horford, Howard, and Whiteside. And we have zero need for Conley, is the only reason we wouldn't be meeting with him, too.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 07:59:23 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
It is exciting.

On the other hand, ask the Knicks and Lakers about the significance of free agent meetings.

Yup I remember that one summer where the Lakers signed both Dwight Howard and Steve Nash and Lakers fans in yellow/purple jerseys here in LA be screaming "THREEPEAT" or "BACK2BACK TITLES BABY!!!" lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 08:31:17 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I haven't seen this anywhere, but I live in Fort Worth and I had a friend text me earlier that it looks like Parsons is going to Boston, enjoy him as your second option when he should be a team's third option. 

Yes, my friend is bitter, especially about Rondo, but I haven't seen anything where one would get that opinion.  I don't know if it is talk radio here or what putting that out there.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 08:36:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Here is hoping we don't sign the 48th ranked free agent back up : 48. Jared Sullinger

I think OKC waves Ersan Ilyasova and uses the money to try to sign Al Horford to make KD happy.  It won't be enough but maybe they can make some other moves and look out  if they do.   Now I do not want this as a C's fans but it could happen.

Too late for Thunder to waive Ilyasova.  Needed to do it yesterday in time for him to clear waivers.

Also, the only way they could ever sign Horford was through a sign-and-trade, or with cap room after KD leaves.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 08:39:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think its exciting that for the first time since the Bird era the Celtics have tons of money to spend on free agents. Now lets see if they can sign one. I think they have a great chance if everything falls right.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 08:47:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
I think we have a meeting with Whiteside too now

We do? I don't think I've heard the Celtics linked at all to Whiteside, and Whiteside says he wants to make a decision by July 1.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I haven't seen this anywhere, but I live in Fort Worth and I had a friend text me earlier that it looks like Parsons is going to Boston, enjoy him as your second option when he should be a team's third option. 

Yes, my friend is bitter, especially about Rondo, but I haven't seen anything where one would get that opinion.  I don't know if it is talk radio here or what putting that out there.

Parsons is a good fit, however he wants a max-contract (look at his twitter) and with the cap rising some team will definitely overpay for him. Hope it's not Ainge.

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 08:49:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Oh, god no.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 08:54:28 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Here is hoping we don't sign the 48th ranked free agent back up : 48. Jared Sullinger

I think OKC waves Ersan Ilyasova and uses the money to try to sign Al Horford to make KD happy.  It won't be enough but maybe they can make some other moves and look out  if they do.   Now I do not want this as a C's fans but it could happen.

Westbrook - Oladipo - Durant - Horford - Adams

That would instantly become the most dangerous lineup in the league.  My goodness.

Is that really possible cap-wise?
I think Durant's cap hold would make it so that Horford would only fit if he took a big pay cut.

That's what I figured.  I think OKC is more likely to get somebody like Deng, who might sign for <$15 million to chase a ring.

Not to hijack the thread but I believe that OKC could add both Durant and Horford (if my back o napkin math is correct.

if OKC  choose to (a) not guarantee the contracts of Morrow and Ilyasova, (b) rescinded the qualifying offer to Waiters and renounced his rights  (c) were able to trade Enes Kanter to a team w/o taking back salary, I think they could sign Durant and Horford and (d) dump either Collison (easy) or McGary and Huestis (harder)

Dealing Kanter is obvs easier said than done but not impossible w a first rounder or 2 attached. For example, if I'm Brooklyn I'd take his contract on for OKCs 2020 1st (first one that OKC can trade), MEM 2017 2nd and BOS 2018 2nd.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 09:00:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

That would instantly become the most dangerous lineup in the league.  My goodness.

I think Durant's cap hold would make it so that Horford would only fit if he took a big pay cut.

That's what I figured.  I think OKC is more likely to get somebody like Deng, who might sign for <$15 million to chase a ring.

Not to hijack the thread but I believe that OKC could add both Durant and Horford (if my back o napkin math is correct.

if OKC  choose to (a) not guarantee the contracts of Morrow and Ilyasova, (b) rescinded the qualifying offer to Waiters and renounced his rights  (c) were able to trade Enes Kanter to a team w/o taking back salary, I think they could sign Durant and Horford and (d) dump either Collison (easy) or McGary and Huestis (harder)

Dealing Kanter is obvs easier said than done but not impossible w a first rounder or 2 attached. For example, if I'm Brooklyn I'd take his contract on for OKCs 2020 1st (first one that OKC can trade), MEM 2017 2nd and BOS 2018 2nd.

That's a great starting 5 for OKC.

But is their bench that strong? They already lost Ibaka. They deal Kanter and could lose a few more players in order to make Durant + Horford work.

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 09:11:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

That's a great starting 5 for OKC.

But is their bench that strong? They already lost Ibaka. They deal Kanter and could lose a few more players in order to make Durant + Horford work.

They'd have to fill the bench with vet min contracts, which with that starting 5, I think they would be able to attract good vet min players.