Author Topic: Isiah Thomas thinks Jaylen Brown would be an excellent pick for the Celtics  (Read 3630 times)

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Came across this article

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/06/ex_piston_isiah_thomas_knew_jaylen_brown_would_be_ideal_celtic

Here are some quotes that stands out to me and why I am excited to see Jaylen Brown in green

“When I got to know Jaylen Brown and how he played, I said to him — and this is before the draft process started — I said to him, ‘You’re a Celtic,’ ” Thomas told the Herald later. “He fits the Celtic culture that I played against, that I competed against. That I know.”

“You hate to say this name, but I do see him as a defender first,” Zeke said. “He’s coming into the league with similar defensive skills as a Kawhi Leonard, who can guard a 1, 2 or a 3 out on the perimeter.

“I do think his offensive game, while it’s good, it’s going to get much better. I think he’ll be an above average 3-point shooter in the league. With his ability to handle the basketball, putting it on the floor — driving right, driving left — he’ll be able to get to the basket, and I do think he’ll be able to get to the line four to five times a night.

“But I think where people will find him most exciting right now is on the defensive side of the ball. I think he can step in right now and guard and hold his position, whether it be at the 2 or the 3. He can play 15 or 20 minutes for you in an NBA game right now.”

and personally I like how Jaylen isn't just a basketball player, but takes academics very seriously,. As a freshmen he already took a graduate course and got an A in it

“At first, the dean didn’t want him to take the class because they didn’t think he would be able to handle it. So I advocated with the dean and he ended up getting in the class, and he got an A in it. So that’s how he and I got to know each other, and from that point on we just stayed in touch with each other. Very little of our conversation was around the game of basketball; it was more about academics and studying and competing in the classroom.”

I think this kid is very mature and has his head right at such a young age.

Last but not least

The Detroit Pistons Bad Boy laughed at the notion he is aiding a former enemy.

“It doesn’t feel weird for me,” Thomas said, “because, like I’ve told you before, the Celtics were our mentors. They were our teachers. They were the masters of the game. So we as pupils, even though we grew up and we beat them, they’re still the masters.”

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
And in another article I read, apparently Zeke helped IT4 out too when he was traded here. Zeke seems to be constantly doing the C's a solid these days!  :laugh:
- LilRip

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Nice post. TP
If you gave out ten dollar bills here, someone would complain that theirs was wrinkled, or they didn't get the first one.
Brown is going to be great.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
When you watch him, he does remind you a bit of Kawhi, at least personality-wise. He doesn't seem to show much emotion out on the court. He'd be an excellent pick if he reaches even Kawhi's level.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
yea, I think we're one of the few who actually liked the pick. I saw somewhere that his first year stats is eerily similar to Paul Pierce as well. I'll be very happy if he reaches either Kawhi or Pierce's level.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
When you watch him, he does remind you a bit of Kawhi, at least personality-wise. He doesn't seem to show much emotion out on the court. He'd be an excellent pick if he reaches even Kawhi's level.

I think the fan base would explode if he reaches DPOY and Finals MVP level. If Jaylen turns into Kawhi, we will be celebrating years of championship contention and it will be magnificent  ;D

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Zeke is the man. He understands the importance of style and how it translates to winning on the court. If he sees that Jaylen has that "IT" factor, I would not bet against it.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
Zeke is the man. He understands the importance of style and how it translates to winning on the court. If he sees that Jaylen has that "IT" factor, I would not bet against it.

I'm actually not too familiar with Zeke, but I do like how he helped IT4. I can't wait to watch Jaylen play in the summer league

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Say what?  You are talking about arguably the worst GM in the history of the NBA.  Explain to me how he knows about what kind of players help a team to win?  That said, I personally love the Brown pick, but not because Zeke endorses it.

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Say what?  You are talking about arguably the worst GM in the history of the NBA.  Explain to me how he knows about what kind of players help a team to win?  That said, I personally love the Brown pick, but not because Zeke endorses it.

Taking time away from the game to observe this new youth movement probably inspired Zeke. Zeke was one of the first legends to board the S. Curry hype train, he punched many tickets. Zeke doesnt hold back his feelings regarding players he love and I admire that. A better question would probably be which player has Zeke fallen in love with that has turned out to be trash?

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Nice post. TP
If you gave out ten dollar bills here, someone would complain that theirs was wrinkled, or they didn't get the first one.
Brown is going to be great.
  Yeah, but at least you don't have Fierce to contend with here!!

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Taking time away from the game to observe this new youth movement probably inspired Zeke. Zeke was one of the first legends to board the S. Curry hype train, he punched many tickets. Zeke doesnt hold back his feelings regarding players he love and I admire that. A better question would probably be which player has Zeke fallen in love with that has turned out to be trash?

Zeke is a racist who flat out insulted Larry Bird by saying "if he were black, he'd just be another player."  I don't know how you can give that loser any love.  The sweetest piece of redemption EVER was when Larry took over as GM of the Pacers, and guess who was coach?  You guessed it, none other than Zeke.  I would've loved to be a fly in the wall during that conversation.

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Eh. He was a good drafter. http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/232776/Study-Finds-Isiah-Thomas-As-Best-Drafting-GM-Since-1989
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

Zeke is a racist who flat out insulted Larry Bird by saying "if he were black, he'd just be another player."  I don't know how you can give that loser any love.  The sweetest piece of redemption EVER was when Larry took over as GM of the Pacers, and guess who was coach?  You guessed it, none other than Zeke.  I would've loved to be a fly in the wall during that conversation.

I give Thomas a pass on that one---he was defending that Idiot Rookie Dennis Rodman.
They actually had a press conference during the Finals, Where Larry defended Thomas---although it bugged him, only because it took him away from Finals preparation.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Eh. He was a good drafter. http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/232776/Study-Finds-Isiah-Thomas-As-Best-Drafting-GM-Since-1989

Missed that article when it came out.  Good find.

Isiah knows basketball.  He might not have the proper financial, management, and negotiation skills to run a team, and he's unquestionably a misogynist, but he definitely knows the game.