Author Topic: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard  (Read 35129 times)

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2016, 07:46:38 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The key to signing Howard and/or Horford is to make sure, no matter what, that you still have room next year to add at least another max guy or two. If you sign both Horford and Howard this year, you have to make sure one is on a 1 and 1 deal so you retain the right to have that cap space next year.

That is the ONLY contract I'd have any interest in Howard on. You need an out.

I wouldn't mind a slightly longer deal if it were for $10-15 million, since that would also leave us max cap room next year, but if he's looking to get the full $31 million max I'm not even sure I want him in a 1+1 deal

What's the max years we can offer 4? I'd offer him $20 million a year. I think he's still worth it and could make us a threat with another addition. If it was Durant we would be one of the top 4-6 teams IMO.

« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2016, 08:02:41 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Here's what I wonder: is Howard's ego big enough that he'd sign an Amir Johnson // Jonas Jerebko deal at the max? If we don't sign Durant, I'd be all over that.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2016, 08:03:19 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Here's what I wonder: is Howard's ego big enough that he'd sign an Amir Johnson deal at the max? If we don't sign Durant, I'd be all over that.

I'll be ecstatic if he took that deal even though I don't see it as likely 

« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2016, 08:04:36 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Here's what I wonder: is Howard's ego big enough that he'd sign an Amir Johnson // Jonas Jerebko deal at the max? If we don't sign Durant, I'd be all over that.

I'll be ecstatic if he took that deal even though I don't see it as likely

Agreed it's unlikely -- not to mention we'd be one of a variety of teams willing to give it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2016, 08:30:25 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Yeah but our clubbing scene and weather isn't that good so it's gonna be hard to sign him, amirite?

« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2016, 08:34:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Howard will have several offers with a lot of long term guaranteed money on the table. With his injury history, there is no way he turns down guaranteed money for a one year deal to raise his value. He's looking to cash in now one more time while he can, because his next contract opportunities will not be this good.

« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2016, 08:43:44 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Thread to big to search for when this meeting is... Any ideas?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

DH12 leaning BOS or ATL
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2016, 09:07:24 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Eddie Sefko Verified account
‏@ESefko

Hearing that Dwight Howard is leaning toward either Boston or Atlanta. Doesn't look like anybody else is left in the picture.

Mavs beat writer. Mavs apparently out.

« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2016, 09:10:53 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Calvin Watkins
ESPN Staff Writer

When Dwight Howard starts having his free agent meetings on Friday he'll be seeking a contract starting at $24 million a season according to a source. Howard is expected to conduct his meetings in his hometown of Atlanta. Boston and Atlanta have secured the first meetings with the center. Portland and Charlotte have also expressed interest in Howard, who declined a player option with the Rockets at $23.2 million.

Looks like he's aware no one is going to give him the $30 million MAX. Those $5 million are important since it gives us better leeway to keep players on our roster (like say Jerebko) and still fit 2 max contracts if we have legit interest in Dwight.

Re: DH12 leaning BOS or ATL
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2016, 09:12:03 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Parsons supposedly gone for sure from Dallas, so maybe that's part of his consideration. Who knows.

« Reply #205 on: June 30, 2016, 09:12:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If we can negotiate him down to $80 million / 4 years, it may work. Provided the brass is convinced he has a chance of getting his head screwed on straight.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #206 on: June 30, 2016, 09:12:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Calvin Watkins
ESPN Staff Writer

When Dwight Howard starts having his free agent meetings on Friday he'll be seeking a contract starting at $24 million a season according to a source. Howard is expected to conduct his meetings in his hometown of Atlanta. Boston and Atlanta have secured the first meetings with the center. Portland and Charlotte have also expressed interest in Howard, who declined a player option with the Rockets at $23.2 million.

Looks like he's aware no one is going to give him the $30 million MAX. Those $5 million are important since it gives us better leeway to keep players on our roster (like say Jerebko) and still fit 2 max contracts if we have legit interest in Dwight.
I'd give him $24 a year on a one plus one deal. Not really comfortable paying him that much for a longer period of time.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #207 on: June 30, 2016, 09:13:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Calvin Watkins
ESPN Staff Writer

What a guy (sarcasm) ::).

Re: DH12 leaning BOS or ATL
« Reply #208 on: June 30, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'd be stoked if we got Howard please get it done Danny!

I have no doubt Brad can get the most out of him it wouldn't even surprise me to see him make the AS game.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #209 on: June 30, 2016, 09:20:25 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Howard doesn't make much sense for some reason. He doesn't stretch the floor, he's regressing. And he's not a locker room guy. And I don't see DA paying him multiple years, unless some one else wants him, but don't have the cap space and has asked DA to sign him and trade for one of their disgruntled stars....

Like Cousins! LOL

I don't know, it just seem weird that Boston is on Howards radar, he doesn't seem to be basketball oriented. And him wanting to come to Boston has come out of nowheres in the last week. Maybe now that he's 30 he's grown up, and wants to change who he is and earn his respect back....

Or come Feb DA shipping his clown butt out for Butler and McBuckets LOL