Author Topic: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard  (Read 35152 times)

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard
« Reply #225 on: June 30, 2016, 11:59:25 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
The Vertical guys talking highly of Howard. Saying he doesn't deserve the bad rep he's got right now and would thrive in a good environment.

« Reply #226 on: July 01, 2016, 12:02:10 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
The Vertical guys talking highly of Howard. Saying he doesn't deserve the bad rep he's got right now and would thrive in a good environment.

He might. Still wouldn't give him more than a 1+1 deal.

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight
« Reply #227 on: July 01, 2016, 12:02:37 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Calvin Watkins
ESPN Staff Writer

When Dwight Howard starts having his free agent meetings on Friday he'll be seeking a contract starting at $24 million a season according to a source. Howard is expected to conduct his meetings in his hometown of Atlanta. Boston and Atlanta have secured the first meetings with the center. Portland and Charlotte have also expressed interest in Howard, who declined a player option with the Rockets at $23.2 million.

Looks like he's aware no one is going to give him the $30 million MAX. Those $5 million are important since it gives us better leeway to keep players on our roster (like say Jerebko) and still fit 2 max contracts if we have legit interest in Dwight.
I'd give him $24 a year on a one plus one deal. Not really comfortable paying him that much for a longer period of time.

Agreed.

$48 for 2 is OK. No longer.

Why ? I don't think you get him on that, & that's a loss. He's just a perfect fit for this squad and makes us that much better. I give him whatever it takes for a year or two. 24, 25, 26, 27, you name it.

He's a heckuva get. Exactly what the teams been needing. Rim protector, Rebounder, Defender....all at an all star level.

Completely disagree. Howard's career is in clear decline, as is his health. You cannot commit significant cap space over the long term to that.

It would be the modern day equivalent of the day the Celtics traded for Gin Baker.

Howard may need his minutes managed but the decline in his production is almost entirely because he spent the last four years playing for teams who refused to get him the ball.

Mike

« Reply #228 on: July 01, 2016, 12:22:15 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

He might. Still wouldn't give him more than a 1+1 deal.

Well, steel yourself, because if we get him it'll probably be at least 3.

« Reply #229 on: July 01, 2016, 12:30:01 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I've officially reached the point of no return -- will be upset if we don't sign Dwight.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #230 on: July 01, 2016, 12:56:58 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'm all in on Dwight kind of would like him more than Horford.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #231 on: July 01, 2016, 01:07:26 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Calvin Watkins
ESPN Staff Writer

When Dwight Howard starts having his free agent meetings on Friday he'll be seeking a contract starting at $24 million a season according to a source. Howard is expected to conduct his meetings in his hometown of Atlanta. Boston and Atlanta have secured the first meetings with the center. Portland and Charlotte have also expressed interest in Howard, who declined a player option with the Rockets at $23.2 million.

Looks like he's aware no one is going to give him the $30 million MAX. Those $5 million are important since it gives us better leeway to keep players on our roster (like say Jerebko) and still fit 2 max contracts if we have legit interest in Dwight.
I'd give him $24 a year on a one plus one deal. Not really comfortable paying him that much for a longer period of time.

Agreed.

Why ? I don't think you get him on that, & that's a loss. He's just a perfect fit for this squad and makes us that much better. I give him whatever it takes for a year or two. 24, 25, 26, 27, you name it.

He's a heckuva get. Exactly what the teams been needing. Rim protector, Rebounder, Defender....all at an all star level.

Completely disagree. Howard's career is in clear decline, as is his health. You cannot commit significant cap space over the long term to that.

It would be the modern day equivalent of the day the Celtics traded for Gin Baker.

This is just blatantly incorrect.

Dwight has played < 70 games in a season only twice in his 12 year NBA career.   Of those two seasons one of them barely counts because it was 2011-12, when the season was shortened to 66 games due to an NBA lockout.  Over his career he has played in 91% of possible games.

His recent health issues have also been somewhat overblown.

He's played 70+ games in three of his past four seasons, and he's averaged 32 minutes per game over those past four years.  Over that time his scoring and rebounding rates have been up there amount the best of his career.

In a recent interview he said his back was fixed with the surgery and that he has no further health problems - given the number of games and minutes he's been playing since, and how effective he's remained, I believe him.

I'm not saying that there ISN'T a health risk in signing Dwight - I'm just saying it's not nearly as major as people seem to like to claim.  In fact Kevin Durant has missed 67 games over the past four seasons.  Al Horord has missed 67 also.  Dwight has missed 69.  His health concerns are massively overblown, and he's no more a health risk then Durant or Horford.

