Author Topic: Why is the Summer League being played in Orlando?  (Read 2071 times)

Why is the Summer League being played in Orlando?
« on: June 29, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Can't understand why the NBA allows Orlando to host Summer League games. The facility is not even open to the general public.

The following is what I copied from their website.

"Due to space limitations, the event is not open to the public and will be open only to the media and professional team/league personnel. Fans can access box scores, game recaps and cumulative statistics by visiting www.orlandomagic.com."

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/orlando-magic-host-southwest-airlines-orlando-pro-summer-league?ls=iref%3Anba%3Aspecials

This smells of elitism to me. Fans pay big bucks to go to NBA games, pay premium rates to access them on cable and endure endless hours of commercials watching them on TV.

Then, after fans dole out big bucks supporting the NBA, they exclude their fan base from watching rookies play in the summer due to space limitations? This is preposterous! 

Not that I was going to fly to Orlando to watch the games. Still, it should be an option for the fans that want to go.

They should consider returning the games back to Boston where there is more space. Thus, allowing the public the opportunity to attend. Chances are it won't happen. My guess is Southwest is paying big bucks to sponsor the event. Even at that, Southwest flies to numerous cities all around the country.They surely allow passengers get off and on their planes in Orlando? Why are they sponsoring such an exclusionary event?

Re: Why is the Summer League being played in Orlando?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:31:51 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Good thing we are only playing in Utah and Las Vegas  ;)

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 11:33:14 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
Good thing we are only playing in Utah and Las Vegas  ;)

I wonder if this is one reason Boston pulled out of the Orlando Summer League? 

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 11:39:30 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
From a marketing standpoint it is just ridiculous and ignorant.

The NBA summer league should be set up like MLB spring training.

The league and teams would see nice revenue. They could still get some decent TV money as well.

I would even pay the players a little something for participating. It's  just a win win in my book.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 11:48:36 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
They have summer league every year in Orlando. Sometimes we play in it.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 12:00:10 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
They've hosted it since 2001.  I don't really think there was as much interest in watching it back then (it's arguable that there isn't really much now), but it's evolved a bit since then.  At this point they're not gonna change it, it's tradition
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 12:11:48 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
They've hosted it since 2001.  I don't really think there was as much interest in watching it back then (it's arguable that there isn't really much now), but it's evolved a bit since then.  At this point they're not gonna change it, it's tradition

I really doubt that. Once they can monetize it to their satisfaction they'll do it.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 12:14:16 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

I watched one Summer League game in Vegas last year. Believe me, there is a lot of interest. They practically filled a good size arena in a game between LA and the Knicks. Plus, Boston drew a couple thousand...(just guessing) in the secondary venue. 

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

The league and teams would see nice revenue. They could still get some decent TV money as well.

I would even pay the players a little something for participating. It's  just a win win in my book.

I agree that the league is dropping the ball with the summer league. Set up three locations east (Orlando), central (?) and west (vegas). Divide the teams and their D-league affiliates up in three groupings. Run tournaments at each location. Fans would eat up the ability to watch young vets and recent draft picks play in organized tournament style setting.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 12:48:47 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm pretty sure Summer Leagues are not NBA-sponsored events.  They are glorified pickup games.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 12:52:27 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128

I agree that the league is dropping the ball with the summer league. Set up three locations east (Orlando), central (?) and west (vegas). Divide the teams and their D-league affiliates up in three groupings. Run tournaments at each location. Fans would eat up the ability to watch young vets and recent draft picks play in organized tournament style setting.

The real dirty way to do it is to set it up in cities where they're considering moving a franchise in each of those regions.  Definitely Vegas, maybe St Louis or Kansas City in the "Central" and on the east I think they're pretty oversaturated so they should just do one in Europe where they've considered expanding before. London, Berlin, Paris, Barcelona/Madrid, Rome? Really take your pick.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 10:01:15 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

The real dirty way to do it is to set it up in cities where they're considering moving a franchise in each of those regions.  Definitely Vegas, maybe St Louis or Kansas City in the "Central" and on the east I think they're pretty oversaturated so they should just do one in Europe where they've considered expanding before. London, Berlin, Paris, Barcelona/Madrid, Rome? Really take your pick.

TP: Rather ingenious thinking, your real name wouldn't be Sam Hinkie, would it? 

Found this wiki article on the Summer League that some might find interesting. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Summer_League