Author Topic: Celtics will make qualifying offer to Sullinger & Zeller  (Read 7643 times)

Re: Celtics will make qualifying offer to Sullinger & Zeller
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 03:21:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This is simply Ainge preserving options.  If either player's cap hold gets in the way of another option in free agency, either or both will be renounced.  If either sign for contracts with other teams that don't make sense to Ainge, their offer sheets will not be matched.  But if free agency plays out such that Sully or Zeller is the way to go, either for one year or long term, extending qualifying offers allows for Ainge to pursue that option more easily, at lower cost, and more on the C's terms.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 03:23:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is simply Ainge preserving options.  If either player's cap hold gets in the way of another option in free agency, either or both will be renounced.  If either sign for contracts with other teams that don't make sense to Ainge, their offer sheets will not be matched.  But if free agency plays out such that Sully or Zeller is the way to go, either for one year or long term, extending qualifying offers allows for Ainge to pursue that option more easily, at lower cost, and more on the C's terms.

This. Pretty simple really.

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
It's about keeping rights on their own players is correct.  Both players are still young and have some value to this team.  When Bradley was offered 9 mil it was the same thing.  People ****ed and moaned but it was about keeping rights on their own player.  Sully gets a lot of flack from this board but he's still potentially an important piece for us.

If it gets to be a number where a team is offering him more the C's want to spend on him, they can still work out sign and trades too I believe.  Even sign him for less and trade him where he has value that way.

They also may still just like him as a player depending on how much he costs.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:33:56 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
It's about keeping rights on their own players is correct.  Both players are still young and have some value to this team.  When Bradley was offered 9 mil it was the same thing.  People ****ed and moaned but it was about keeping rights on their own player.  Sully gets a lot of flack from this board but he's still potentially an important piece for us.

If it gets to be a number where a team is offering him more the C's want to spend on him, they can still work out sign and trades too I believe.  Even sign him for less and trade him where he has value that way.

They also may still just like him as a player.

Don't use the 'P' word please.

Seriously we have 4 people to look at here as big men. We likely will need 2 of them. Which will meet our needs is going to be determined by who we sign as FA IMO. Sullinger has a rebounding skillet we cannot take lightly even with all his warts. The other 3 have different areas of value.

As stated, Danny doing his thing.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Re: Re: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 03:55:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Bulpett:

According to league-related sources, Celts to give qualifying offers to Jared Sullinger & Tyler Zeller, making them restricted free agents.

As expected.
honestly a bit concerned Zeller signs the QO

I can't stand watching him play.

Ditto

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 03:58:56 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
We have Jordan Mickey itching to play more than 2 minutes next season and I say he definitely deserves it, I also want to see Brown get some meaningful minutes at the 4, see how that goes... I don't want to stunt their growth with anymore logjams

Re: Re: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 04:00:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Bulpett:

According to league-related sources, Celts to give qualifying offers to Jared Sullinger & Tyler Zeller, making them restricted free agents.

As expected.

I'm not.  It's not that expensive.  We'd be very lucky to get a backup center of even Zeller quality for the room exception of $2.9 million, and that'd likely include a player option for year 2.  One year at a little less than $3.7 million would be a bargain for a backup big.

Of course, him accepting it would not get me excited.  But it certainly doesn't concern me.

Any idea how much Sully's will be?  He qualifies as a starter, which means he gets the same QO as if he was taken 9th overall, but does the fact that Danny gave him 120% of the rookie scale play into that at all?

His QO is the same as Drunmond's.  The starter criteria rule assumes that the 9th pick has the greatest year 4 salary possible (which Drummond did.)

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 04:12:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Bulpett:

As expected.

I'm not.  It's not that expensive.  We'd be very lucky to get a backup center of even Zeller quality for the room exception of $2.9 million, and that'd likely include a player option for year 2.  One year at a little less than $3.7 million would be a bargain for a backup big.

Of course, him accepting it would not get me excited.  But it certainly doesn't concern me.

Any idea how much Sully's will be?  He qualifies as a starter, which means he gets the same QO as if he was taken 9th overall, but does the fact that Danny gave him 120% of the rookie scale play into that at all?

His QO is the same as Drunmond's.  The starter criteria rule assumes that the 9th pick has the greatest year 4 salary possible (which Drummond did.)

You have exact numbers for both Sully and Zeller?

