Author Topic: New ESPN on Hinkie and the Process  (Read 16408 times)

New ESPN on Hinkie and the Process
« on: June 29, 2016, 02:24:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: New ESPN on Hinkie and the Process
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Hinkie's strategy, I dont think was bad. Philly has tons of top end talent, but I am very happy that he wont be there to see the fruits of it.

An absolute disgrace to basketball and everyone who loves basketball should hope to see Philly fail.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 02:30:14 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I absolutely hate tanking, and think it's bad for basketball and for business. Continuously tanking just to get top drafts in multiple years just sounds terrible for fans.

Just like how some fans were early on, who wanted Danny to tank until we get the #1, and now that we're back in the playoffs, everyone is jumping on the win-now train.

Danny's process is definitely a process I prefer

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 02:31:20 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
There's more to management than just being smart.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 02:36:02 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128

Yup. That's exactly what the article is about. Hope you like it. It was good.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 02:56:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Yup. That's exactly what the article is about. Hope you like it. It was good.
Yeah I thought it was really interesting.  The Elton Brand stuff was incredibly fascinating as well Hinkie's scouting review from the NCAA tournament.  Also, some of the stuff about trying to win every trade, while not new and out there previously, I still found interesting especially in light of some of the reports about Ainge always trying to fleece everyone in trades.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 03:35:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
This kind of read like a bit of a puff piece about how poor Hinkie was misunderstood. I would have given it a lot more stock if it had thrown in a more brutally honest look at some of his flaws. It kind of brushed over the fact that agents didn't want to deal with him and the fact that other owners didn't want to interact with him. It is also not clear where the author's got the idea that Deangelo Russel's issues were not tied to the culture and situation of the Lakers. I read many things here and other about how the Lakers had created a terrible culture built around the circus of Kobe's farewell and were making a mockery of the season. 

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 03:52:38 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
David Pick ‏@IAmDPick 7m7 minutes ago
Dario Saric, source said, told his teammates he intends to leave Europe for Sixers this offseason.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 04:01:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Dario Saric, source said, told his teammates he intends to leave Europe for Sixers this offseason.

Wow that is one crowded frontcourt. Who gets the least minutes?

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 04:04:53 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
This kind of read like a bit of a puff piece about how poor Hinkie was misunderstood. I would have given it a lot more stock if it had thrown in a more brutally honest look at some of his flaws. It kind of brushed over the fact that agents didn't want to deal with him and the fact that other owners didn't want to interact with him. It is also not clear where the author's got the idea that Deangelo Russel's issues were not tied to the culture and situation of the Lakers. I read many things here and other about how the Lakers had created a terrible culture built around the circus of Kobe's farewell and were making a mockery of the season.

My sentiments also. His screwing over agents for minimal advantage got little coverage. Hinkie alienated agents, players, and other teams. God knows how he treated people in his own organization, but 3 out of 4 in a the small world that is the NBA is just cause for a short career.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 04:12:47 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Wow that is one crowded frontcourt. Who gets the least minutes?

I've read that Simmons is expected to be a point 4 by one of their beat writers. Who knows where Saric will play, but IIRC, he doesn't have the feet to play SF or the size to play PF defensively.

Their roster is a mess basically and getting value for one of their 3 centers is going to be tough since there seems to be a pretty big chasm between how they value them vs the NBA, especially with Noel going to free agency after next season.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 04:18:28 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Sixers are supposedly going to make a big push for Harrison Barnes.  If GS is able to land a more prominent free agent they will let Barnes go, but I wouldn't be surprised if they threatened to match in order to get Noel from the Sixers in a sign and trade of Barnes. 

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 04:23:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Sixers are supposedly going to make a big push for Harrison Barnes.  If GS is able to land a more prominent free agent they will let Barnes go, but I wouldn't be surprised if they threatened to match in order to get Noel from the Sixers in a sign and trade of Barnes.

Are you proposing this as a one year rental? They will need to pay Steph 25 million starting 2017-2018 along with 34 million for Klay and Draymond. Would they really want to add on Noel at 20-23 million million a year and have 4 players taking up 80-85 million? I don't think he makes much sense as a 4th max guy for them. It would be really fun to see him on Golden State though

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 04:29:51 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Are you proposing this as a one year rental? They will need to pay Steph 25 million starting 2017-2018 along with 34 million for Klay and Draymond. Would they really want to add on Noel at 20-23 million million a year and have 4 players taking up 80-85 million? I don't think he makes much sense as a 4th max guy for them. It would be really fun to see him on Golden State though

Noel could actually get as much as $27.5 million per year starting salary in free agency (25%^ X 2017 cap of $110 million). Who knows what he gets if he showed well and if he didn't than what is he worth in a trade?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:46:40 PM by colincb »

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 04:32:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hinkie did what Philly's ownership asked him to do... acquire assets and swing for the fences via the draft.   It might have worked.  Jury is still out.   BUt fact is, if Simmons and Embiid are as great as expected, they are able to sign some free agents, and are able to get some value out of one of the redundant bigs - "the process" will have been a success.   Really, all they need for it to be a success is for one player to become a superstar.  They have a couple candidates.