Author Topic: Thought Experiment: Wade + Pau on 1 year deals  (Read 1487 times)

Thought Experiment: Wade + Pau on 1 year deals
« on: June 29, 2016, 01:56:02 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm not saying it's at all desirable.  I'm not saying it's remotely likely.

I saw this article today:  http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/242457/Dwyane-Wade-Prepared-To-Discuss-Contract-With-Rival-Teams

Essentially, because Miami only has 40 mil in cap space and might need to spend max money to bring back Whiteside, they might be asking Wade to take a pay cut he's not prepared to take.  The article says Wade is prepared to go to rival teams.

I'm not at all advocating for this. I'm just purely curious what you guys think would happen if Boston was like "Heck with it... Plan D - use our 50 mil in cap space to give Wade and Pau Gasol 1 year max contracts."

Out (Renounced):  Amir, Jonas, Sully, Turner, Zeller
In:  Wade and Pau Gasol

Wade last season:  19 points, 4.6 assists, 4.1 rebounds, 1.1 steals with 46%/16%/79% shooting in 30.5mpg

Pau last season:  16.5 points, 11 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 2 blocks with 47%/35%/79% shooting in 31.8mpg.

Neither can shoot threes.  Both are wicked old.  How would it help or hurt our team next season?  Assuming it was a 1 year deal, we wouldn't have to worry about long-term impact.  A year from now maybe you let them both walk or get them both to take major pay cuts as you target the 2017 free agent class.

Re: Thought Experiment: Wade + Pau on 1 year deals
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 02:58:37 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd be for it. I think Wade would much rather be in a system like BS' to finish out his career. The older you get the less ISO ball you can play. Think Wade has shown he can get hot in the mid range game and could really make teams pay while taking advantage of aggressive doubles of IT or Pau. Pau offers post passing and scoring high or low post. He is also great to mentor guys. He knows how to pick his spots just like Wade. Both former champions would help get the C's deeper into a playoff run.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 03:00:00 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Barf.  You've outdone yourself this time, man, lol ;D.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 03:04:38 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I am perfectly fine with it. A playoff injury for LeBron or Kyrie, and who knows what happens?

In fact, if we fail to sign Durant and Howard, my preference is to blow our cap space on one year guys and reload next summer. That seems like the reasonable plan C. Only Durant and Howard can make us championship contenders, so why go all-in with anybody else? Whiteside, Barnes, et al are fool's gold.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 03:53:04 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Yuck not Wade

I'm sleep lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 08:10:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Wade won't come here even for a 1 year max.  If he leaves Miami he will leave to place to play with his friends or "home" to Chicago. 

Even if Wade would come here, I don't see the point in signing him.  He plays at a very deep position and we would give up far too much interior depth to make it happen.

Gasol on the other hand would be a great signing and I'd be all for that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 08:35:46 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Just say no to Wade, don't want him.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:43:14 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
We would probably have to trade one of Smart or Bradley so there is room in the guard rotation, and it may be only 1 year for a declining Wade.  I'd rather load up on 2 bigs on 1 year deals if we strike out elsewhere. Maybe just keep Amir, and sign Gasol for an inflated 1 year deal.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 08:46:09 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I can't stand Wade or Howard, but they can both help a team so I'd take either at this point.  I still love Gasol as a player.  Any one of those guys would have to make Durant think a little bit harder about coming to Boston, I would think.  Even if he doesn't like them personally, players seem to want to play with multiple time allstars.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 11:01:28 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Wade would need to come off the bench. Bradley is a better player for this team as the starting SG next to Isaiah and Crowder than Wade is. Wade would not accept a bench role so this would be a deal breaker. If Wade did accept a 6th man role, Wade would be the 6th man of the year. A major weapon off Boston's bench and a big upgrade over E.Turner. Wade would also hurt Smart's development and Jaylen Brown's development by taking valuable minutes away from them.

If Wade were shoehorned into the starting lineup and Bradley came off the bench, the starting lineup would get worse but the bench would improve with Bradley and it would probably still be a net positive for the team. Either way, Wade should push Boston to 50-52 wins.

Losing Amir and Jerebko would be painful. At least one of those guys would be needed to stay and play alongside Pau Gasol. Pau is just too bad defensively and Boston's bigs do not offer much defense outside of those two. The idea of Pau + Olynyk together is scary for our defense. It would make for a beautiful offense though. Albeit at the expense of the team's hard working defensive mentality.

Ideally, if Pau were coming in, I'd like him to come off the bench as well. I think his days as a starter are passing him by. Only in a few cases is he still a quality starter. I thought Pau hurt Chicago as much as he helped them last year and that Joakim Noah was the better player and unfairly benched in Pau's favour.

With Wade and Pau both, I think the team stands still. I do not like them together. Too old. Too slow. Too vulnerable defensively. So while I think they improve the offense, they also take shots away from others and hurt the defense. That is why I think the team stands still.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 11:14:41 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I seriously doubt Wade wants to sign 1 year deals. I think he wants multi-year, While I'll be open to signing Wade, but he isn't helping us get over the top any time soon.  We definitely won't be going anywhere with just a one year deal with him and Gasol. Considering his age, I am not even sure after his 1 year deal is up, it will attract any FA