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 04:20:05 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I was just watching highlights where this is a masterful game by  Sully.  He had some really good games against certain teams and matchups.  Others he struggled.   He has consistency issues that way.  If you look at the teams he does well against and doesn't he is kind of that way.  He's somewhat of a system player like Bradley but still improving too. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU3u7III-uw

People act like Sully never hustles or ever does anything good though. Mannix and Sully going at it at halftime is funny in this one too.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:27:04 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 04:20:56 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm done with the fat kid, throw a cheeseburger into traffic let him chase it!

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 04:56:13 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Sully is an outstanding defensive rebounder and is solid in the low post.  Both of these are partly due to his ability to use his girth to his advantage.  When I played, I remember this advantage for those fat guys.  They were like a wall.

He has trouble in most other parts of his game.

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 04:56:36 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Sully's numbers are comparable to horford in 23 mpg.  Horford plays about 33 mpg on average.   Sully is not as well conditioned, but we've also been playing KO and other guys like Jerebko.  Horford comes here that won't necessarily be the case.  Sully is limited that way or it's just a decision to split minutes that way.  With Horford here we either win or lose by him.  We had the same record as the Hawks last year.  Atlanta actually had Millsap to go with Horford plus teague.  We had better guard play but I'm not so sure Horford is this huge upgrade. It would more be to entice Durant.   We extended a qualifying offer because there is no guarantee we are going to get Horford or even will make that choice at this point.

Between KO and Sully though we probably got similar to if not better production.

Horford is also a center and would be coming here to replace Amir just as much as Sully.

We may decide to keep Sully and KO at PF and add a center anyways.

It would be nice if Sully would step up and own that position, but that's just who he is so far in his career. He's a flawed player. It's not like Horford or any of these other guys are that big an upgrade though.  It's more to entice Durant.

Star players make a difference in the playoffs and our shortcomings at PF were magnified, but it had more to do with Millsap than Horford.  Getting Horford here doesn't solve that issue.  We still need to add Durant so we are dominating matchups. Horford is pretty much a wash at center and would just give us solid play there. Our pf spot is still a mess as it stands unless we decide to go with faster quicker guys there which is what we drafted so we  might.

There is no guarantee we are getting Horford or Durant at this point though.  So it makes sense to hold onto these guys.  The same goes for Bradley and guys like that.  There is no reason to get rid of him unless we are getting Jimmy Butler or someone like that.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:13:28 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 05:04:34 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Bulpett:

As expected.

4.4 and 3.7M respectively.

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Bulpett:

As expected.

4.4 and 3.7M respectively.

OK, those are the ones I had to work with. Wasn't sure if they were correct. I assume that once the QO is made, their bigger cap hold is reduced to the QO one.

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 06:36:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sully gets a lot of flack from this board but he's still potentially an important piece for us.
  Sure, he was great in the playoffs and one can always rely on him to to eat himself out of shape  or get injured due to his weight at some point in the season.

Sully is an outstanding defensive rebounder and is solid in the low post

He is a good rebounder but he is not solid in the low post.  He is a poor shooter.  He shoots better in the low post but even so if you compare his number to other guys he is crappy.

http://vorped.com/1-nba/2015-2016/player/1464/jared-sullinger/shotchart/

Amir as one can see is a much better low post option

http://vorped.com/1-nba/2015-2016/player/1020/amir-johnson/

Sully gets blocked quite  a bit and struggles against length and size because he has no lift.

Sully's numbers are comparable to horford in 23 mpg.  Horford plays about 33 mpg on average.   Sully is not as well conditioned, but we've also been playing KO and other guys like Jerebko.  Horford comes here that won't necessarily be the case.  Sully is limited that way or it's just a decision to split minutes that way.  With Horford here we either win or lose by him.  We had the same record as the Hawks last year.  Atlanta actually had Millsap to go with Horford plus teague.  We had better guard play but I'm not so sure Horford is this huge upgrade. It would more be to entice Durant.   We extended a qualifying offer because there is no guarantee we are going to get Horford or even will make that choice at this point.

Lets compare their shooting them if their numbers are comparable, here they are from last year.

Al Horford shot 51 % FG    34% from 3 Point land   .80% from the line.
Sully shot 44%    28% from 3 Point land and   .64 % from the line.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3213/al-horford

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/6624/jared-sullinger

Not even close, Horford is clearly the better shooter by a lot.  So if their other stats are the same you take the better shooter plus Horford is a way better shot blocker.   It is one thing to compare their stats, but how could you not compare their shooting in this comparison.   That shows lack of insight in what is otherwise decent analysis.

THIS IS A BACKUP PLAN in case we strike out.   It is a crappy backup plan though.