Author Topic: Vegas' odds on Celtics signing Durant/Howard  (Read 7774 times)

Re: Vegas' odds on Celtics signing Durant/Howard
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 08:01:08 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Shouldn't Durant drop a couple million on the best payout and join that team?   ;)

TP!

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 08:11:02 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm not a gambler, but aren't those odds designed to "even out" the betting money?
i believe those odds are designed to make a ton of money for the bookies.  ;D

I think you just said the same thing. Heh.

The vig is what makes money for the bookies. They want to break even on the bets.

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 08:29:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
It looks like OKC is trying to clear space to sign Horford, therefore re-signing KD. So, is Horford that much better than Ibaka? He can shoot better but his rebounding has declined and he is like 3 years older. What gives?
But it is Horford, Sabonis, and Oladipo (I'm assuming Ilyasova is cut to create some room) OR Ibaka (plus whomever they have to release to fit Horford in).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 08:37:18 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I would have thought that Atlanta would be the favorite since usually reliable NBA sources indicate that we're not interested in a long term contract.

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 09:10:30 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'm very surprised that Dwight is even money to come to Boston. This seems really high. It's encouraging that there aren't a lot of other teams with significant odds-- maybe that means that there won't be a lot of competition for his services, and we'll sign him for significantly less than the max.

The Durant odds are worse than I hoped, but honestly they seem pretty reasonable.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 09:18:29 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Just saw a tweet from Adam Himmelbach that says the Celtics are not going to seriously pursue Howard.

Good.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 09:21:25 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
It looks like OKC is trying to clear space to sign Horford, therefore re-signing KD. So, is Horford that much better than Ibaka? He can shoot better but his rebounding has declined and he is like 3 years older. What gives?
But it is Horford, Sabonis, and Oladipo (I'm assuming Ilyasova is cut to create some room) OR Ibaka (plus whomever they have to release to fit Horford in).

Looking at that list I find it hard to believe Durant wouldn't come back if they can manage to get Horford.

I also find it hard to believe Horford would prefer us to OKC.

In my opinion that Ibaka deal was a heist. Oladipo is a terrific guy to play off of Westbrook.

Here's a comparison of Oladipo to Waiters, too.

http://bkref.com/tiny/QqXnF

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

Looking at that list I find it hard to believe Durant wouldn't come back if they can manage to get Horford.

In my opinion that Ibaka deal was a heist. Oladipo is a terrific guy to play off of Westbrook.

Prime reason why I believe Durant is headed home to OKC long-term. They reloaded and then some through a brilliant trade, and someone will take Enes Kanter. He's not a bad player.

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2016, 09:24:38 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Prime reason why I believe Durant is headed home to OKC long-term. They reloaded and then some through a brilliant trade, and someone will take Enes Kanter. He's not a bad player.

And just as a fan, those Westbrook/Oladipo vs. Steph/Klay faceoffs are going to be awesome.

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2016, 09:32:57 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Kanter isn't much worse than Jahlil at this point. Offensively skilled, bad on defense.

Kanter's definitely a better rebounder.

Okafor of course will likely improve, but if we can get Kanter for a good price, it seems like a fine deal. He's under contract for two years at money that (now) is not insane. It'd certainly be a much better deal than moving #3 for Okafor.

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2016, 10:05:42 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

And just as a fan, those Westbrook/Oladipo vs. Steph/Klay faceoffs are going to be awesome.

Mike and Mike this morning had a guy who thinks Westbrook will make a long-term commitment to OKC to keep Durant there. If that's true, I see absolutely zero chance of Durant signing anywhere else, and OKC will be much improved next year.

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2016, 10:19:17 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

Mike and Mike this morning had a guy who thinks Westbrook will make a long-term commitment to OKC to keep Durant there. If that's true, I see absolutely zero chance of Durant signing anywhere else, and OKC will be much improved next year.

Yeah... I don't see that happening whatsoever. Westbrook isn't going to commit to crap truthfully. He wants to be wooed next summer.

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2016, 10:32:34 AM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Stating that Miami and New York have better odds of signing Durant is completely fallacious conjecture. The Celtics have a much brighter future than both of those teams, with the tools for sustained success for the foreseeable future. Boston is trending upward, Miami and New York are fading or stuck in obscurity. I think that OKC has the best chance of signing Durant because of the moves they have made this summer and it's easier for KD to stick around and make more money there.

Having said that, the Western conference is contentious and the path to a championship is a lot tougher than in the East. The appeal of Boston is that we are on the brink and Durant could realistically win several championships here, given that he has the right pieces around him. Boston is going all out to make this an appealing destination for free agents, considering the coach that we have and the fact that they are planning enhancements like the state of the art practice facility.

Why would KD meet with other teams? He and his agent are doing their due diligence and it would be poor business to not hear what other teams have to offer. It's like the decision between settling at your current job or exploring other opportunities that may be more fruitful for one's career. So don't get your hopes up, but there's also no reason to despair and doubt the efforts and potential of the Celtics. Ainge's acumen led us to having a top 3 pick in this year's draft, and most likely the next 2 drafts as well, so we should be grateful and temper our expectations.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!