Author Topic: The Lakers cannot fathom why Kevin Durant doesn't want to meet with them  (Read 8164 times)

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Indeed, such a mystery  ;D

“I can’t imagine Durant wouldn’t talk to us,” the source said. “That would shock me.”
The Lakers believe they have a pitch that will appeal to Durant and other free agents, said the source with knowledge of the team’s thinking. With the ability to clear more than $60 million in cap space, they will attempt to sell stars on the potential of joining the Lakers with another top-tier free agent, the source said.
“We want to pitch guys on combinations, as opposed to just one guy,” the source said. “We’ll say to a guy, ‘Who do you want to play with? We’ve got the room to go get him.'”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lakers-cannot-fathom-why-kevin-021851301.html

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
The lakers pitch involves this these days:

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think he stays in OKC but kind of surprising that he wouldn't at least take a meeting with them even if he's not interested in going.  I wonder if it's some subtle shot at stephen a smith who reported earlier (and has since backtracked) that durant was strongly considering the lakers.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
That's too bad LA.  How about you go ahead and blow all your money on DeRozan & filler, instead?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
He'll get a meeting with them, count on it.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
He'll get a meeting with them, count on it.

I'm not so sure. Durant doesn't seem to be the type of guy to just take a meeting with LA because they're LA. Even with that cap space, they just simply don't have the supporting cast to put a competent squad around any stars they might be able to attain.

That's the genius of Danny's plan, though. At least with his smart contracts we just need the stars via free agency to be a legit contender.

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I don't know, if he takes a meeting with Miami isn't he taking a meeting just to be taking one?  I mean they are a mess right now.  If Durant went there he'd have no idea of the roster he'd be getting.  Whiteside might go, Wade might do the same, Bosh might never play again but continue to drag their cap down.  No way he goes there.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
He's meeting with us because of Danny and CBS, Fakers don't have that kind of combo.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I don't know, if he takes a meeting with Miami isn't he taking a meeting just to be taking one?  I mean they are a mess right now.  If Durant went there he'd have no idea of the roster he'd be getting.  Whiteside might go, Wade might do the same, Bosh might never play again but continue to drag their cap down.  No way he goes there.

They at least were a top-3 team record-wise in the East last year, not the second worst team in the NBA. They also have a proven coach (Walton isn't proven yet) and a top notch management team headed by Riley, which are both reasons to consider Miami over LA. But I agree with you, he won't go there, but they at least had enough to garner his attention.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Lakers do have the advantage of being able to bring another max contract along with Durant and still might have room for some other mid-level players, without affecting the roster in any manner (and still have some very strong young talent which could grow into a force or could be traded for a force right now).  Heck they have the pieces that Durant could sign there and then they could trade for Westbrook (Russell and Ingram) and they would still have room to sign someone like DeRozan (and still have Randle and Clarkson).  And unlike OKC, the Lakers will go into luxury tax range to ensure a winning team.  So if Durant and Westbrook like playing together, they could do so pretty easily in L.A. and not be on a small market team with a small market budget.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Lakers do have the advantage of being able to bring another max contract along with Durant and still might have room for some other mid-level players, without affecting the roster in any manner (and still have some very strong young talent which could grow into a force or could be traded for a force right now).  Heck they have the pieces that Durant could sign there and then they could trade for Westbrook (Russell and Ingram) and they would still have room to sign someone like DeRozan (and still have Randle and Clarkson).  And unlike OKC, the Lakers will go into luxury tax range to ensure a winning team.  So if Durant and Westbrook like playing together, they could do so pretty easily in L.A. and not be on a small market team with a small market budget.

So he's going to go from sharing touches with one ball-dominant, non-shooting guard to two of them in Westbrook and Derozan, neither of which are above average defenders? I don't see that happening.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/748177951934582786

"Despite their hopes, Lakers will not get a meeting with KD, sources say."

It's Broussard, but it seems to reaffirm that they simply just won't get a meeting.

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
It bodes well for non "glamorous" markets that Durant would shun the Lakers. I am surprised, even if only to raise the pressure on the others although the others will give him whatever he wants- at least what they can with the cap room.

Him putting us on the list as well as Howard shows how far we have come as potential landing spot. Even a very small chance at Durant is worth its weight in gold.

Watch the Lakers go after Butler eventually as a second option to Durant..or Cousins(god forbid that happens). I guess they can wait till next year for Westbrook though.

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46

So he's going to go from sharing touches with one ball-dominant, non-shooting guard to two of them in Westbrook and Derozan, neither of which are above average defenders? I don't see that happening.

Westbrook not an above average defender?    Not sure you are correct on that.    Derozan I wouldnt consider him below average.     

They are no Bradley/Smart... but much better than IT.   
Diggles