Author Topic: Celtics will make qualifying offer to Sullinger & Zeller  (Read 7650 times)

Re: Celtics will make qualifying offer to Sullinger & Zeller
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 06:59:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Bulpett:

According to league-related sources, Celts to give qualifying offers to Jared Sullinger & Tyler Zeller, making them restricted free agents.

As expected.
honestly a bit concerned Zeller signs the QO

I'm not.  It's not that expensive.  We'd be very lucky to get a backup center of even Zeller quality for the room exception of $2.9 million, and that'd likely include a player option for year 2.  One year at a little less than $3.7 million would be a bargain for a backup big.

Of course, him accepting it would not get me excited.  But it certainly doesn't concern me.

Any idea how much Sully's will be?  He qualifies as a starter, which means he gets the same QO as if he was taken 9th overall, but does the fact that Danny gave him 120% of the rookie scale play into that at all?

His QO is the same as Drunmond's.  The starter criteria rule assumes that the 9th pick has the greatest year 4 salary possible (which Drummond did.)

You have exact numbers for both Sully and Zeller?
4.4 and 3.7M respectively.

OK, those are the ones I had to work with. Wasn't sure if they were correct. I assume that once the QO is made, their bigger cap hold is reduced to the QO one.

No, the cap hold is either the qualifying offer or the hold for Bird rights, whichever is larger.  If either sign the QO, then the cap hold would be the QO because that's what their salary is.

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 07:15:49 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Well the QO for Sully is WAY more team-friendly that the QO for Zeller.

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 07:43:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Oh for crying out loud ::).

Re: Re: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 07:47:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Bulpett:

According to league-related sources, Celts to give qualifying offers to Jared Sullinger & Tyler Zeller, making them restricted free agents.

As expected.

What's the chances of either of them accepting those offers and waiting until next year to hit free agency in the bigger cap where everyone will have money to throw around? It might make some sense for those two.
Cap is not getting as significantly larger next year as it did this year. They're better off testing the market now before other players ate up the space.

Also... enough already with the both of them.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 07:54:38 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Bulpett:

As expected.

I'm not.  It's not that expensive.  We'd be very lucky to get a backup center of even Zeller quality for the room exception of $2.9 million, and that'd likely include a player option for year 2.  One year at a little less than $3.7 million would be a bargain for a backup big.

Of course, him accepting it would not get me excited.  But it certainly doesn't concern me.

Any idea how much Sully's will be?  He qualifies as a starter, which means he gets the same QO as if he was taken 9th overall, but does the fact that Danny gave him 120% of the rookie scale play into that at all?

His QO is the same as Drunmond's.  The starter criteria rule assumes that the 9th pick has the greatest year 4 salary possible (which Drummond did.)

OK, those are the ones I had to work with. Wasn't sure if they were correct. I assume that once the QO is made, their bigger cap hold is reduced to the QO one.

No, the cap hold is either the qualifying offer or the hold for Bird rights, whichever is larger.  If either sign the QO, then the cap hold would be the QO because that's what their salary is.

So in this particular case, my first estimates for their cap hold was correct? About $12 million total for both of them?

Re: Re: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 07:56:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Bulpett:

As expected.

What's the chances of either of them accepting those offers and waiting until next year to hit free agency in the bigger cap where everyone will have money to throw around? It might make some sense for those two.
Cap is not getting as significantly larger next year as it did this year. They're better off testing the market now before other players ate up the space.

Also... enough already with the both of them.

That is completely incorrect.  The salary cap was forecast to jump from $92 to $111 million back in April. That was before this year's salary cap updated forecast to $94 million in June.  A $20 million jump next year would not be remotely surprising.

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 07:56:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Bulpett:

As expected.

So in this particular case, my first estimates for their cap hold was correct? About $12 million total for both of them?

Correct.

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 08:27:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
why Danny WHY???

unless if some team offers compensation if they sign them away (which doesn't work this way in the NBA) , why danny??

Watch both sign the deal. Who is going to want them?

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 08:28:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
why Danny WHY???

unless if some team offers compensation if they sign them away (which doesn't work this way in the NBA) , why danny??

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=85838.msg2122155#msg2122155

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 08:47:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
why Danny WHY???

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=85838.msg2122155#msg2122155

Horrible reason to keep them. Even worst case

these athletes should not be getting rich because teams have to meet the cap floor. Or for trade bait

Nonsense

Plus what about picking up options for Amir/Jerebko?

We can't f* have the same PF/C lineup for next season.   

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2016, 12:18:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I still cant understand why Danny made offers

Gsw rescinded the offee on Mcadoo and he became a UFA

If Zully plus Turner comeback....  >:(

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2016, 12:27:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Golden State has cap space issues... we don't.

I already linked you to the reasons above. If you can't get that through your head, nothing we can do about it.

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I already linked you to the reasons above. If you can't get that through your head, nothing we can do about it.

Get it through your head. It's a bad move and no need to risk for them to sign

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2016, 12:42:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Get ir through your head. It's a bad move and no need to risk for them to sign

The risk is incredibly minimal. It doesn't prevent us from targeting the players we want to target. We can rescind the qualifying offer at any point in time if we so wish it  until July 23. After that only with player's consent.

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2016, 01:09:02 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

How is this a bad move?  Do you think you understand this situation better than Danny?  If either one of them sign an offer sheet that the C's do not wish to match, then they just don't match them.  If either one of them sign the Q.O. then they will be imminently tradable on those cheep contracts and thus become assets.

Get it through your head. It's a bad move and no need to risk for them to sign