Author Topic: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard  (Read 35143 times)

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard
« Reply #240 on: July 01, 2016, 03:44:20 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
With the Mozgov and Noah deals, I'm on board with 3/75 for Dwight at this point...and could be talked into 4/100.

I'm nearly ready for 4/120 back loaded.. Oh wait that's the max.

I'm not sure Dwight is a good fit.. Currently. Although Stevens is pretty good at designing offense. It'll be interesting to see how he incorporates post play into read and react
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #241 on: July 01, 2016, 04:10:51 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
If Mozgov is worth $16 million/year, Howard is worth twice that.

We need to spend at the floor, so if we miss out on Durant and Horford, we might as well front-load a contract with Dwight to get up to the floor. Then use the rest of our space on one year deals and pursue another max player next offseason (Durant or settle for Hayward).

Give Dwight the max but front-load the contract. Earning interest earlier should make a front-loaded max the most appealing option to Dwight whereas it is most attractive to us because his salary as a percentage of the cap will go down over time.

Get it done, Danny. Get it done.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 04:33:31 AM by meangreenmachine »

« Reply #242 on: July 01, 2016, 04:23:23 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

We need to spend at the floor, so if we miss out on Durant and Horford, we might as well front-load a contract with Dwight to get up to the floor. Then use the rest of our space on one year deals and pursue another max player next offseason (Durant or settle for Hayward).

Give Dwight the max but front-load the contract. Earning interest earlier should make a front-loaded contract max the most appealing option to Dwight whereas it is most attractive to us because his salary as a percentage of the cap will go down over time.

I actually really like this idea.

Salary isn't that big a worry now so much as it is 3 or 4 years from now when the cap may drop again.  Front-loading deals means we're less likely to be caught in a hole when that time comes.

Also helps us against the injury risk, as Dwight seems pretty ok now.

Sign me up!

« Reply #243 on: July 01, 2016, 04:35:34 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

Give Dwight the max but front-load the contract. Earning interest earlier should make a front-loaded contract max the most appealing option to Dwight whereas it is most attractive to us because his salary as a percentage of the cap will go down over time.

Salary isn't that big a worry now so much as it is 3 or 4 years from now when the cap may drop again.  Front-loading deals means we're less likely to be caught in a hole when that time comes.

Sign me up!

Here's the best part: I've got a feeling Dwight is gonna have his best season since leaving Orlando. The dude takes care of his body like no other and he is going to seize the opportunity to play somewhere that will use him properly for the first time since Orlando. Dude is poised for Comeback Player of the Year and may, under the right circumstances, be in contention for DPOY and MVP.

« Reply #244 on: July 01, 2016, 04:48:40 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

Sign me up!

Here's the best part: I've got a feeling Dwight is gonna have his best season since leaving Orlando. The dude takes care of his body like no other and he is going to seize the opportunity to play somewhere that will use him properly for the first time since Orlando. Dude is poised for Comeback Player of the Year and may, under the right circumstances, be in contention for DPOY and MVP.

Definitely can happen in Boston judging our past and the way Brad relate to his players.

« Reply #245 on: July 01, 2016, 04:49:19 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Say what you want about Dwight dude still has elite talent on some levels. I'm calling it now if we land him he's an All Star under Brad.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #246 on: July 01, 2016, 07:06:22 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Brad is our biggest weapon. Every player looks better with Brad as his head coach. Including Howard.

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight
« Reply #247 on: July 01, 2016, 12:22:07 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
If we strike out on the Durant+Horford combo I'd be happy to give Dwight a 1+1 max and then ink his best buddy Parsons to a max to play the 4. The defense on this team would be unreal and adding Parsons as a 3 point threat (career 38% 3pt shooter) would be help one of our biggest weaknesses. Try and move Young and Rozier for a future first. Sign Ekpe Udoh to a vet min. as depth.

Thomas/Smart/Jackson
Bradley/Hunter
Crowder/Brown
Parsons/Mickey/Bentil
Howard/Olynyk/Udoh/Zizic

Sigh, Blazers must be reading our forums. They stole my idea  :'(  ;)

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/242542/Blazers-Hope-To-Sign-Both-Chandler-Parsons-Dwight-Howard

« Reply #248 on: July 01, 2016, 02:53:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojVerticalNBA
Atlanta Hawks and Dwight Howard made a strong connection in meeting today, sources tells @TheVertical. There's traction there.

Probably planning for Horford leaving as well...

« Reply #249 on: July 01, 2016, 02:55:38 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Atlanta Hawks and Dwight Howard made a strong connection in meeting today, sources tells @TheVertical. There's traction there.

Thats ok. If we end up with Horford i'd be happier. I view Dwight as the backup plan to him. Hopefully with adding Al that would entice mr Durant a bit more.

« Reply #250 on: July 01, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Thats ok. If we end up with Horford i'd be happier. I view Dwight as the backup plan to him. Hopefully with adding Al that would entice mr Durant a bit more.

I was dreaming for a twin tower front court of Horford and Howard.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #251 on: July 01, 2016, 02:58:40 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

What does "strong connection" mean?  Is Dwight going to be a surprise entrant on "The Bachelorette?"

Mike

« Reply #252 on: July 01, 2016, 03:02:49 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I read on some ESPN article that the Hawks wanna pair Horford and Howard. But that leaves millsap at 3. Is that even possible?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #253 on: July 01, 2016, 03:04:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

What does "strong connection" mean?  Is Dwight going to be a surprise entrant on "The Bachelorette?"

Mike

ATL gave Dwight a rose.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #254 on: July 01, 2016, 03:10:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

I read on some ESPN article that the Hawks wanna pair Horford and Howard. But that leaves millsap at 3. Is that even possible?

Nope. First, Milsap can't play the three full-time, which they tried last year with Splitter. They sucked together, so Splitter started coming off the bench and they played better. Second, I don't think they can make the space for both of them, especially if they are trying to keep Baze, too.