Author Topic: The Lakers cannot fathom why Kevin Durant doesn't want to meet with them  (Read 8201 times)

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
It bodes well for non "glamorous" markets that Durant would shun the Lakers. I am surprised, even if only to raise the pressure on the others although the others will give him whatever he wants- at least what they can with the cap room.

Him putting us on the list as well as Howard shows how far we have come as potential landing spot. Even a very small chance at Durant is worth its weight in gold.

Watch the Lakers go after Butler eventually as a second option to Durant..or Cousins(god forbid that happens). I guess they can wait till next year for Westbrook though.

Shows how much Brad Stevens is respected.    TO over come the Cold weather of Boston.    Which will always be last to LA, TX, Miami and West Coast Teams...
Diggles

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Lakers do have the advantage of being able to bring another max contract along with Durant and still might have room for some other mid-level players, without affecting the roster in any manner (and still have some very strong young talent which could grow into a force or could be traded for a force right now).  Heck they have the pieces that Durant could sign there and then they could trade for Westbrook (Russell and Ingram) and they would still have room to sign someone like DeRozan (and still have Randle and Clarkson).  And unlike OKC, the Lakers will go into luxury tax range to ensure a winning team.  So if Durant and Westbrook like playing together, they could do so pretty easily in L.A. and not be on a small market team with a small market budget.

So he's going to go from sharing touches with one ball-dominant, non-shooting guard to two of them in Westbrook and Derozan, neither of which are above average defenders? I don't see that happening.

Westbrook not an above average defender?    Not sure you are correct on that.    Derozan I wouldnt consider him below average.     

They are no Bradley/Smart... but much better than IT.

I'd call Westbrook average, but it's mostly due to his athleticism rather than actual defensive prowess. I'd also say Derozan is an average defender, too, which would be a problem when you combine two average defenders together, since both of them have largely played with high-level defenders in Sefalosha, Lowry, and Roberson most of their careers. Sure, they're better than IT, because he's a below average defender due to his size limitations.

I think the more pressing issue would be on offense. Neither of them are good shooters, and they both require large amounts of time with the ball to be effective offensively, leaving Durant with hardly any time or touches at all for a player his caliber. It's hard to find a less ideal star pairing to put alongside Durant.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
"Shelburne: Durant needs to give Lakers meeting out of respect"

You cannot make these things up  ;D

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=16623825

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
He's meeting with us because of Danny and CBS, Fakers don't have that kind of combo.

They got Luke Walton with the 39-4 coaching record, Kobe Bryant, their 16 championship banners, and the young studs of Russell, Randle, and Ingram.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
He's meeting with us because of Danny and CBS, Fakers don't have that kind of combo.

They got Luke Walton with the 39-4 coaching record, Kobe Bryant, their 16 championship banners, and the young studs of Russell, Randle, and Ingram.

KD might want to win a championship soon.

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

walton is a fraud. ML carr could have coached that team to a 39-4 record.

the best thing about kobe is that he is retired. just ask lamarcus aldridge.

the banners are nice. but as long as jim buss owns the team they're unlikely to get another. guy is a clown.

and the young studs? russell and randle led the lakers to the 2nd-worst record in the league last year. their defense is pathetic. people harp on okafor's d. they should watch randle first, he is worse.

offensively, at no point has anyone on that team shown that they can play team basketball. watching the lakers reminds me of 1st-grade basketball, everyone just shoots it as soon as it touches their hands. and ingram, though he does have good potential, has proved nothing, and is currently a stick figure.

so let's pump the brakes on the lakers for now, there's a reason durant has no interest in them. the media hype machine isn't going to save them this time.

ESPN's Shelbourne: KD needs to meet with the Lakers "out of respect"
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 10:50:17 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:16623825

Thought I would post this to see if you agree with Ramona that KD needs to meet with the Lakers out of respect, due to their storied history, etc. etc.

Funny, I don't recall her or anyone else at ESPN saying in prior years that the top free agents need to meet with the Celtics "out of respect."

Curious to get your comments.  8)

Re: ESPN's Shelbourne: KD needs to meet with the Lakers "out of respect"
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 10:52:03 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Shelbourne is an idiot. Nobody owes the Lakers crap.  ::)

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 10:52:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
What a joke of a comment.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 10:52:20 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
No, Ramona.  He doesn't.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 10:55:39 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The other day on ESPN she said that Brandon Ingram has a 9 ft wing span. Tmac was like what are you talking about lol.

This woman is a moron

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 10:55:41 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I live in L.A. and am constantly amazed at the arrogance of the Lakers and their fans. Reminds me a lot of Yankees fans right after George Steinbrenner died. The glory days are over.

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 10:56:18 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
No he (expletive)-ing does not. That is ridiculous.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 10:57:18 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
What is this? The Godfather? What are they going to do? Make him an offer he can't refuse?