Author Topic: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard  (Read 35120 times)

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight
« Reply #210 on: June 30, 2016, 09:21:21 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Calvin Watkins
ESPN Staff Writer

When Dwight Howard starts having his free agent meetings on Friday he'll be seeking a contract starting at $24 million a season according to a source. Howard is expected to conduct his meetings in his hometown of Atlanta. Boston and Atlanta have secured the first meetings with the center. Portland and Charlotte have also expressed interest in Howard, who declined a player option with the Rockets at $23.2 million.

Looks like he's aware no one is going to give him the $30 million MAX. Those $5 million are important since it gives us better leeway to keep players on our roster (like say Jerebko) and still fit 2 max contracts if we have legit interest in Dwight.

Thanks for that.

Things getting SUPER interesting now. Howard is no doubt getting super frustrated with his public perception and is being forced to make smarter choices (look for a defense-first team, be willing to compromise on cash for team flexibility).
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard
« Reply #211 on: June 30, 2016, 09:31:36 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Wow, I wonder how far from $24M we might be able to get him down.

It's going to be interesting to see what Atlanta does. If he's looking for $24M per year, then that's actually cheaper than Horford is going to get. If they're wary about giving him that fifth year and Howard is a little cheaper for four years, then they just might let Horford walk, which would work out perfectly for us since I think they're the main competition against us with him.

« Reply #212 on: June 30, 2016, 09:34:41 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
If we can negotiate him down to $80 million / 4 years, it may work. Provided the brass is convinced he has a chance of getting his head screwed on straight.

Effectively very little difference between 80 and 100: they both fit under the cap with another max deal. Just means you have no hope of resigning ET...

PS. I hope Turner signs with GSW after Barnes leaves.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #213 on: June 30, 2016, 09:57:51 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
If we can negotiate him down to $80 million / 4 years, it may work. Provided the brass is convinced he has a chance of getting his head screwed on straight.

I actually think Dwight would thrive here surrounded by consummate professionals and high-character individuals in a stable environment. He didn't really have either of those in Houston or LA, and it just exacerbated his issues.

« Reply #214 on: June 30, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I actually think Dwight would thrive here surrounded by consummate professionals and high-character individuals in a stable environment. He didn't really have either of those in Houston or LA, and it just exacerbated his issues.

I think so too. Dwight is also finally a bit more mature. With the right guys around him, he could finally be the player people always hoped he would be. At least until his body gives out. I would take the chance on him. He's the best option out there for a center.

« Reply #215 on: June 30, 2016, 10:01:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
They better be prepared to take on at LEAST three MAX guys to help him.

The cap goes out the window when your promising KD a ring.   You spend what's needed to get who you need to win......

That's what LeBron did ........shopped till he got the players all got Max contracts

« Reply #216 on: June 30, 2016, 10:05:18 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Calvin Watkins
ESPN Staff Writer

When Dwight Howard starts having his free agent meetings on Friday he'll be seeking a contract starting at $24 million a season according to a source. Howard is expected to conduct his meetings in his hometown of Atlanta. Boston and Atlanta have secured the first meetings with the center. Portland and Charlotte have also expressed interest in Howard, who declined a player option with the Rockets at $23.2 million.

Looks like he's aware no one is going to give him the $30 million MAX. Those $5 million are important since it gives us better leeway to keep players on our roster (like say Jerebko) and still fit 2 max contracts if we have legit interest in Dwight.
I'd give him $24 a year on a one plus one deal. Not really comfortable paying him that much for a longer period of time.

Agreed.

$48 for 2 is OK. No longer.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #217 on: June 30, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

If we're going to whiff on the top guys I'd like to see his contract get front-loaded IT style.  Disproportionately take it out of this year's space.

« Reply #218 on: June 30, 2016, 10:10:18 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Calvin Watkins
ESPN Staff Writer

I'd give him $24 a year on a one plus one deal. Not really comfortable paying him that much for a longer period of time.

Agreed.

Why ? I don't think you get him on that, & that's a loss. He's just a perfect fit for this squad and makes us that much better. I give him whatever it takes for a year or two. 24, 25, 26, 27, you name it.

He's a heckuva get. Exactly what the teams been needing. Rim protector, Rebounder, Defender....all at an all star level.

« Reply #219 on: June 30, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

If we're going to whiff on the top guys I'd like to see his contract get front-loaded IT style.  Disproportionately take it out of this year's space.

Would it be legal to give him his full max of $31 million this year, then $15-16 for 2 years?  If so, that would be a decent option.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #220 on: June 30, 2016, 10:24:12 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Calvin Watkins
ESPN Staff Writer

Agreed.

Why ? I don't think you get him on that, & that's a loss. He's just a perfect fit for this squad and makes us that much better. I give him whatever it takes for a year or two. 24, 25, 26, 27, you name it.

He's a heckuva get. Exactly what the teams been needing. Rim protector, Rebounder, Defender....all at an all star level.

Completely disagree. Howard's career is in clear decline, as is his health. You cannot commit significant cap space over the long term to that.

It would be the modern day equivalent of the day the Celtics traded for Gin Baker.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #221 on: June 30, 2016, 10:29:52 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Calvin Watkins
ESPN Staff Writer

Agreed.

Completely disagree. Howard's career is in clear decline, as is his health. You cannot commit significant cap space over the long term to that.

It would be the modern day equivalent of the day the Celtics traded for Gin Baker.

3yr/20 mil per , player option 3rd year

That's the longest I would commit to.

« Reply #222 on: June 30, 2016, 11:03:07 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Howard had a pretty good year last year playing for the Houston Hardens. Better rebounder than Horford; bigger,better inside. The word is he wants $24 million.

What's amusing is OKC is desperate to move Kanter so they can sign Horford. They don't want Horford for Horford, they want him for KD.  Are they nervous about the Celtics?  :laugh:

« Reply #223 on: June 30, 2016, 11:08:59 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Give him whatever he wants for two years. He will help the Cs win games. He will help raise the status of the Cs and still leaves room for another Max FA.

If Cs can nail this down prior to Durant meeting, that's about the best shot we could hope for. If it's after the Dirant meeting, then chances are we cant entice Durant and frankly then slims he hope for Durant. He'd probably sign with ATL in that case.

Then we are on to Mozgov.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #224 on: June 30, 2016, 11:52:46 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Calvin Watkins
ESPN Staff Writer

Agreed.

Not even close to Baker. Baker was never one of the top rim protectors or top defensive rebounders when he came here. Howard was, just last year. No comparison.