As for his 'decline' - well he's not quite the defensive force he was in his younger days when he was a three-time defensive player of the year.  But then you wouldn't expect him to be given that he's now 30 years old and going into his 13th NBA season.  Al Horford isn't the defensive player once was either.  Nor is Lebron James.  Nor is Joakhim Noah.  That's what happens when guys reach that ~30 age mark, there is always going to be some part of your game that is going to drop off a little.

BUT Dwight still remains an extremely effective (and at times, dominant) defensive player, an elite rebounder, a very good rim protector, and he remains one of the most efficient scorers in history.

Also unlike some players (e.g. Vin Baker, Sullinger) you also never have to worry about him not taking care of his body either - the guy is strong like Shaq and as ripped as Ray Allen - up there with Karl Malone as one of the most impressive physical specimens this league has seen, and you don't stay in that type of shape without taking VERY good care of your body.

Hell Dwight is so physically impressive that he makes Lebron James look 'regular' by comparison, and that's saying something.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:40:41 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #232 on: July 01, 2016, 01:10:33 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
With the Mozgov and Noah deals, I'm on board with 3/75 for Dwight at this point...and could be talked into 4/100.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #233 on: July 01, 2016, 01:12:00 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Calvin Watkins
ESPN Staff Writer

Agreed.

Dwight Howard has played 70+ games in three of his past four seasons (and has averaged 32 minutes per game over those past four years).

Over that time his scoring and rebounding rates have been up there amount the best of his career.

He's not quite the defensive force he once was when in his prime, but that's fair enough considering that in his prime he was a three time defensive player of the year.  He still remains a very effective defensive player, a dominant rebounder, a very good rim protector, and one of the most efficient scorers in history.

As is almost everything else CoachBo says here
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #234 on: July 01, 2016, 01:41:20 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Dwight Howard meeting w/4 teams, 2 being Atl &amp; Boston. He will hold meetings in Atl July 1, then in Las Vegas July 2, says a league source
-Broussard
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #235 on: July 01, 2016, 02:21:22 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Dwight Howard meeting w/4 teams, 2 being Atl &amp; Boston. He will hold meetings in Atl July 1, then in Las Vegas July 2, says a league source
-Broussard

Sounds like the makings of a shotgun marriage, lol ;D. And besides, who goes from Atlanta to Vegas in a day?  Strange travel plans.

« Reply #236 on: July 01, 2016, 02:39:25 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Dwight has played < 70 games in a season only twice in his 12 year NBA career.   Of those two seasons one of them barely counts because it was 2011-12, when the season was shortened to 66 games due to an NBA lockout.  Over his career he has played in 91% of possible games.

His recent health issues have also been somewhat overblown.

He's played 70+ games in three of his past four seasons, and he's averaged 32 minutes per game over those past four years.  Over that time his scoring and rebounding rates have been up there amount the best of his career.

In a recent interview he said his back was fixed with the surgery and that he has no further health problems - given the number of games and minutes he's been playing since, and how effective he's remained, I believe him.

I'm not saying that there ISN'T a health risk in signing Dwight - I'm just saying it's not nearly as major as people seem to like to claim.  In fact Kevin Durant has missed 67 games over the past four seasons.  Al Horord has missed 67 also.  Dwight has missed 69.  His health concerns are massively overblown, and he's no more a health risk then Durant or Horford.

As for his 'decline' - well he's not quite the defensive force he was in his younger days when he was a three-time defensive player of the year.  But then you wouldn't expect him to be given that he's now 30 years old and going into his 13th NBA season.  Al Horford isn't the defensive player once was either.  Nor is Lebron James.  Nor is Joakhim Noah.  That's what happens when guys reach that ~30 age mark, there is always going to be some part of your game that is going to drop off a little.

BUT Dwight still remains an extremely effective (and at times, dominant) defensive player, an elite rebounder, a very good rim protector, and he remains one of the most efficient scorers in history.

Also unlike some players (e.g. Vin Baker, Sullinger) you also never have to worry about him not taking care of his body either - the guy is strong like Shaq and as ripped as Ray Allen - up there with Karl Malone as one of the most impressive physical specimens this league has seen, and you don't stay in that type of shape without taking VERY good care of your body.

Hell Dwight is so physically impressive that he makes Lebron James look 'regular' by comparison, and that's saying something.

