Author Topic: Celtics Have A Meeting With Three Of The Top-7 Free Agents...  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Let that sink in...

Kevin Durant (#1 FA This Year)
Al Horford (#5 FA This Year)
Dwight Howard (#7 FA This Year)

(And I'm not counting Lebron in this "ranking" as he will definitely re-sign with Cleveland)

Obviously it doesn't automatically mean we will sign any of them, but it shows that Boston is slowly becoming a destination Free Agents consider (even good ones like Durant), and now Boston has the financial resources and flexibility to make moves happen. And I'm sure there will be more players setting up meetings with Boston as Free Agency begins in 2 days.

If this is the case now, just imagine in 2017 and 2018 when the free agency pool is strong and loaded with talent (Harden, Millsap, Griffin, Cousins, PG13, etc.). I might be being overly optimistic but I think by 2018 at the latest we will have a superstar or multiple all-stars alongside IT here in Boston pushing for Banner 18. The future is bright my friends.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Celtics Have A Meeting With Three Of The Top-7 Free Agents...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 05:17:36 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Yes my friend, TP.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 05:21:07 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't know why people are so upset or disappointed by the NBA draft.

If Ainge seriously believes he has a shot, no matter how miniscule at Durant, then he should still try to pursue it.

I'm in the group where I firmly believe Durant has us pegged as a top 3 destination. Only the Spurs/OKC have better leverage, and I honestly don't believe GSW has or would even go through the ordeal of destroying their bench, depth, role players, and Bogut, (who they missed dearly after the Cavs were tearing up their paint,) for a superstar that could uplift them as one of the greatest teams in the history of the NBA; but would severely hinder the bench that GSW has been well known for.

Regardless, I see Millsap, Cousins, and even PG13 taking a chance on us. Millsap has had good relations, and even spoke kindly about BOS. And Cousins has said how he loves the stability that the front office and Brad Stevens brings. PG13 just seems like a Brad Stevens type of player, but I can see us going after Hayward over Paul George sadly...  :'(
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 05:48:24 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Let that sink in...

(And I'm not counting Lebron in this "ranking" as he will definitely re-sign with Cleveland)

Obviously it doesn't automatically mean we will sign any of them, but it shows that Boston is slowly becoming a destination Free Agents consider (even good ones like Durant), and now Boston has the financial resources and flexibility to make moves happen. And I'm sure there will be more players setting up meetings with Boston as Free Agency begins in 2 days.

If this is the case now, just imagine in 2017 and 2018 when the free agency pool is strong and loaded with talent (Harden, Millsap, Griffin, Cousins, PG13, etc.). I might be being overly optimistic but I think by 2018 at the latest we will have a superstar or multiple all-stars alongside IT here in Boston pushing for Banner 18. The future is bright my friends.

Is Horford meeting with the Celtics?  I cannot confirm this.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 05:50:37 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
What happened to the other four? It must be because we can't get free agents interested in Boston.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 06:03:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Let that sink in...

Is Horford meeting with the Celtics?  I cannot confirm this.

The Celtics are interested with him.

I don't think there's an official meeting scheduled yet but I'm guessing based on interest the C's have they will try at all ends to set up a meeting with Horford.

If it ends up not happening then still.. Having Durant and Howard meet with us is a pretty big deal based on how we are supposedly not a free agent destination to any stars or great players.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 06:04:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
What happened to the other four? It must be because we can't get free agents interested in Boston.

Mike

#2 Drummond will stay with Detroit (he's restricted)
#3 Whiteside will either go to LAL or MIA (making his decision July 1 reportedly)
#4 Conley (do we need him?) (likely going to the Spurs)
#6 DeRozan (Probably staying with TOR)

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 06:10:06 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think we have a meeting with Whiteside too now

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

There isn't a lot I like about Whiteside.

But I'll take hm seven days a week and twice on Sunday over The Clown.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 06:17:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It is exciting.

On the other hand, ask the Knicks and Lakers about the significance of free agent meetings.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 06:22:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Here is hoping we don't sign the 48th ranked free agent back up : 48. Jared Sullinger

I think OKC waves Ersan Ilyasova and uses the money to try to sign Al Horford to make KD happy.  It won't be enough but maybe they can make some other moves and look out  if they do.   Now I do not want this as a C's fans but it could happen.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 06:29:28 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Link? I've seen that we have interest but I didn't see anything about a meeting.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 06:31:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Here is hoping we don't sign the 48th ranked free agent back up : 48. Jared Sullinger

I think OKC waves Ersan Ilyasova and uses the money to try to sign Al Horford to make KD happy.  It won't be enough but maybe they can make some other moves and look out  if they do.   Now I do not want this as a C's fans but it could happen.

Westbrook - Oladipo - Durant - Horford - Adams

That would instantly become the most dangerous lineup in the league.  My goodness.

Is that really possible cap-wise?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 06:50:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

That would instantly become the most dangerous lineup in the league.  My goodness.

I think Durant's cap hold would make it so that Horford would only fit if he took a big pay cut.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 06:51:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I think Durant's cap hold would make it so that Horford would only fit if he took a big pay cut.

That's what I figured.  I think OKC is more likely to get somebody like Deng, who might sign for <$15 million to chase a ring.
- Mark Twain