I wouldn't say that concerns over his back and the surgery are overblown.  On the contrary, back problems are a huge issue, imo, especially because we're talking about a guy who needed to have a procedure to fix the problem and hasn't quite been the same since.

Additionally, in regards to him being one of the most efficient scorers in history, that's because of the number of dunks that have come over the course of his career as a result of his athletic gifts and physical tools.  If you actually make him have to score reliably in the post via moves, he's pretty pathetic, lol.  He's kind of like a more well developed Shaq, that way, in that at least Howard has thrown in jump hooks with either hand, while I don't ever remember seeing Shaq use his left to score at all.  Regardless, and in spite of his superior passing skills, Shaq, like Dwight, did not age well because his game was based almost entirely on physical dominance as opposed to skill.  Sure, he added that Robert Parish spin to the baseline, eventually, but he was never a good post player, imo.  At least Howard takes care of his body and is by far the better defender and rebounder, but still, I'm not interested in Dwight.  The thought of him on the Celtics = barf.  If we were seriously interested in a center, we could have had Whiteside for peanuts two years ago.  Ugh.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:21:53 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #237 on: July 01, 2016, 02:41:06 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'll just say his FG% last year was the highest of his career.

« Reply #238 on: July 01, 2016, 02:47:48 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I've officially reached the point of no return -- will be upset if we don't sign Dwight.

I'm with ya. It's a huge get with big time impact. A 5-man who fits perfectly on this team.

I want his defensive rebounding & rim protection. It's exactly what the C's need at his position.

« Reply #239 on: July 01, 2016, 03:42:18 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I wouldn't say that concerns over his back and the surgery are overblown.  On the contrary, back issues are a huge issue, imo, especially because we're talking about a guy who needed to have a procedure to fix the problem and hasn't quite been the same since.

So is KD's injury - it is a very high risk injury, but that wouldn't stop us throwing a long term deal at him.

Horford's injuries are pretty high risk too - two torn pectorals, I believe it was?

Kevin Love had some concerning injuries too, but Cleveland still traded the world for him, and then gave him an overblown extension. 

Fact is that the top three free agents this year all have a high health risk - do we just ignore them all? 

I say the issues are overblown not because I don't think they are issues, but because people are treating Howard's history as if it's a great deal riskier then that of other mac-salary free agent options - it isn't.  They are just as risky...or at the very least not far off.

Additionally, in regards to him being one of the most efficient scorers in history, that's because of the number of dunks that have come over the course of his career as a result of his athletic gifts and physical tools.  If you actually make him have to score reliably in the post via moves, he's pretty pathetic, lol.  He's kind of like a more well developed Shaq, that way, in that at least Howard has thrown in jump hooks with either hand, while I don't ever remember seeing Shaq use his left to score at all.  Regardless, and in spite of his superior passing skills, Shaq, like Dwight, did not age well because his game was based almost entirely on physical dominance as opposed to skill.  Sure, he added that Robert Parish spin to the baseline, eventually, but he was never a good post player, imo.  At least Howard takes care of his body and is by far the better defender and rebounder, but still, I'm not interested in Dwight.  The thought of him on the Celtics = barf.  If we were seriously interested in a center, we could have had Whiteside for peanuts two years ago.  Ugh.

True, but also irrelevant.

Dwight Howard is one of the most efficient scorers in NBA history - it is a statistical fact that very few historical players (if any) can convert field goal attempts into points as effectively as Dwight does.  Dwight is giving you around 1.6 points on average for every field goal attempt he takes - that number is unheard of. 

If you have a guy who is getting you points with THAT type of efficiency, on a year-by-year basis, then the method by which he delivers those points is ultimately irrelevant.  Fact is that when Dwight has the ball in a position to score, nothing short of a hard foul is gong to stop him.  If you do foul him then you risk giving up points AND you also risk putting a key player in foul trouble.

Unless you take your star players out of the game so that you can have your scrubs use up their fouls...but if you do that then Howard is already winning, because he's forcing you to pull your best players off the court, and he's dictating how you're going to play your game.

Dwight might not be the most versatile / skilled inside scorer in the NBA, but he IS still one of the most unstoppable.  You don't really need fancy post moves all that often if you are 6'11" beast with a 265 pounds of pure muscle, a 7'5" wingspan and shoulders as wide as a truck.  More often then not, you're pretty much just going to have your way with people.  You either bump them out of the way like they are a puny insect, or just just shoot straight over them.